What happened to Tom Savini

The Horrornews forum has been around for years. This is where the wealth of information shared by our community over the years can be read.
Scott

What happened to Tom Savini

Post by Scott »

It seems like eons ago when Tom Savini was a prominent name in horror with his ghastly make-up FX and memorable cameos (Sex Machine). Yet it seems like over the past ten years that Savini has fallen a long way from grace. Ever since he gave up doing FX, he hasn't been able to cut it either as an actor or director. He hasn't directed anything since the NOTLD remake. Vampirates was supposed to mark his return to the director's chair but he never got the funding. Now he's been relegated to substandard direct-to-video fare like Children of the Dead. Even his role in Land of the Dead was reduced. At this point, it might be better for Tom to hang it up rather than continue to tarnish his legacy. The thought that maybe Savini hsa gotten too full of himself has crossed my mind as well. Any thoughts?
Griff [Mola]

Post by Griff [Mola] »

Here's what I've been reading on the net for the past few months.

Savini put out a short film on DVD around Oct last year, the first episode in a proposed ongoing anthology called CHILL FACTOR. I've read really good reviews but haven't seen it myself. Anyone?

There is, of course, his cameo in LAND.

Um, he's 'starring' in a video game called CITY OF THE DEAD that's currently in development. Apparently they've motion captured him jumping around and whatever. Supposed to be the goriest game ever made or some such nonsense. We'll see.

He's apparently joined the FangoTV team and is slated to direct an upcoming Fango film (wasn't Henenlotter meant to be doing this at some stage?).

He's probably starred in a shitload of direct to video crapfests.

Hopefully some of Romero's recent good luck begins to wear off on him and we get to see what he's capable of, unmarred.
steven_millan

Post by steven_millan »

I talked about this earlier today at the Fango board,for since his chemical dependecy problems and divorce back in the late 80s/early 90s(around the time he made the "Night Of The Living Dead" redux),Savini's life badly fell apart in a very big way,for now that he's unwisely abandoned make-up FX(which he could have perfected himself on in most recent years ala Rick Baker)for acting and B and C grade movie,Savini just isn't the same ole Savini that he all used to know and love,for it's sad to see a talent like his land in the ever-unpopular 'net spot of Famous Genre Icons-Who-Get-Dissed-Nowadays-In-On-Line-Boards(ala Forrest J. Ackerman,Christopher Lee,and rockers Dave Mustaine and Eddie Van Halen)
DylanDog

Post by DylanDog »

Don't forget he was also in the Dawn remake as well as an episode of the Simpsons.
"This must be settled the way nature intended...with a vicious, bloody fight!!"
Onyx Blackman
Principal
Flatpoint High
[url=http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Nekrodave&type=A]DVDS[/url]
[url=http://www.collectiondx.com/gallery/Collections/Nekrodave/]TOYS[/url]
[url=http://www.myspace.com/nekrodave]MySpace[/url]
Griff [Mola]

Post by Griff [Mola] »

I've heard those rumours of a 'chemical dependancy' but then I've heard them debunked by various sources many times. One particular assertion - that half of DAY's effects budget went up his nose - is fucking absurd.

Its a shame ol' Savini didn't make the move to L.A. when Nicotero asked him too - he'd be rich as a bitch and still in the game. But the man had a daughter to raise and an allegiance to Pittsburgh.

As for being full of himself, there's no denying the man's confidence. Though you could argue he's got a lot to be confident about and he's never been afraid to acknowledge his failures.

I will say this however: Tom Savini is an unapologetic womaniser and, according to some of the fan anecdotes I've heard, a bit of a moody bastard.

And who gives a shit about Rick Baker? The guy's probably more of an accountant that an effects artist, nowadays.
Scott

Post by Scott »

[quote="'Griff [Mola"]']I've heard those rumours of a 'chemical dependancy' but then I've heard them debunked by various sources many times. One particular assertion - that half of DAY's effects budget went up his nose - is fucking absurd.

