Battle Royale

The Horrornews forum has been around for years. This is where the wealth of information shared by our community over the years can be read.
bRRt

Battle Royale

Post by bRRt »

I watched the special version the other day, I fucking love this movie. I heard the second one sucked, if you've seen it(the second one) let me know how it is, I trust your judgement. Also, can you give some good suggestions for ultra-violent japanese movies? good mind fuck movies are cool too, basically any movie that makes "normal" people uncomfortable.
HILLARY CLINTON in '08

And then God said unto me "If my dog was as ugly as you, I'd shave it's ass and teach it to walk backwards".

:devildoll :mad: :llama: :mad: :devildoll

"blood in the streets it's up to my ankles
blood in the streets it's up to my knees"
-The Doors

"If I had a dollar for every brain you didn't have, I'd have one dollar"
{DeAdGuY}

Post by {DeAdGuY} »

If you dont have GUINEA PIG
I suggest you get it !

also
Biotherapy + Naked Blood .
I dont know how ultra-violent they are but
I know theres some lovely gore scenes.
No comment on BR2.
bRRt

Post by bRRt »

kick ass. where can I find these? online? or is there a specialty store where I can order these?
HILLARY CLINTON in '08

And then God said unto me "If my dog was as ugly as you, I'd shave it's ass and teach it to walk backwards".

-The Doors

jga5000

Post by jga5000 »

I was thinking of getting Battle Royale II, I saw it for a couple bucks at this one site I buy asian DVD's by the dozen: http://www.gothamcityent.com

Naked Blood (yeah, this one is gory, $6 over at the site I posted, woman eats her own camel toe), Guinea Pig series, Men Behind the Sun, Organ(ordered this recently, hopefully it is good), Untold Story (dude drinking piss makes people uncomfortable, Chinese movie I think though), Tetsuo: Iron Man (one of my favs, not gory but just crazy as fuck editing), Ichi the Killer, Gozu (you gotta see the strange ending), Fist of the Northstar (goriest anime I hear) come to mind with extreme Japanese films.
Kimberly

Post by Kimberly »

Battle Royale II is horrible... or at least I thought so. It also has a very anti American feel to the movie...besides just being completely crappy...

As for mindfuck movies... check out Old Boy... it's AMAZING!

Guinea Pig movies... Flower of Flesh and Blood was my favorite until I saw The Devil's Experiment... He Never Dies is a funny entry and Mermaid in a Manhole is eh... not as good as the others.

Other Asian ones I enjoy... Evil Dead Trap... as well as it's sequel which I find to be even better then the first one (still need to watch the third one). Untold Story was mentioned and yeah... that's a good one... Versus and Junk I enjoyed as well as silly ones like Bio-Zombie and Wild Zero.

Beat Takeshi movies are good... they are slow though and a bit artsy but when the bits of violence happen... I find them to be violent... not all graphic and splattery though like say in something like Kichiku... Fireworks and Sonatine or Violent Cop are good ones of his...

There's Guts of a Beauty... as well as Guts of a Virgin...

There are the films of Miike... Ichi the Killer (my favorite of his), Audition, Gozu (which I liked at first and hated by the end), Visitor Q (which is crazy!)... and his countless other movies

You may wanna check out some other countries stuff besides Asia... There are German goodies like Schramm... Italian ones like Canibal Holocaust... Spanish films such as Aftermath... and sooooooo many other great films
jga5000

Post by jga5000 »

yeah Oldboy, that movie was brilliant, it gets shocking at the end, the whole movie is set up for that one sick revelation :eek:
Latte Thunder

Post by Latte Thunder »

If sick and excessive shock/horror is what you're looking for, then Japan is the place to go. Their system produced some of the most gut churning stuff I've ever seen and a lot of them I wish I could wipe from my memory.

There's Pinochio 964, which is coming soon from Unearthed. It's not really all that bloody, but it'll really get inside your head. It's one of those deep experimental movies like Tetsuo The Iron Man.

The Entrails of a Virgin/Beautiful Woman movies are pretty severe and will probably make you feel like less of a human being for watching.

The All Night Long series is a cavalcade of atrocity and human misery.

The Guinea Pig series is a little overhyped, in my opinion. When FLower of Flesh and Blood was a bootleg-only tape in the trade scene, it had an almost mythical status that bordered on the criminal but now that it's widely available, some of its mystique has faded. Devil's Experiment, Flower of Flesh and Blood and Mermaid in a Manhole are still extremely twisted and nasty. For a laugh, He Never Dies is hilarious and bloody. There's a Guinea Pig boxed set coming out in January, allegedly.

Kichiku Dai-Enkai isn't so much a horror movie, but it does have some extremely intense violence.

For zombies, there's Junk, a sort of cross between Dawn of the Dead and Reservoir Dogs; Wild Zero, a cross between Night of the Living Dead and Rock and Roll High School; and Stacy which is just silly.

There's a shitload of ghost movies since they're still all the rage in Japan as everyone is striving to make the next Ringu. Most of them are shit, but there are a couple of gems like Ju-On.

For a mind-fuck, you can check out Uzumaki. There were a couple of deeply unsettling creeps in that one.

If you want to see some geysers of blood, the samurai thing is always a safe bet. Lone Wolf and Cub, the babycart movies, have plenty of dismemberments and arterial sprays.

