Land of the Dead - New Romero flick

The Horrornews forum has been around for years. This is where the wealth of information shared by our community over the years can be read.
darkstar
Forum Newbie

Post by darkstar »

The description on Joblo's has made me more optimistic however the lack of any advertising or promotions still worries me. Oh well if it only plays to a handful of horror nuts like me and flops by hollywood standards then so be it.
Latte Thunder

Post by Latte Thunder »

Well, it's still a month away. When the hype machine starts rolling this early for any movie, I get a little weary and suspect the worst. I strongly doubt that this one is going to need any kind of super hype ad machine this far ahead of time.

Anyway, there is some promotional stuff starting to surface. Shawn here got the rights for the official Land of the Dead shirts. Since you're new, you may or may not be aware that he's the guy behind rottencotton.com. I don't think he's posted them yet on his site, but I saw the image at dreadcentral.com's website.
[url=http://www.cinema-suicide.com]Cinema Suicide[/url]
[url=http://soundtracks.cinema-suicide.com]Soundtrack Apocalisse[/url]
darkstar
Forum Newbie

Post by darkstar »

I am more and more convinced that I will probably have to drive to Olympia or Seattle in order to see this. When I asked my local cineplex manager if they were going to carry LOTD and when all the promotional's were going to start he looked at me with a blank stare and told me he had never heard of it.

Your probably right about the early advertising but I still find the lack of any promotions - even among horrorfans a little disconcerting.

It would be nice if at the very least fans could get Universal to do with LOTD what they did with the remake - play the first 10 minutes on USA or SCIFI.

ps
I'm fully aware who Shawn is I own more than a few of his excellent products.
darkstar
Forum Newbie

Post by darkstar »

Here are some pics from LOTD that you may or may not have seen already

Griff [Mola]

Post by Griff [Mola] »

http://www2.gol.com/users/noman/
Land of the Dead
Non-Ruining / Non-Spoiler / Non-Revealing Film Appraisal

It's great to feel vindicated.

What am I talking about? The feeling I got after a recent viewing of a rough edit of LAND OF THE DEAD—George Romero's better-late-than-never entry in his ground-breaking zombie series.

I know that commenting on an uncompleted film is not altogether cool, and if I'd thought that LAND was not up to snuff I wouldn't even bother. HOWEVER, rough cut or not, missing footage and absent insert graphics not withstanding, I was overwhelmed so much by what I saw that I feel the need to come out and proclaim LAND OF THE DEAD as being one of the best genre movies I have ever seen. It is that good. Dare I say,it is that GREAT! In more ways than one, LAND is everything (and more) than what I expected.

So, why is it that I feel vindicated? Simple enough: When stacked against last year's DAWN remake, a film I have stated often enough as being just plain crap, LAND shines through as an example of solid, imaginative filmmaking. It truly is. LAND is inventive; LAND is smart; LAND has tension; LAND is bathed in atmosphere, LAND is populated by gripping characters; LAND possesses a tale that emerges from out of these characters and their situations; in a word: LAND has soul. What's more, LAND has feeding scenes galore! Ones unlike anything seen before.

Unlike the DAWN remake, LAND was obviously not made with an eye toward outguessing and appeasing studio pencil pushers and the content they believe sell tickets. It also doesn't pander to moral watch groups who point their holier-than-thou fingers at everything but their own cultish religions that in my opinion are the TRUE sources of unrest in the world. Instead, LAND says and does what it wants and lets the chips fall where they will. It also strikes me as having been made from a filmmaker's credo, with priority set at what will make for a fulfilling movie going experience. Once again, George Romero proves to be my filmmaker hero.

In some ways, too, LAND goes beyond even all this.

I'm talking about the zombies. They are unlike anything we have seen to date. They have developed into a new order. They have advanced (and if you consider "running" an advancement, I suggest you just go back to your sensory nullifying video games NOW). While I will never root for the zombies, I couldn't help but wonder if the ones here aren't in some way more "human" than the humans in control in LOTD.

Again, I don't want to reveal anything. Just let me say that the parallel to the US and its questionable "war on terrorism" is in full play and on display for those who want to see it. (And for those who don't, like all Romero "message movies", it is easy enough to ignore with plenty more things going on for you to sink your teeth into.)

And as misguided as the DAWN remake was to have almost no gore, LAND goes out of its way to deliver the goods (though how it will be edited down remains to be seen, and even if it is and gets reinserted later, we will get real additions, unlike the false promise of the "unrated" DAWN remake DVD—what a joke that was!). And not only THAT, the majority of the zombie victims are just the members of society who need a bit of zombie induced, flesh removal humility to teach them that in the scheme of things we are all equal.

Don't get me wrong, LAND is not a perfect film. Notably, there is one performance by a "legendary" actor that I found extremely lacking and somewhat on the phoned in end of the spectrum. But I'm not looking for or expecting a perfect film (as I wasn't with the DAWN remake). Despite it not being a perfect movie (and what film is?), it makes up for its flaws by being a movie that has been made with heart and by a filmmaker who understands and adheres to the CRAFT of filmmaking. Even in the shabby state I saw the film this came through. Because of this, I was mesmerized from start to finish. Not only that, LAND has stayed with me. It's with me now. When people ask what is wrong with cinema today, this is my reply: Films are no longer made in a way that they stay with you. They evaporate the moment you walk from the theater, this being good for business as you are soon ready for another quick cinematic fix. Not so with LAND.

So, how does LAND fit in with the series as a whole? In this writer's opinion, while NOTLD is a groundbreaker, I don't find it the be-all end-all as I do with DAWN. And though I like DAY, I can admit that it has many shortcomings. For me, LAND fits in between the peerless DAWN and the classic NIGHT. It is that good.

Furthermore, although twenty-years since the last entry, it miraculously feels part of the series in the way the new Star Wars movies can only dream.

Personally, I dislike films that try to be trendy, drawing inspiration from other current films. LAND is a breath of fresh air in that it feels both retro and modern. It tells its story without trying to persuade viewers that it's hip and for you to be hip too then you'd better get with the program and dig it (as with films such as Tales of Riddick and Bad Boys II). There are no "cutting edge" crane maneuvers or post production shenanigans like in unwatchable films of the S.W.A.T. variety. It is just solid, unobtrusive filmmaking from start to finish. Yet, even so, it is unmistakably Romero through and through.

That George was able to make a film of such high quality on a pathetic budget that I believe to be insulting for a director of his caliber is a testament to his talent. What he has done with fifteen million is proof enough that those obscene budgets many productions get these days are just that: obscene. I've read where people hope this film's success will bring George a budget of 50 million for his next film. Honestly, I hope it doesn't. While a bit more could have seen to it that the movie was shot in Pittsburgh, I for one don't want a hundred million dollar zombie film. That's not what they are about. Zombie films—and I'm talking about Romero helmed zombie films—are personal reflections of the world we live in made by a man who has fashioned a unique and fitting metaphor for the life into which we have all been thrust. LAND is this.

With all that said, I'm simply happy to report that LAND OF THE DEAD is a welcome and wholly satisfying entry in George Romero's zombie series. Now just go and see it!
darkstar
Forum Newbie

Post by darkstar »

Between the review and the pics I'm feeling more optimistic than I did a week ago. Thanks for posting that - a few of us out there needed it.
Griff [Mola]

Post by Griff [Mola] »

LAND shines through as an example of solid, imaginative filmmaking. It truly is. LAND is inventive; LAND is smart; LAND has tension; LAND is bathed in atmosphere, LAND is populated by gripping characters; LAND possesses a tale that emerges from out of these characters and their situations; in a word: LAND has soul. What's more, LAND has feeding scenes galore! Ones unlike anything seen before.
That sums up my beef with the DAWN remake perfectly. It is lacking all of these things. Thanks for putting it into words, Norm.
darkstar
Forum Newbie

Post by darkstar »

Here is a few more pics
shawn

Post by shawn »

Go here and prepare to cum in your pants:
http://www.lotdunseen.com
(its starts off like the old trailer, but stick with it...)
PECKER{*x*}WOOD

Post by PECKER{*x*}WOOD »

Very nice, but a few scenes make the zombies look like they are made of rubber. Still, it really doesn't matter, this film will so rock.
shawn

Post by shawn »

PECKER{*x*}WOOD wrote:Very nice, but a few scenes make the zombies look like they are made of rubber. Still, it really doesn't matter, this film will so rock.
:machine:
MattV

Post by MattV »

awww man, looks fucking killer! that part where the zombie was digging into that dudes throat was awesoem!!!
[img]http://a695.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/16/l_43ca52bb574b898e47c1fc2a070dbc56.gif[/img]
[img]http://a666.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/11/l_908015b4c7658b7a503715d1757d15d1.jpg[/img]
Latte Thunder

Post by Latte Thunder »

Two more weeks, y'all. I can preactically taste the blood.
DylanDog

Post by DylanDog »

Just got home and noticed that "Dream of the Dead" is on IFC at 10:30pm tonight. Guess it's got clips and interviews with Romero. I'm sure it'll replay if you don't see this post in time.
"This must be settled the way nature intended...with a vicious, bloody fight!!"
Onyx Blackman
Principal
Flatpoint High
[url=http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Nekrodave&type=A]DVDS[/url]
[url=http://www.collectiondx.com/gallery/Collections/Nekrodave/]TOYS[/url]
[url=http://www.myspace.com/nekrodave]MySpace[/url]
Latte Thunder

Post by Latte Thunder »

I would never have spotted that, dude. Good eye.
Clark Chaos

Post by Clark Chaos »

I cant wait!!!

