Which version of ZOMBI?

The Horrornews forum has been around for years. This is where the wealth of information shared by our community over the years can be read.
stypees back

Which version of ZOMBI?

Post by stypees back »

I just finished watching Anchor Bay's THE BEYOND, haven't seen the film since the EC laserdisc days. I didn't even know David Warbeck passed away, that was kind of a downer.

Fulci mentioned something about Zombi and I remembered that it's supposed to come out this month. Only problem is there are two companies releasing it, BLUE UNDERGROUND which appears to be the company fans love and another one.. The BLUE UNDERGROUND release is single disc while the other company is a double with apparently 4 hours of extra stuff on it.

Was curious to ask which one people were going for? I'm not going to double dip since money is tight but I really want this film on DVD, it's one of my favorites.
[color=DarkSlateBlue]ON TOUR, LIMITED CITIES[/color]

[size=134]STYPEE AND JOYCE[/size]

[color=YellowGreen]LIVE AND IN LOVE: AROUND THE GLOBE[/color]

[font=Courier New]A TOUR YEARS IN THE MAKING![/font]

[color=DarkOrange]COMING TO YOUR TOWN SOON! [/color]

[img]http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/6146/joyce8gz.png[/img]
Latte Thunder

Post by Latte Thunder »

The other company is Shriek Show. I don't know jack about them but a discussion about this at another forum prompted me to lean more toward the SS disc since it has more extras and killer package art.

I'll have to wait for reviews, though, as I've been told that SS (in that same discussion) has had poor audio on their previous releases.
[url=http://www.cinema-suicide.com]Cinema Suicide[/url]
[url=http://soundtracks.cinema-suicide.com]Soundtrack Apocalisse[/url]
MuC

Post by MuC »

im still pissed mine got stolen...:mad:
[url=http://www.myspace.com/dissonance]dissonance[/url]
[url=http://www.myspace.com/pillbrigade]pill brigade[/url]

ABORTION KILLS!!!! isnt that the point?...i love [url=http://www.bountyhunterinc.com/]bounty hunter[/url]

...with glowing pride I'll wear my scars...I'm honored by your hatred...

M-u-C...see you real soon...
masterblaster-rob
Forum Newbie

Post by masterblaster-rob »

I believe Shriek Show is a Media Blasters imprint
Darth Tanner

Post by Darth Tanner »

I went into Best Buy the other day to get this and only found the Blue Underground release. I was hoping to get the double-disc Shriek Show release, but since the BU disc was only $14.99 I decided to pick it up and I was glad I did. The transfer here is absolutely stunning and far better than the horrid Anchor Bay DVD. Only the closing credits seem to be in fair quality for some reason, but the rest of the film looks terrific. This is the best that the film has ever looked and probably ever will. The extras are limited to trailers and TV/radio spots, but there is a cool easter egg containing nine Fulci trailers that fans are sure to appreciate. Despite the lack of extensive extras, this is definitely a quality release by Blue Underground.

It appears that the Shriek Show disc has been delayed for a week or two. Best Buy has it listed on their website as coming out next week, but Mondo Digital's release schedule say August 10. I hope this isn't a sign that it will be postponed indefinitely like some other Shriek Show releases, as this was supposed to have been out a year ago. But I do plan on picking it up when it comes out just for the extras and to compare the quality to the Blue Underground release.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the heavens. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and so... I am a God." - Malcolm McDowell, CALIGULA
------------------

[url=http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=ctanner5]My DVD collection[/url]
Valgamon

Post by Valgamon »

I've had the 2-disc version (Shriek Show?) pre-ordered FOREVER. I'm curious which one I should get, if I should cancel my preorder and wait until there are some comparative reviews, etc.
stypees back

Post by stypees back »

I just went to Amazon because I've got my eye on the Shrek show release as well. According to the site it's been released but as always they raised the farkin' price. When it was announced it was something like $20.95, now it's $24.95. Still, haven't heard shit about the transfer. Amazon does give you an idea of what's on it but it also doesn't say whether or not it's soundtrack has been remastered. I'd like to experience this flick in DTS or DOLBY DIGITAL 5.1. I understand the BLUE UNDERGROUND sound mix is outstanding.