I always wondered if those rumors were true or not. I've also heard that he is quite the womaniser. I'll add that he has three kids too in addition to the daughter who shows up at nearly all the conventions he attends. But I have to say I think he made a MAJOR mistake when he gave up doing FX. Like you mentioned, just look at Nicotero today. I held out hope for awhile that when GAR got the go ahead for Land of the Dead, that he would ask Tom to come aboard and do the FX. Alas, it never happened.

I hate to see someone of his caliber wasting away in grade Z direct-to-video sludge.

Regarding Vampirates. I always heard that the story behind the movie never getting made was that Savini refused to bend regarding the film's content after which Savini more or less told the film's financers to fuck off. They did and Vampirates never made it out of development hell.
steven_millan

Post by steven_millan »

Scott wrote:
'Griff [Mola wrote:']I've heard those rumours of a 'chemical dependancy' but then I've heard them debunked by various sources many times. One particular assertion - that half of DAY's effects budget went up his nose - is fucking absurd.

I always wondered if those rumors were true or not. I've also heard that he is quite the womaniser. I'll add that he has three kids too in addition to the daughter who shows up at nearly all the conventions he attends. But I have to say I think he made a MAJOR mistake when he gave up doing FX. Like you mentioned, just look at Nicotero today. I held out hope for awhile that when GAR got the go ahead for Land of the Dead, that he would ask Tom to come aboard and do the FX. Alas, it never happened.

I hate to see someone of his caliber wasting away in grade Z direct-to-video sludge.

Regarding Vampirates. I always heard that the story behind the movie never getting made was that Savini refused to bend regarding the film's content after which Savini more or less told the film's financers to fuck off. They did and Vampirates never made it out of development hell.

Tom also had another directorial project,that being "Dead Island" or "Zombie Island"(if anybody here remembers that film project's title,please shout it out for me),that had quite a Scream Queen cast attached to it(Linnea Quigley,Tiffany Shepis,[the never unemployed]Debbie Rochon),but never made it through developement hell,for I also don't want to remember Tom as that former FX guru that went into a Z grade direct-to-video career(especially if he sadly can't get his own directorial projects off the ground).

Speaking of Debbie Rochon,isn't it ironic that after she left her editorial post at Femme Fatales magazine(where she acted there as an anti-nudity,uber-uppity feminist),that she suddenly dropped her "no nudity" contract clause(and her Femme Fatale attitude) and suddenly began to appear in over 100 direct-to-video Z grade horror outings ?! Coincidence,or just a career move to get the bills paid ?!
Griff [Mola]

Post by Griff [Mola] »

steven_millan wrote:
Scott wrote: Tom also had another directorial project,that being "Dead Island" or "Zombie Island"(if anybody here remembers that film project's title,please shout it out for me
I'm pretty sure it was DEATH ISLAND.
RottedZombie

Post by RottedZombie »

Maybe Tom just wants to go in a different direction with his work. I am an F/X artist and I know how hard it is working in movies and on movies so I could understand why he'd want to quit F/X but as far as him not being able "Cut" is an actor well give him a break, he's an old man.

Tom is a really nice guy and just because he hasn't directed anything that's made it to theatres recently doesn't mean he's losing anything. Knowing him he's just trying to help other independant directors get they're career off the ground by helping them in their movies.
LIVE FO RETSINIM

Post by LIVE FO RETSINIM »

hey, has anyone seen "Vicious"??? Is it worth the $4 that they are charging at Albertsons to own it??
[b]R.I.P. Chelsie[/b]

[b]JJGC [/b] [SIZE="6"]4[/SIZE] [b]LIFE[/b]

Hard work never killed nobody, but I ain't taking no chances.

[URL=http://www.myspace.com/vulgarizer]
[img]http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm123/jankins13/H-N.jpg[/img][/URL]

[URL=http://www.myspace.com/analjudicator]
[img]http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/72/l_5cca553825c945b796eb9cfb39a0e4dd.jpg[/img][/URL]
Valgamon

Post by Valgamon »

If Giannetto De Rossi, a man who is now well into his 60s, can come roaring back out of nowhere with FX credits on an amazing film like High Tension... anything can happen.

Something to think about. :cool: