The Devil's Rejects

The Horrornews forum has been around for years. This is where the wealth of information shared by our community over the years can be read.
gothbat

The Devil's Rejects

Post by gothbat »

I just got back from seeing this movie, I wanted to see it because I thought the trailer looked good but I had low expectations for it since it was a sequel (for some reason I thought it was a prequel before I actually saw it) to House Of 1000 Corpses which, although most likely because of all the hype from it taking so long to get released, I really didn’t think was that good at all. I can honestly say the only thing I didn't like about this movie was the fucking retard sitting in front of me repeating some of the lines. I now plan to re-watch HOTC, I think I will like it better than I did the first time, and maybe see this movie again before it leaves the theatres. I'm probably just deprived or something but personally I don't think I've ever seen a movie of this caliber in a movie theatre before.
/\../\

"Come on, let's pay our fuckin' respects!" - Suicide (Return of the Living Dead)
Kimberly

Post by Kimberly »

I actually liked House of 1000 Corpses...

I found The Devil's Rejects to be a bit draggy in parts... other then that it was kick ass!!!
[img]http://i38.tinypic.com/juz953.jpeg[/img]
DrownJay

I am the Devil and I do the Devils Work....

Post by DrownJay »

This movie is sooooo fucking good! It's so raw, gritty and offensive that after one scene last night, I saw several "couples" get up and LEAVE. I would say roughly 8-10 people got up and left after a scene in the movie. It was great!

Instant classic! Bloody as fuck!!
Chris Slack

Post by Chris Slack »

Maybe I'm jaded but I didn't think this was as brutal as people are making it out to be, however it is pretty harsh for an "R" rated movie. With that said, I really enjoyed the movie which surprised me because I didn't like the first one. As Kimberley said there were some draggy parts but they were few and far between. The soundtrack worked really well, great stuff.
"Regrettable... I was hoping for a colleague, but at least we have
another experimental subject..." -Mesa of Lost Women
dr coathanger

Post by dr coathanger »

Just saw it. Pretty disappointed, just like the first time around. He's clearly talented but I need a little more than "Ooooohhh...look...Michael Berryman and Ken Foree...IN THE SAME SCENE!".
Remo D

Post by Remo D »

Wow. Despite all the buildup, this one still struck me as a HUGE surprise.

HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES was only a warm-up. Rob Zombie was having fun, referencing his favorite horror movies and making sure the gore and nastiness were ramped up the way he felt everyone else was afraid to. The inspiration alone wasn't enough to carry the whole thing, and the music-video flourishes were a distraction rather than an enhancement, but it was still (in my eyes) an honorable effort--and the performance of Sid Haig was priceless (it's still one of my very favorite pieces of horror-film acting).

One thing I liked about the original is that it never came right out and said whether or not Captain Spaulding was actually involved with the murderous goings-on. Hey--people had to drag the information out of him to get in trouble in the first place, and that last scene COULD have been a dream, right?

Well, you can't reuse the Spaulding character without making a commitment one way or the other--and do they ever. And while the character is recognizable from the first film, this is no mere retread.

Of course we recognize the references to LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT and TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE (hell, the first three of them, even). But we've seen that phenomenon before--when it comes to action films, there are generic ripoffs, and then there's KILL BILL. And Rob Zombie has grown hugely as a filmmaker between these two efforts--and while I might stop short of calling THE DEVIL'S REJECTS the KILL BILL of horror, I wouldn't laugh at anyone else who suggested it either.

This has got character, story, acting and filmmaking technique to elevate it beyond rehash status. It picks up on what the 70s films hinted at and takes it much further, as I see it. For example: both LAST HOUSE and THE HILLS HAVE EYES ended abruptly with the "good guys" being dehumanized by their vengeance against the "bad guys." THE DEVIL'S REJECTS explores this concept (I'll avoid spoilers) to an even more logical conclusion--and the test of audience loyalty is right up there (again, I'm talking about the TEST, not necessarily the entire film, before you jump down my throat about this) with such "Whose side are you ON?" dilemmas as offered by PSYCHO and A CLOCKWORK ORANGE.

The scenes of graphic horror and torture are necessary to the film's effect, as unpleasant as they might be. And as a counterpoint, the "comic relief" moments are equally telling. Nobody's likely to have forgotten the brazenly inappropriate "chicken truck" scene from LAST HOUSE, right? Well, there's a "chicken" moment here, too (Ken Foree's best scene, if you ask me). And being a Marx Brothers nut myself, I was floored when the self-appointed expert showed up and tried to wow the law enforcement officers with loads of trivia that they never asked for. Super punchline there, as well.

And finally, there's the ending. Again, no spoilers. The ending of HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES, dream or not, was a huge letdown for me. Just your typical the-end-or-is-it sequel hook that not even LAST HOUSE or TCM ever actually stooped to. I had no reason to believe that we'd get anything different here.

We get it. THE DEVIL'S REJECTS ends on a knockout punch.