I'll back up the Miike consensus, too. I think the guy works too much and his most recent offerings were really mediocre, but there was a spot in his career that is really good. Audition is a very slow moving flick, but it has this third act which is basically just twenty minutes of torture. Dead or Alive, the first one, has some great hyperkinetic violence and one of the best endings in a movie I've ever seen. Fudoh is also extremely violent and features some really mind bending plot twists. Everyone's seen Ichi by now so I won't even bother. He's a director definitely worth checking out.

For China, there's the whole Category 3 line of movies. On the whole, they're really intense and have very little in the way of redeeming values but you can always look up Untold Story, which is just mean. There's also Daughter of Darkness and Red To Kill, which are both extremely difficult movies to get through. Red To Kill has a very depressing ending. Men Behind the Sun is also difficult to watch. It's semi-sequel, the Nanking Massacre is heavy, too. It has some extreme violence in it, but it also includes footage of the actual Nanking massacre.

Korea seems to keep the extreme violence out of their movies, for the most part, but I'm also of the opinion that Korea is the source of the best asian movies right now. Old Boy is one of the best movies I've ever seen. There's also Arahan, a funny martial arts/superhero movie; R-Point, a pretty decent ghost movie; Volcano High, more martial-arts/comic book silliness. They have a pretty awesome thing happening over there in Korea.
[url=http://www.cinema-suicide.com]Cinema Suicide[/url]
[url=http://soundtracks.cinema-suicide.com]Soundtrack Apocalisse[/url]
bRRt

Post by bRRt »

thanks for all the suggestions, I've been meaning to look into other countries movies(such as Germany and Italy). I'm just getting into these films and am totally obsesed now... I've seen Fist of the North Star, and I've seen Ichi the Killer(un-cut) as well as BR(un-cut), god I love this shit. And I don't mind the artsy style films, nothing wrong with a little thought with your gore. :D
HILLARY CLINTON in '08

-The Doors

paradox

Post by paradox »

BR 2 sucks ass.....WAY too much drama and not enough gore/violence to balance out the INSANE amount of drama!!!

example

BR 1: 2 minutes of drama to 10 minutes of fucked up shit

BR 2: 10 minutes of drama to 2 minutes of fucked up shit

....i was SO disapointed....well except for when they were getting the lowdown on the game at hand....that was a good scene.
[img]http://www.deanguitars.com/dimenewsdec9.jpg[/img]
paradox

Post by paradox »

bRRt wrote:kick ass. where can I find these? online? or is there a specialty store where I can order these?
i get all my hard to find movies from
here
[img]http://www.deanguitars.com/dimenewsdec9.jpg[/img]
{DeAdGuY}

Post by {DeAdGuY} »

bRRt wrote:kick ass. where can I find these? online? or is there a specialty store where I can order these?
Image is a good place to look.
Latte Thunder

Post by Latte Thunder »

yesasia.com and playasia.com are good sources for all your dvd needs. You may want to consider a region free DVD player, too. It opens up a whole new world of movies to you.
[url=http://www.cinema-suicide.com]Cinema Suicide[/url]
[url=http://soundtracks.cinema-suicide.com]Soundtrack Apocalisse[/url]
beyond

Post by beyond »

Latte: I agree on everything you said, seems like we dig the same stuff except for this little part:
Latte Thunder wrote:Dead or Alive, the first one, has some great hyperkinetic violence and one of the best endings in a movie I've ever seen.
I was discussing DOA with a friend and asked him what he thought about the ending and he just replied: "That's what's cool with Miike, if he feels like throwing in some crazy shit that makes sense to no one but himself, he just does it". I didn't like the ending at all, it feels like a very rushed thing?

If it would have been a more reasonable ending i'd probably rate DOA as my #1 japmovie, now it just feels like since they opened that can of worms they could've gone far more over the top than that... OK, to be honest: All the parts in the DOA series have fucked up endings but i still wish it had stayed more in the real world.

So i'm curious, what am i missing here?
Latte Thunder

Post by Latte Thunder »

I'm really the only person I know of who's seen the movie and thinks the ending rocks. The entire pace of DOA is actualy quite slow, but the ending explodes out of left field and is so ridiculous that it made me laugh... a lot. Whenever I explain the movie to people, I tend to speak highly of the ending but speak in vague enough terms that I don't give anything away. I know anyone who would see it based on my recommendation would probably think I was nuts raving about the end battle, but I love it. It's just insane.
DylanDog

Post by DylanDog »

I like the ending of DOA as well. I think the 2nd in the series is my favorite though.
"This must be settled the way nature intended...with a vicious, bloody fight!!"
Onyx Blackman
Principal
Flatpoint High
[url=http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Nekrodave&type=A]DVDS[/url]
[url=http://www.collectiondx.com/gallery/Collections/Nekrodave/]TOYS[/url]
[url=http://www.myspace.com/nekrodave]MySpace[/url]
Kimberly

Post by Kimberly »

I still need to watch pts. 2 & 3 of DOA... I totally enjoyed the first one though...

Daughter of Darkeness is sooooo good... the sequel though isn't so great...
beyond

Post by beyond »

Latte Thunder wrote:I'm really the only person I know of who's seen the movie and thinks the ending rocks. The entire pace of DOA is actualy quite slow, but the ending explodes out of left field and is so ridiculous that it made me laugh... a lot. Whenever I explain the movie to people, I tend to speak highly of the ending but speak in vague enough terms that I don't give anything away. I know anyone who would see it based on my recommendation would probably think I was nuts raving about the end battle, but I love it. It's just insane.
Muhaha!
Thanks, i was afraid everybody saw something that i didn't :p