A Dirty Shame

The Horrornews forum has been around for years. This is where the wealth of information shared by our community over the years can be read.
Kimberly

A Dirty Shame

Post by Kimberly »

The last good movie I can think of that John Waters has done is Serial Mom. I didn't care for Pecker (though it did have a funny moment here and there) and I really disliked Cecil B. Demented...

A Dirty Shame was horrible, I liked it better then Cecil (but that's not saying much). It has a funny part or two, otherwise it just wasn't funny. It became tiresome after about 30min.

As the movie was getting ready to wind down all I could think of was that John Waters will never make another Female Trouble or Desperate Living... he'll never make another Pink Flamingos or a Serial Mom for that matter. I'm saddened to say I think all he can make at this point is just crappy movies :/
stypees back

Post by stypees back »

Kimberly wrote:The last good movie I can think of that John Waters has done is Serial Mom. I didn't care for Pecker (though it did have a funny moment here and there) and I really disliked Cecil B. Demented...

A Dirty Shame was horrible, I liked it better then Cecil (but that's not saying much). It has a funny part or two, otherwise it just wasn't funny. It became tiresome after about 30min.

As the movie was getting ready to wind down all I could think of was that John Waters will never make another Female Trouble or Desperate Living... he'll never make another Pink Flamingos or a Serial Mom for that matter. I'm saddened to say I think all he can make at this point is just crappy movies :/
Saying John Waters makes "crappy movies" is an understatement. That's what the guy does. It's his intentions. Yeah he made a few "shiney" looking hollywood flicks, cry baby, hairspray, cecil b. demented and serial mom but the whole point of a John Waters film is the pure ugliness of it all. An ugliness that points to hysteria.

Now I can't comment on the film because I've yet to see it, so I have no grounds for debate. But I kind of get the vibe the Waters is attempting to go back to his roots before he started making "shiney" hollywood looking movies.

The pleasure of watching films like "Desperate Living", "Female Trouble" and "Pink Flamingos" was that there were absurd, ugly yet funny. It was trash cinema that one could sit through from start to finish and not get bored. I'm not saying I disagree with you just yet, I still have to see the film. But you really have to look at a Waters film as just that crappy. That's what I love about them.

I agree with you on Cecil B. Demented, I tried so hard to like that movie. I even lied to myself in believing that I did the problem was that it was in fact to polished, even for it's minimal budget. His message was great but you can't really get that message across if the film itself looks to dam polished (and when I say polished I mean it was shot with nice cameras, nice sound and had a real crew) I still feel he hasn't lost his touch just yet my only gripe about Waters was that dam HAIRSPRAY show on broadway but than again Waters was never afraid to say that'd he'd sell out and if this brings him the funds to create more schlock, than let him keep going. Regardless, every Waters film is a bad film but a bad film in a way that we've somehow grown to love (excluding a few studio pictures) I loved Pecker by the way.

I guess he's just going through a phase right now, I still got my faith in him.

Just my opinion :)
[color=DarkSlateBlue]ON TOUR, LIMITED CITIES[/color]

[size=134]STYPEE AND JOYCE[/size]

[color=YellowGreen]LIVE AND IN LOVE: AROUND THE GLOBE[/color]

[font=Courier New]A TOUR YEARS IN THE MAKING![/font]

[color=DarkOrange]COMING TO YOUR TOWN SOON! [/color]

[img]http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/6146/joyce8gz.png[/img]
shawn

Post by shawn »

Kimberly wrote:The last good movie I can think of that John Waters has done is Serial Mom. I didn't care for Pecker (though it did have a funny moment here and there) and I really disliked Cecil B. Demented...

I kind of liked it, (I was pretty high though...) I'll never watch it again, and I won't buy the DVD when it comes out so I didn't like it that much but it was entertaining for what it was. The best was two old fucks (in their 60's or early 70's) sitting in front of us. Just watching them squirm in their seats and shake their heads, and eventually walk out was more than worth it.
Check out my MOVIE: Black Devi Doll

[url]http://www.blackdevildoll.com[/url]

[url]http://www.myspace.com/blackdevildolldvd[/url]
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

I thought Pecker was one of Waters' funniest.

"Full of grace..."
[color=Yellow]11/26/65 - 3/9/05[/color]

[b]i miss nme666 and i approve this message.[/b]
Kimberly

Post by Kimberly »

shawn wrote:I kind of liked it, (I was pretty high though...) I'll never watch it again, and I won't buy the DVD when it comes out so I didn't like it that much but it was entertaining for what it was. The best was two old fucks (in their 60's or early 70's) sitting in front of us. Just watching them squirm in their seats and shake their heads, and eventually walk out was more than worth it.

Aside from a few parts (Tracy doing the hokey pokey had me on the floor) it just got real tired, real fast for me. Was like he was trying too hard to be "shocking" or do old school Waters. I dunno... lately everything I've been going to see has been either so so (Shaun of the Dead) or a total let down (Open Water)...

I was stoned too when I went to see it and it still didn't do anything for me. For me if I'm in that shape and I still don't enjoy the movie... then it's pretty bad... cause it's rare to be baked and NOT be able to enjoy a movie.
Latte Thunder

Post by Latte Thunder »

This is playing near me at the end of the month. I'm a pretty big Waters fan, though I admit his golden days are long over, but I'll still check it out.

Also, saw the ad for Seed of Chucky at Shaun of the Dead and couldn't help noticing that Waters is in it, even if for just a cameo.
[url=http://www.cinema-suicide.com]Cinema Suicide[/url]
[url=http://soundtracks.cinema-suicide.com]Soundtrack Apocalisse[/url]
kipper

Post by kipper »

Looked like Waters' role in Seed of Chucky may even be a bit part, from the preview.