The Ring Two--deer, deer...

The Horrornews forum has been around for years. This is where the wealth of information shared by our community over the years can be read.
Remo D

The Ring Two--deer, deer...

Post by Remo D »

Well, it's here at last. Did bringing original Japanese director Hideo Nakata back prove to be a good move? I suppose about as good as it could have been. Hey, it's not his fault--he originated the material, and he knows how it's supposed to look and how it's supposed to play.

The trouble is, by this time, so do WE. And it just isn't scary anymore. The girl-ghost with long black hair is now just as overused as the blonde girl-ghost bouncing the white ball.

And since we're still watching an American film designed specifically for those who thought that the first American RING was the be-all-end-all, we also know what NOT to expect. We've got the potential for one of the most devastating conclusions in horror history, but it doesn't build any suspense at all, because you just KNOW they're never going to to through with it--that they're going to try and have it both ways. And yet the conclusion still leaves one hell of a lot of stuff unresolved... we'll talk later when you've either seen it or decided that you never will.

Yeah, the cameos work pretty well--there's one big name they save for a while (you probably already know it), but for my money, I got a bigger kick out of Gary Cole's appearance--he gets the best line in the film (which I'll also hold off on revealing). And there are a few effective bits here and there, I'll grant them that... though NOTHING made me jump. (If you saw RINGU 2, you know that this isn't truly a remake, but Nakata did restage the best part of that earlier film towards the end, small mercy.)

However, it's the "deer" scene that's determined to live in infamy for a very long time. I guess that since the CGI horse-abuse was such a memorable part of the first RING, we just had to do the "animal" bit again--and this is almost worth paying to see. Apparently, the deer are supposed to look sinister and menacing as they stare--but that's not the effect it had on me. Remember the REN & STIMPY episode where Ren was taking a sponge bath and everybody was watching him through the window? Remember the expression on the horse's face? You see what I'm getting at...

It's going to do well, particularly in its opening weekend, but THE RING TWO (unsurprisingly) isn't worth recommending. It's only fair to point out, though, that this isn't CURSED. This isn't the sort of film that made me ANGRY--not only that I'd sat through it, but that it even existed. It wasn't "offensively" bad. It's just par for the course... it's just the very latest (for now) entry in the overplayed "black-haired ghost" sweepstakes and destined to fade out of memory (except for the deer scene, of course) before its time.
My dog's breath smells like peanut butter...

...and I don't even have a dog!
Laibach

My Ring 2 Review

Post by Laibach »

It was fucking AWFUL. not much more to say except i wasnt really surprised at how awful it was. So save your money and dont be tempted to go see this piece of crap cause its a waste. Oh and one other thing. that little boy in that movie should be fucking taken and killed immediately cause hes fucking creepy looking and does weird shit with his mouth and blinks too much. FUCK THAT GUY!

:machine:
mickey brown-eye

Post by mickey brown-eye »

20 or 30 years from now someone will resurct mystery science Theater 3000. Most likley with a new name and scenario, but it will generally be the same concept. This movie will be one of the first that gets ripped on along with Sky Captain and Phantom of the Opera (2005). This was a ripping bore, nothing happened. The lead actress whose name excapes me at the moment was not as believable as in the first one and the line after she crawls out of the well and says "I'm not your fucking mommy!" almost made me wet my pants with laughter. Arnold she is not. "I like you Samara, I kill you last."
I did like when the doc injected herself with air though.
:headshot: [font=Comic Sans MS][size=167][color=YellowGreen][b]chunks[/b][/color][/size][/font]
[url=http://www.myspace.com/httpwwwmyspacecommickeybrowneye]Mickey Brown-eye Myspace[/url]
[url=http://www.myspace.com/umbilicalparricide]Umbilical Parricide Myspace[/url]
KenSONATA

Post by KenSONATA »

HORRIBLE.

CRAP.

