Gates of Hell ending

The Horrornews forum has been around for years. This is where the wealth of information shared by our community over the years can be read.
fulcifan

Gates of Hell ending

Post by fulcifan »

Hey, I was wondering if eny of you understood the ending for Gates of Hell.
Remo D

Post by Remo D »

The question that will not die...

Fulci himself was quoted as not understanding it himself ("You tell me, and then we'll both know!"), but I boiled it down to something pretty simple.

The characters say that if they don't close those gates before midnight, then it will be too late--that no dead body will ever rest in peace again.

And BEFORE they get to the priest, the heroine says "Guess what--it's midnight!"

So they DIDN'T close the gates in time. Sure, they staked the priest, and he burned up, and so did the zombies standing next to him. But the evil force possessing him simply moved on.

I imagine that when the boy was running up to greet his parents, they saw something he didn't... probably an undead hand tearing up through the earth in front of him--as the freeze-frame hits and the screen shatters, I figure that he was just about to get grabbed and chewed--and take it from there.
My dog's breath smells like peanut butter...

...and I don't even have a dog!
shawn

Post by shawn »

Remo D wrote:The question that will not die...

Fulci himself was quoted as not understanding it himself ("You tell me, and then we'll both know!"), but I boiled it down to something pretty simple.

The characters say that if they don't close those gates before midnight, then it will be too late--that no dead body will ever rest in peace again.

And BEFORE they get to the priest, the heroine says "Guess what--it's midnight!"

So they DIDN'T close the gates in time. Sure, they staked the priest, and he burned up, and so did the zombies standing next to him. But the evil force possessing him simply moved on.

I imagine that when the boy was running up to greet his parents, they saw something he didn't... probably an undead hand tearing up through the earth in front of him--as the freeze-frame hits and the screen shatters, I figure that he was just about to get grabbed and chewed--and take it from there.

Pretty much what I always assumed it meant... Fulci talk always makes me want to pop in The Beyond. Got a new sub woofer last week I think I'll test out the Beyond on it tonight... Still my favorite of Fulci's films... If you don't like The Beyond you are GAY. Period. Where is that Fag Al Shevy???
Check out my MOVIE: Black Devi Doll

[url]http://www.blackdevildoll.com[/url]

[url]http://www.myspace.com/blackdevildolldvd[/url]
MattV

Post by MattV »

shawn wrote:If you don't like The Beyond you are GAY. Period.
LOL, I've got the Limited Edition Tin Box Set of The Beyond #16940/20000
complete with Fulci interviews and a kickass Necrophagia Music video for "And you will live in terror". I actually got it at sam goody if you can believe that.
[img]http://a695.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/16/l_43ca52bb574b898e47c1fc2a070dbc56.gif[/img]
[img]http://a666.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/11/l_908015b4c7658b7a503715d1757d15d1.jpg[/img]
wofshevy

Shawn You ASS MUNCHER

Post by wofshevy »

I never said I did not like the BEYOND. I said it is not Fulci's best movie. I still like and WILL ALWAYS like ZOMBIE and GATES OF HELL better. Sorry man thats me. I just think THE BEYOND is ok. NOT a masterpiece.I dont worship it like you. I bet you would give the head of some secret organization a blow job to prove that you were serious about THE BEYOND. HAHAHAHAHAHA. HAd to get that TEAM AMERICA dig in. By the way. Zombie is the dick. Gates of HEll is the pussy. The Beyond is THe asshole. Now The beyond is just a inch and a half from Gates of Hell and Zombie.HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
Later
Al
Latte Thunder

Post by Latte Thunder »

I've always scratched my head over the fanboyism of The Beyond. While I certainly won't shit on it, I think it's a pretty awesome flick. However, I think the guy has done much better with Gates of Hell or New York Ripper, a downright savage movie in the violence department. I even think some of his non-horror movies trump his horror flicks. Contraband is one of his best. Period.
[url=http://www.cinema-suicide.com]Cinema Suicide[/url]
[url=http://soundtracks.cinema-suicide.com]Soundtrack Apocalisse[/url]
Remo D

Post by Remo D »

Oh, and coincidentally, I watched Blue Undeground's DVD of CONQUEST yesterday. They make a big case about it being remastered from the original negative, far improved over twenty years of shoddy VHS, etc.

Well, guess what. You know they did their best, but it's STILL set in a world in which the sun has been commandeered, and three-quarters of it STILL takes place in a fog bank or a day-for-night effect. Sorry, people. It's a DARK movie. It's a FUZZY movie. And it always WILL be.

But yes, the occasional gore-splash (the brain smash, the woman being split open) would stand out a bit more.

Okay, I'm a Fulci completist... but I don't think CONQUEST will ever be anyone's favorite movie.
My dog's breath smells like peanut butter...

...and I don't even have a dog!
FUlci

Post by FUlci »

Oh I was going to get that i guess i wont now. wofshevey is a clown :headshot:
IM RUNNIN' THIS MONKEY FARM NOW FRANKINSTIEN, AND I WANT TO KNOW WHAT THE FUCK YOUR DOIN' WITH MY TIME! :machine:

WHY ARE YOU WASTING YOUR DAMN BULLETS YOU JERKS? YOU GOTTA HIT THEM IN THE HEAD YOU SEE? LIKE THIS! :headshot: