Open Water

The Horrornews forum has been around for years. This is where the wealth of information shared by our community over the years can be read.
Remo D

Open Water

Post by Remo D »

Here was an encouraging change of pace in this moviegoing year. It's not quite the BLAIR WITCH MEETS JAWS that people keep trying to peg it as... for one thing, the sharks are not as huge a part of the film as the publicity may lead one to think--on the other hand, they're all real, and the feeling of "being there" is something OPEN WATER has on its side from beginning to end.

You know, it's not a perfect film--it can get a little bit draggy at times, and the "seasick cam" may really get to some of you. But it's short, to the point, and has a way of gnawing at you (pun most certainly intended). We all wanted it to be an "instant classic" and take the year by storm. It's not quite that, but it's more than worth a look if you want some relief from the over-produced business that's been clogging theatres for most of the year, and it knows how to exploit genuine fear.

So just get ready for the "it's not really a horror film" arguments. Hell with that. It aims to frighten and disturb and it does so quite admirably.
My dog's breath smells like peanut butter...

...and I don't even have a dog!
Kimberly

Post by Kimberly »

It's an hour an a half of my life that I will never have back. I found it to be a totally over-hyped steaming pile of a movie. There was nothing I liked about the characters... and if you're going to have the film stay/focus on two people the entire time at least let it be interesting. My husband was fighting to stay awake... and when it was over all I could do was look over at him and tell him I was sorry for dragging his ass out to see it. Yes... at times it was a little tense. I actually enjoyed the night/storm scene... as short as that part was. Kudos for the actors and everyone else who got very up close with the sharks... but the only time the audience let out a collective gasp and perk up with interest was when we got to see the lead's bush.

No Sir, I didn't like it...
shawn

Post by shawn »

Spoiler....

I should have just taken my $9.00 and tossed it in the fucking street. This is the most "over-hyped" piece of shit I have ever seen in my life. If its based on a true story I glad both of those yuppie fucks are dead. FUCK THIS MOVIE. Do not waste your money.

If you know someone that works at the theatre and they can get you in free, PASS on it! The fat shit I took this morning was more satisfying...
Check out my MOVIE: Black Devi Doll

[url]http://www.blackdevildoll.com[/url]

[url]http://www.myspace.com/blackdevildolldvd[/url]
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

I really liked it, but thought it didn't need the as much set up. Just dump 'em in the water, then have more footage of 'em in the water. It's not about who's in the water, it's about being in the water. Who cares who they are, it's something everyone can identify with, so you don't need to identify with the character first.

Lila Moss will probably come on and say that it sucked, but don't listen to her (or Shawn or Kimberly for that matter) because it is very good. It's just not really a shark movie.

Now I want to see Lifeboat...
[color=Yellow]11/26/65 - 3/9/05[/color]

[b]i miss nme666 and i approve this message.[/b]
shawn

Post by shawn »

Originally posted by I am 138
I really liked it, but thought it didn't need the as much set up. Just dump 'em in the water, then have more footage of 'em in the water. It's not about who's in the water, it's about being in the water. Who cares who they are, it's something everyone can identify with, so you don't need to identify with the character first.

Lila Moss will probably come on and say that it sucked, but don't listen to her (or Shawn or Kimberly for that matter) because it is very good. It's just not really a shark movie.

Now I want to see Lifeboat...

You, my friend are clueless. This move was flaccid, boring, and so not scary. You need a little more than simply "being" in the water... So it wasn't a "shark movie" point taken. Its not a good movie either.

Kimberly

Post by Kimberly »

Lila Moss will probably come on and say that it sucked, but listen to her (& Shawn & Kimberly for that matter) because it is very BAD.

;)
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

Originally posted by shawn
You, my friend are clueless. This move was flaccid, boring, and so not scary. You need a little more than simply "being" in the water... So it wasn't a "shark movie" point taken. Its not a good movie either.

Shawn, I think you were just upset that the bush shot came so early.

Yeah, it wasn't a movie with well rounded characters and tons of action, but for what it was on an obviously small budget, it's very well done. Yes, the stuff at the beginning was dull, but once they're in the water, I was thouroughly pleased from then on. Could it have been better? Sure. But I thought it had the right level of dread moments where something happened to the couple and that these moments were properly spaced out. I think there could've been more footage in the water and less on land, but otherwise was very pleased with the film.