COMPLETE SHIT.

and to top if off, the mother of the should-be-dead bitch looked like Michael fucking Jackson!
[i][size=75][url=http://www.sonataband.com/songs/studiomontage.wmv]sonata STUDIO montage - for new 6 song EP[/url]
"Ophidian, please, please, please… go fuck a chainsaw."[/i] - BLB[/size]
[align=center][color=DarkOrange]I wanna devise a virus
to bring dire straits to your environment
crush your corporations with a mild touch
trash your whole computer system and revert you to papyrus[/color][/align]
Remo D

Post by Remo D »

KenSONATA wrote:HORRIBLE.

CRAP.

COMPLETE SHIT.

and to top if off, the mother of the should-be-dead bitch looked like Michael fucking Jackson!
Didn't recognize Sissy Spacek? I thought she was one of the better things in it.

I didn't think much of the film myself, but it's interesting to see just how much everyone seems to HATE it. Maybe this WILL help.

Saw the trailer for the DARK WATER remake and it was amazing just how much it seems to resemble RING TWO. If RING TWO is blasted across the boards, then DARK WATER is headed for a terrible fall...

Well, the RING cycle was bound to burn out eventually. But we're still not out of the woods. Is there a cure for Kevin Williamson yet?
My dog's breath smells like peanut butter...

...and I don't even have a dog!
Latte Thunder

Post by Latte Thunder »

Remo D wrote:But we're still not out of the woods. Is there a cure for Kevin Williamson yet?
One round of high velocity lead...

I'm going to check this out tonight. Expectations are low. Comments to follow.

and a question to everyone who HATED this movie: What were you expecting? People go to see these half-assed Hollywood horrors and then come back here to rant and rave about how much the movie sucked, and the thoughts are so jam-packed with vitriol that it gives them the tone of being ripped off. Seriously, what the hell were you expecting when you forked over your hard earned money for a ticket to a movie that you could smell a mile away?

I'm really curious about this because you see the same names in the same threads about the same new releases and every post is filled with spit and fury as if you were all expecting to get something decent out of a mass-marketed genre movie. Everybody posting here has been around long enough to understand that the Hollywood machine isn't pushing for quality product, it's all about meeting the lowest common denominator and putting as many asses in seats.
[url=http://www.cinema-suicide.com]Cinema Suicide[/url]
[url=http://soundtracks.cinema-suicide.com]Soundtrack Apocalisse[/url]
AllocesThroat

Post by AllocesThroat »

yeha, what do you expect anyways these days, all the 'horror movies' coming out basically suck. I think M. Night Shymalan started the trend, though he was not all horror, but I feel he has something to do with it....Wes Craven is also making mistakes as well. Teen horror sucks. They are remaking the Amityville Horror too, which will probably be butchered and inaccurate like Dawn of the Dead.
the one and only, fuckedthroat
King TXL AKA The Juice

Post by King TXL AKA The Juice »

i only saw it cuz everything else was getting sold out
[align=center][img]http://i1.tinypic.com/81taq1c.gif[/img][/align]
steven_millan

Post by steven_millan »

KenSONATA wrote:HORRIBLE.

CRAP.

COMPLETE SHIT.

As a fan of both the original and its American version,I thought that the teaming of Hideo Nakata and Ethen Kruger could do no wrong with this completely-different-from-"Ringu 2" sequel,which turned out to be one of the most God-awful moviers to come out in recent years,for they really messed up the mythology of Samura with this one,for the ending was just an unbuyable rip-off of any "Nightmare On Elm Street" sequel ending that you could name(it seemed like that type of an ending),for didn't they free Samura's spirit after uncovering her body in the well in reality ?!

Anyway,a big monstrous middle finger to this film,for Nakata really did let us down(with this absolute disasterpiece).
RottedZombie

Post by RottedZombie »

This movie was complete trash. No originality, No superb F/X work, Shitty actors, it just plain out blew. Save yourself some time and money and avoid this movie at all costs because if you seen the first one the second one isn't any different.