Darth Tanner

Post by Darth Tanner »

If you read the Amazon listing carefully, it says "special order". Meaning that they don't actually have it in stock, but they can order it from another source for you. I noticed that a few copies are being sold by the private marketplace sellers, but you never know which version they are actually selling. The only online retailer that claims to have it in stock is DVDPlanet, so I might go that route unless something happens soon.

The whole wait for the Shriek Show release is frustrating. Best Buy now has the disc listed on their website as available August 17, yet they had the Blue Underground DVD on their shelves the day it came out. I'm glad now that I caved in and got the BU release and I'll wait for SS to get theirs out. I've only waited a year for this, so I'm sure a few more weeks won't kill me:) If you guys don't want to wait forever then by all means get the BU disc. It's only $15 and the transfer is 100 times better than the Anchor Bay version, so you can't go wrong there. If the SS release turns out to be lesser quality, then I'll still hang on to both discs...one for the extras and one for the great transfer.

Edit - yes, the 5.1 soundmix on the Blue Underground disc is amazing. Too bad I don't have a surround-sound system:( But the original mono and Dolby Surround 2.0 are included for those who want the original soundtracks. Best part is that all three options are also available in Italian:)
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the heavens. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and so... I am a God." - Malcolm McDowell, CALIGULA
------------------

[url=http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=ctanner5]My DVD collection[/url]
stypees back

Post by stypees back »

Sounds cool Chuck, might as well just dive in and go for it. For 15 bucks why complain? I'll go over and double check the BEST BUY website to make sure it's still the same price. Over here, our nearest BEST BUY has this thing where they'll put the new releases out for a really great price than up the price a week or so later. It's pretty frusterating.

I do have to question why the Shrek show release is being held back and/or sold at a limited number of retailers. I'm doubting the transfer already. I'm probably going to do the same thing as you, buy both versions. I really want those extras.

DylanDog

Post by DylanDog »

I suspect I'll probably wait until the comparison reviews come in. Frankly I can't see myself buying both.
"This must be settled the way nature intended...with a vicious, bloody fight!!"
Onyx Blackman
Principal
Flatpoint High
[url=http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Nekrodave&type=A]DVDS[/url]
[url=http://www.collectiondx.com/gallery/Collections/Nekrodave/]TOYS[/url]
[url=http://www.myspace.com/nekrodave]MySpace[/url]
Fulci lives
Forum Newbie

Post by Fulci lives »

ok i was really pissed because in my fango mag it said the 2 disc set was sopposed to come out july 27 but no one had it and then the computer said they will have it august 17.
Darth Tanner

Post by Darth Tanner »

Well I finally got the Shriek Show set from Best Buy Wednesday. I've heard stories about people getting copies there, so I searched on BB's website and saw that the store near me had the SS disc in stock. I did the smart thing and ordered it online for in-store pickup. When my order was processed, I drove up there and finally got my hands on it. The price was only $14.99, which is much less than the $24.99 they originally listed but who's complaining:)

First off, the packaging for this set really kicks ass. It has an outer slipcover that houses the keepcase (which to my relief has the original VHS artwork of the "maggot-eye" zombie). Inside the keepcase is a theatrical poster replica and a small comic along with the insert. But what's really important is the content of the discs themselves.

I haven't actually had time to sit down and watch the film in it's entirety, but as best as I could tell this is the same transfer that BU used for their release (the grain in the closing credits is also still there). The only difference is that the SS disc seems to have a bit more contrast in some scenes, but I have to do more comparisons before making a final verdict on which is better. The extras are pretty extensive and mainly consist of interviews (which I have not had a chance to watch yet). There is also an audio commentary by Ian McCollough that seems to be the same that appeared on the laserdisc and the Anchor Bay DVD. The trailers and radio/TV spots from the BU release are missing (not to mention the hidden Fulci trailers). Instead you get one trailer for ZOMBIE and nine previews for Shriek Show's other "zombie" releases including BURIAL GROUND and EROTIC NIGHTS OF THE LIVING DEAD.