Was I scared? No. But what was the last movie to scare me? Night of the Living Dead. When I was eight.

I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

Originally posted by Kimberly
I've never spent an hour an a half of my life better. I found it to be a brilliant pile of cinema. The characterization was excellent... and since they're going to have the film stay/focus on two people the entire time that made it very interesting. My husband was fighting to not wet himself with fear... and when it was over all I could do was look over at him and tell him it was okay because we would never go scuba diving. Yes... at times it was too tense for me. The best part was the night/storm scene... . Kudos for the actors and everyone else who got very up close with the sharks... and the biggest gasp from the audience was when we got to see the shark under the woman.

Yes sir, I didn't like it...I loved it.

shawn

Post by shawn »

Shawn, I think you were just upset that the bush shot came so early.

bush shots peppered throughout the movie might have saved this mess...

shawn

Post by shawn »

PS: and I prefer totally shaved boxes for the record.

TheZoo

Post by TheZoo »

Yeah, it sucked.

I am 138 actually thinks it's the best movie of the year. :rolleyes: I am not suprised you liked it though, you weirdo.
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

Your opinion doesn't count. You said that Hunting Humans was better than Open Water. Obviously, you're delirious.

TheZoo

Post by TheZoo »

Your opinion doesn't count. You said that Hunting Humans was better than Open Water. Obviously, you're delirious.

I did not pay ANY MONEY to watch Hunting Humans. Therefore, it was better.

Besides Hunting Humans was great and I, smart.
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

Yes, but time is money, and Hunting Humans was almost a complete waste of time, therefore it cost MORE.

And if you didn't like Open Water, why is it reprsented in your signature?

TheZoo

Post by TheZoo »

That is the movie I was hoping for. A SHARK MOVIE.

Who was the one that had Hunting Humans on their Netflix list. THAT WAS YOU!

Then you tried to make me watch the crap in the water movie The Isle.
Kimberly

Post by Kimberly »

Originally posted by Lila Moss
Then you tried to make me watch the crap in the water movie The Isle.

I really liked The Isle...

And 138... that's my trick :llama:

PS... Open Water SUCKED!!
jga5000

Post by jga5000 »

the last movie that was over hyped and low budget like this was Blair Witch Project....I think I'll pass on this one
ROBERT

Post by ROBERT »

Saw it tonight. I wasn't expecting much and not much is what I got. Some palpable tension toward the end, saves it. It's certainly overrated. But as an excercise in no budget ingenuity it's good. It at least proves a watchable film can still be had for very little money.
"I don't want to be called an "artist." "Acting like an "artist" is synonymous to acting like an asshole."

Asia Argento
Morbid

Post by Morbid »

This movies storyline reminds me of Phonebooth...

Open Water - 2 People are stuck in the middle of an ocean for the whole movie

Phonebooth - A guy stuck in a phone booth for the whole movie
[color="Red"]Twitter... because texting whilst driving [i]isn't[/i] dangerous enough...[/color]
"Almost ran over a bicyclist because he didn't stop at the stop sign, idiot."
"Oops, ran over a bicyclist while writing that last twit."

Me on Myspace - [url]http://www.myspace.com/johndevosofficial[/url]
Me on YouTube - [url]http://www.youtube.com/user/johnthedrummer88[/url]
impetigo-on-the-brain

Post by impetigo-on-the-brain »

Originally posted by Morbid
This movies storyline reminds me of Phonebooth...

Open Water - 2 People are stuck in the middle of an ocean for the whole movie

Phonebooth - A guy stuck in a phone booth for the whole movie

Yeha i think its jsut a way to release an exteremly low budgit movie in theaters. Tey don't have to worry about stuff like scences or sets its all in the water. Same with phone booth it was only one street.

Har Har Har
Kimberly

Post by Kimberly »

Originally posted by impetigo-on-the-brain
Same with phone booth it was only one street.

Least I enjoyed Phonebooth :D
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

All through Phonebooth I thought only one thing: I wish Hitchcock HAD made it.

Oooo, can you imagine how good Open Water would be if Hitch had directed it? That's right, even better!

impetigo-on-the-brain

Post by impetigo-on-the-brain »

Yeah, I might rent Open Water when it comes out. But i'm going to see it in theaters. I saw AvP in theaters and it was kinda a let down. It was better then i thoguth it would be anyways.

Har Har har