This is a top contender for 2005 for me--no lie.

It's flopping, of course (but so's THE ISLAND, ha ha). So hurry.
My dog's breath smells like peanut butter...

...and I don't even have a dog!
Clark Chaos

Post by Clark Chaos »

Chris Slack wrote:Maybe I'm jaded but I didn't think this was as brutal as people are making it out to be, however it is pretty harsh for an "R" rated movie. With that said, I really enjoyed the movie which surprised me because I didn't like the first one. As Kimberley said there were some draggy parts but they were few and far between. The soundtrack worked really well, great stuff.

Even Rob Zombie on Howard Stern said that he had no idea how they got an R rating but after seeing the Bad News Bears the other day which had a PG 13 rating, I am not surprised. :)

BNB's is pretty much nothing but fuck, shit and god damns.....so much swearing it but I still laughed my ass off but my 6 year old just turned too me and said....Dad?, did they just stick as many curse words into the movie too make it funny. I told her looks that way. She said, well....I find it boring. :)

Not Blazing Saddles and it is far from the old one but they must be getting more slack on the censor bureau. :)

ahahahaaaaaaaaaa

I cant wait too see this flick.
Hey, I am a dick?...
So sue me!

Kimberly 2006-If only your mother had swallowed...best flame of Feb.!

[url]http://www.thebraindead.com/[/url]
ZXRO

Ugh...

Post by ZXRO »

I really wanted to like this movie, but I really didn't. I thought it was real thin, plot-wise. I also can't stand poorly done CG gore effects. When I see someone get shot in the neck, and the wound doesn't move right when the body moves, it ends up looking the the gore is just kinda floating above the body. It's annoying and sad. The stabbing scene looks extra fake too. Add that to the fact that the characters all seemed a little less crazy in this one, especially Baby.

Oh well.
[color=DarkRed][i]"Oh James, I am getting away with murder and you're just jealous" -Michael Alig[/i][/color]

[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/ZxRO+MBM][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/recessed/plate/ZxRO+MBM.png[/img][/url]
My Big 10 INCH
Forum Newbie

Post by My Big 10 INCH »

Remo, Rejects budget was only 7 million. It made that back opening weekend. The next few weeks in the US, Overseas sales, cable, and the upcoming uncut DVD release are all profit. Not sure I'd call that a flop.
Remo D

Post by Remo D »

My Big 10 INCH wrote:Remo, Rejects budget was only 7 million. It made that back opening weekend. The next few weeks in the US, Overseas sales, cable, and the upcoming uncut DVD release are all profit. Not sure I'd call that a flop.
Glad to hear it, and honestly, I figured as much. But considering its placement in the Top Ten (lower than even LAND OF THE DEAD), I simply don't expect it to last on the big screen very long--hence my advice to "hurry."

steven_millan

Post by steven_millan »

It's so ironic upon how this film that was made as a homage to 70s horror has ended up with a theatrical release(and box office result)that's literally similar to those 70s horror outings(except with a better,more wider,and lengthier theatrical release).
Clark Chaos

Post by Clark Chaos »

Great flick, the only weak spot in my opinion was Zombie's old lady. She just didnt really hit the mark in this one.

But over all, this is a classic. :)
Hey, I am a dick?...
So sue me!

Kimberly 2006-If only your mother had swallowed...best flame of Feb.!

[url]http://www.thebraindead.com/[/url]
Latte Thunder

Post by Latte Thunder »

Clark Chaos wrote:Great flick, the only weak spot in my opinion was Zombie's old lady. She just didnt really hit the mark in this one.

But over all, this is a classic. :)
I thought she sucked in House of... Easily one of the most obnoxious characters ever caught on film.

I know she's your wife, Rob, but let's try and use some discretion from now on.
[url=http://www.cinema-suicide.com]Cinema Suicide[/url]
[url=http://soundtracks.cinema-suicide.com]Soundtrack Apocalisse[/url]
Angelica

Post by Angelica »

so, were people leaving because of torturous gore or because of the fantasy sex scene? Just wondering... I havent seen it, just read reviews...
[color="Indigo"][b]NEFARIOUS PRODUCTIONS[/b][/color]

[size=75][color="DarkSlateBlue"]"The lions are out of their cages, and you may well find that they'll eat the mouthy Christians first." - S.K.[/color][/size]

[font="Century Gothic"][b][color="Purple"]Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. - Voltaire[/color][/b][/font]
countsonata

Post by countsonata »

i liked it alot i walked out of the theater wanting to shoot somthing and all those happy thoughts the blood idi look funny tho it was alittle fucked up but i dident let it bother me
vox for sonata

I'm badder than the baddest sailor!
Sailor!
I make love to women to 10 feet tall.
Good lord!
I've got a chest of wonder and balls of thunder.
I can break right through a wall.
www.sonataband.com/songs/studiomontage.wmv
shawn

Post by shawn »

Try not to laugh too much here, I do think there is something here... Anyone notice all the Christ symbolism going on in the film? More specifically Otis as a Christ figure? I need to see it again and look more carefully, but there is quite a bit of it in there. It didn't really dawn on me until just now. I was raised Catholic so its hard not to see this kind of shit... Some examples I noticed...