I guess it's a no-brainer that fans are going to lean more toward the SS disc for the extras, but anyone also wanting the promotional stuff on the BU disc will want that as well. My best recommendation for fans is to get both of them since they are both $14.99. Anyone who wants to get this ought to go through the same process as I did. Even though BB has the SS disc listed as "in stock" on their website, they apparently aren't putting it on the shelves until another week at least. So it is better to order it online for in-store pickup. Also there is a chance that the $14.99 pricetag on the SS release is a goof, so you might want to get it soon in case they raise the price.
------------------

Gorified

Post by Gorified »

I recently picked up a 4 movie set "Horror rises from the grave" which has Zombie Flesh Eaters (aka, The Beyond, Zombie). This version was released by Brentwood Home Video (BCI Eclipse LLC).

Do any of you guys know of any differences between this one and the others? The run time on my version is ~88 minutes. Is this a stripped down version or full length?
4 out of 5 losers agree, you're cool!
Remo D

Post by Remo D »

I recently picked up a 4 movie set "Horror rises from the grave" which has Zombie Flesh Eaters (aka, The Beyond, Zombie). This version was released by Brentwood Home Video (BCI Eclipse LLC).

'Fraid you got tricked. Brentwood's ZOMBIE FLESH EATERS is actually the third Blind Dead film, HORROR OF THE ZOMBIES. Their NIGHT OF THE GHOUL is THE GHOUL with Peter Cushing and John Hurt, and their ZOMBIE HELL HOUSE is HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY. So you DO get some Fulci. But not THAT one.
My dog's breath smells like peanut butter...

...and I don't even have a dog!
Gorified

Post by Gorified »

Ahhh...thanks for clearing that up! :)

I also picked up some other Fulci flicks (7 Doors of Death & Demonia). I have to say that I was pretty happy with 7 Doors of Death. I thought it was great. Demonia was pretty good but, there were some slow moving plot points that bogged it down a couple times.
4 out of 5 losers agree, you're cool!
stypees back

Post by stypees back »

Originally posted by Gorified
Ahhh...thanks for clearing that up! :)

I also picked up some other Fulci flicks (7 Doors of Death & Demonia). I have to say that I was pretty happy with 7 Doors of Death. I thought it was great. Demonia was pretty good but, there were some slow moving plot points that bogged it down a couple times.

You got hosed again man.. 7 DOORS OF DEATH is the American CUT VERSION of THE BEYOND.

Where are you finding these discs?

Remo D

Post by Remo D »

You got hosed again man.. 7 DOORS OF DEATH is the American CUT VERSION of THE BEYOND.

Not hosed as badly as could be... while it's true that the cut version of THE BEYOND came out as 7 DOORS OF DEATH, the bootleg DVDs bearing the title 7 DOORS OF DEATH actually slap THAT title over the UNCUT version of THE BEYOND!

Kimberly

Post by Kimberly »

Originally posted by Gorified
Demonia was pretty good but, there were some slow moving plot points that bogged it down a couple times.

I think Demonia is pretty bad... not as bad though as Manhattan Baby
stypees back

Post by stypees back »

Originally posted by Kimberly
I think Demonia is pretty bad... not as bad though as Manhattan Baby

Yeah, I agree, I find many of Fulci's film to be slow moving.. There are just films that he's done that simply don't work or bore you to tears. "Manhatten Baby" was so bad I don't remember a single frame. "Don't Torture A Duckling" bored me to tears and while I think "City of the Walking Dead" it still has those moments where you just go "what the fuck?"..

Personally, my favorites are ZOMBI 2, HOUSE BY THE CEMATERY, CITY OF THE WALKING DEAD and BEYOND

Another stinky one is CAT IN THE BRAIN, that was just a rip-off. If your going to show clips from your work than just be honest about it and say "here's a compliation of my work" and not give it a stupid title with a dum and silly subplot. That film was downright embarrassing.

impetigo-on-the-brain

Post by impetigo-on-the-brain »

I bought Zombi 3 for 30 bucks and you know what i was fucking ripped off that movie blows. Did Fulci actually Direct the movie or is it just bullshit? Because it sucked bad!

God damn asians..........Exept Italy or is that in europe? I'll call it Euroaisa!`
Remo D

Post by Remo D »

I bought Zombi 3 for 30 bucks and you know what i was fucking ripped off that movie blows. Did Fulci actually Direct the movie or is it just bullshit? Because it sucked bad!

THAT is a thread unto itself--what happened to ZOMBI 3 is the stuff of legend. Assuming you bought the DVD, watch the supplements for more details.

But essentially, Fulci went to the Philippines to shoot the film--health problems curtailed his schedule and he ultimately put together a "final edit" that ran less than an hour. Since he absolutely refused to come back to the project, Bruno Mattei and Claudio Fragasso were brought in to shoot additional "complementary" footage (with only a few of the same actors) in order to bring the project to feature length.

Neither man accepted credit on the film, and Fulci grudgingly signed the release that allowed the extended version to go out as "his" film--but he always denied it was his work when asked personally.

Yeah--some films are perhaps more fun to learn about than to actually sit through... ask me about ZOMBIE 4 sometime!

I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

Which Zombie 4, Remo? The Virgin Among the Living Dead one? I think it was Virgin that was released as Zombie 4. Or do you mean that Aftermath one?

They both suck.

I found Zombi 3 VERY funny. Don't know if I'd want to own it, but I laughed a LOT. I was the only one amused out of the group though, and I left early. Maybe it falls apart...like I'm told Wax Mask does. I only saw the end of that one, so find it hard to believe the beginninng is good.
[color=Yellow]11/26/65 - 3/9/05[/color]

[b]i miss nme666 and i approve this message.[/b]
Remo D

Post by Remo D »

Which Zombie 4, Remo? The Virgin Among the Living Dead one? I think it was Virgin that was released as Zombie 4. Or do you mean that Aftermath one?

By that, I assume you mean AFTER DEATH, and that's the one I'm referring to. Lousy film--but again, quite the entertaining DVD. Claudio Fragasso directed from his wife's script--and that's about the only justification for calling the film ZOMBIE 4 (he wrote ZOMBI 3 and DID get a screenwriting credit, if not a co-directing one). Therefore, the same Fragasso interview featured on the ZOMBI 3 disc continues on the ZOMBIE 4 DVD.

Couldn't care less about ZOMBIE 5: KILLING BIRDS--this time it was strictly Media Blasters that hopped up the title. AFTER DEATH may never have been called ZOMBIE 4 on the print itself (and Fragasso certainly never called it that), but it WAS released in Japan under that title.

impetigo-on-the-brain

Post by impetigo-on-the-brain »

you know Dawn of the Dead, Zombie, The nights of terror. That is how it was released in Europe right? Because Zombi 3 isn't really zombi 3 its really zombi 4 if you follow the european releases. So then its goes zombi 4 is really zombi 5 which also sucked. it's kinda confusing well anything past 3 { The nights of Terror } sucked anyways so does it matter?

Har Har Har
Remo D

Post by Remo D »

you know Dawn of the Dead, Zombie, The nights of terror. That is how it was released in Europe right? Because Zombi 3 isn't really zombi 3 its really zombi 4 if you follow the european releases.

Depends on whose releases you're willing to follow. Bianchi and company had no more "right" to call their film ZOMBIE III than Fulci had to name his ZOMBI 2. Something tells me that ALIEN 2 wasn't exactly authorized, either. Oh, and Umberto Lenzi's GHOSTHOUSE? That's called HOUSE 3 in Italy.

Nevertheless, the "official" follow-up to Fulci's ZOMBI 2 is Fulci's ZOMBI 3. And since it was written by Fragasso, he had unofficial "dibs" to the title ZOMBIE 4--even though he never actually used it.

And since nobody mentioned DEMONS? There's DEMONS 3: THE OGRE and DEMONS 3: BLACK DEMONS. The Bava film gets the "right" to it. But then again, THE CHURCH was also mislabelled DEMONS 3 in Japan... THE SECT became DEMONS 4, and MASK OF SATAN became DEMONS 5.