\m/

They need this one at the IMAX on a 60 foot screen!!!!
Hey, I am a dick?...
So sue me!

Kimberly 2006-If only your mother had swallowed...best flame of Feb.!

[url]http://www.thebraindead.com/[/url]
Chris Slack

Post by Chris Slack »

Clark Chaos wrote:I cant wait!!!

\m/

They need this one at the IMAX on a 60 foot screen!!!!

Want to see it with me on Friday night? Maybe twice? Maybe again Saturday? I can't remember the last zombie flick that had a theatrical run that I saw less than three time. House of the dead doesn't count though... no theatrical screening for me on that.
"Regrettable... I was hoping for a colleague, but at least we have
another experimental subject..." -Mesa of Lost Women
darkstar
Forum Newbie

Post by darkstar »

Chris Slack wrote: House of the dead doesn't count though... no theatrical screening for me on that.
Boy I only wish I had seen HOTD on the big screen.I was dumb enough to end up paying $17.50 for the dvd cause one of my friends told me it was as good as Dawn of the Dead
Jakeuglyface

Today is the day!

Post by Jakeuglyface »

Today is the day! For me anyways. I am catching a midnight showing in Bellevue tonight. Anyone going at midnight tonight?
Latte Thunder

Post by Latte Thunder »

My crew and I were desperately trying to find a midnight show around here, but only one shitty theater has the movie booked. The other local options have filled their screens with fucking Bewitched and Herbie.

I'm pissed.
Chris Slack

Post by Chris Slack »

Jakeuglyface wrote:Today is the day! For me anyways. I am catching a midnight showing in Bellevue tonight. Anyone going at midnight tonight?

I was considering going to one in Lynnwood but with the extremely tedious task I have to continue tomorrow at work I'm going to wait until tomorrow evening. Can't be nodding off on the job now :) See you at the salt mines tomorrow!!!
Jakeuglyface

Land of the dead post thoughts....

Post by Jakeuglyface »

Well I just got back from LOTD and I have to say two things:

1. The movie is total crap.

2. I am totally fucking lying.

The movie was damn near perfect. Not 100% perfect but I would say it was at about 99.96% perfect. The only bad thing I can say is, well I just can't really say anything and I don't want people noticing anything that might make the movie even slightly unenjoyable.

I think the only way I can console myself while I wait for the uncut DVD is by seeing the "R" rated version multiple times.

Also a side note: when I went there were a number of people in weird military costumes that were obviously not military people, weird huh? It would be hilarious if zombie movies turned in to a costume event thing like Star Wars. I like the idea of zombie conventions...
Chris Slack

Post by Chris Slack »

I changed my mind and ended up going to a midnight screening last night in Lynnwood and am paying for it by being very tired at work today. Jake looks pretty sleepy as well! Pretty damn good flick, much more gore than I was expecting too. My only real complaint is that there was so much going on at times I feel like I may have missed some things. I'll just have to go see it again this weekend to make sure I soaked it all up :).
Darth Tanner

Post by Darth Tanner »

Saw the documentary about this on IFC the other night and although brief, I found it very interesting. I'm not sure if the movie will be as good as the earlier films but I'll check it out eventually sometime this weekend. It's cool that Tom Savini gets to reprise his biker role from DAWN. Can't wait to see it.

As for HOUSE OF THE DEAD is was unfortunate enough to see that on opening night and indeed it was a total dog. A few unintentional laughs and Ed Wood-style ineptness to make it worthwhile, but I wish I had gone to see KILL BILL VOL. 1 (which opened the same night) instead and saved HOTD for matinee or video.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the heavens. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and so... I am a God." - Malcolm McDowell, CALIGULA
------------------

[url=http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=ctanner5]My DVD collection[/url]
steven_millan

Post by steven_millan »

I saw both "Kill Bill:Volume 1" and "House Of The Dead" both on the same day,for after laying witness to tha atrocious Uwe Boll celluloid abolmination,I immediately snuck back into seeing "Kill Bill' for a second time,sicne the now infamous "House Of Blue Leaves" massacre sequence is a scene that definitely needs to be seen twice in one whole day.