-Otis looks like christ
-Otis is nailed to the chair through his hands, but Spaulding and Baby are only tied to the chair at his left and right side. Much like the thieves next to Jesus in the Crucifixion story.
-Ken Foree's character Charlie betrays the firefly's much like Judas betrayed jesus.
-I kind of saw the scene with Otis, Baby, and Spaulding partying with Charlie one last night as sort of a Last Supper.
-The final FreeBird scene Otis Martyrs himself. Dying for Freedom?
-Lots of shots of Otis' palms bleeding... Bloodied forehead...
-One shot has Otis sitting in the chair with his head hanging in sort of a "Christ pose" Otis eyes are a super blue color...
-Of course the Last Supper Poster has Otis as Jesus.
-And there are plenty of other shots in the film that portray Otis in this way. In some scenes Otis is shot and lit differently. But like I said I need to see it again and pay more attention to it to fully grasp what Rob was trying to say if anything...

I just think its funny. The film will already piss off these lunatic right wing christian fucks, but once they get a load of this they'll really be pissed.
Remo D

Post by Remo D »

The imagery is undoubtedly there--and yes, I'm sure it's there to set the right-wingers off (as if Otis's ACTIONS in the film were in the least Christ-like).

Of course, the movie does try to tempt the audience to side with him...

And Charles Manson got a lot of mileage out of claiming that HE was Christ...

Well, take it from there!

jga5000

Post by jga5000 »

http://www.haywired.com/goldchrist/

here's the most pissed I've seen a christian right-winger about the movie, I'm glad to be on this fool's hatemail seciton too :metalhead
Remo D

Post by Remo D »

I'm a Christian and I'm not ashamed to admit I'm a Christian.

But this guy? He's what gives us all a bad name.

We're not all like that--trust me.

jga5000

Post by jga5000 »

Yeah I respect people of all religions, this guy is being a total jackass, not cause of his religion in itself, but because of the jackassness within him.
Angelica

Post by Angelica »

"I hate to say it, but each day a child is sadly pleasuring himself instead of reading a bible"

AHAHHAHHAHAHA

This guy is scary.. he is to Christians what the terrorists are to Muslims.

How can he do so much reading and not know how to spell??
[color="Indigo"][b]NEFARIOUS PRODUCTIONS[/b][/color]

[size=75][color="DarkSlateBlue"]"The lions are out of their cages, and you may well find that they'll eat the mouthy Christians first." - S.K.[/color][/size]

[font="Century Gothic"][b][color="Purple"]Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. - Voltaire[/color][/b][/font]
Latte Thunder

Post by Latte Thunder »

Angelica wrote:"I hate to say it, but each day a child is sadly pleasuring himself instead of reading a bible"

AHAHHAHHAHAHA

This guy is scary.. he is to Christians what the terrorists are to Muslims.

How can he do so much reading and not know how to spell??
I detect irony on that website. He touches on every hot button issue that extreme right wing christians are all up in arms about and then tops it off with ridiculous claims about masturbation.

Something tells me that it's a site in the vein of Landover Baptist.
[url=http://www.cinema-suicide.com]Cinema Suicide[/url]
[url=http://soundtracks.cinema-suicide.com]Soundtrack Apocalisse[/url]
jga5000

Post by jga5000 »

I hope the site is a joke, because that's one huge bitch http://www.haywired.com/goldchrist/about.html
Remo D

Post by Remo D »

jga5000 wrote:I hope the site is a joke, because that's one huge bitch http://www.haywired.com/goldchrist/about.html
Yeah, I think they "got" us again. Anyone remember "Net Authority?"

But this time I can't even find the fine print that tips you off to the secret "hoax" page...

Still, even if this is a joke, some so-called "Christians" really are like that, so it's a joke worth telling!

PECKER{*x*}WOOD

Post by PECKER{*x*}WOOD »

The Devils Rejects was kind of an odd film for me, which didn't really work for various reasons. The film lacked an emotional core that neither the Firefly family or Sheriff Wydell provided, because none of these characters was ever fully developed. However the film was good enough to keep me interested. The mixture of genres was almost achieved, if only one simple plot point was put forth. The motivation for the killings the Firefly family commited was never explained, unless of course I missed it. This could've been a good western if only Zombie removed the motel killings section, as it seemed out of place.

Other than that I thought the acting was rather good as a whole. I think we could all say that Sheri Moon can't act. I was also surprized by the rather sad performance by Bill Moseley, as he seemed lazy in the role of Otis. Sid Haig and Ken Foree really shined in their scenes together, but Haig was the real star of this movie. William Forsythe was good as I had expected, and so were the victims. The music was also good, but I would've like to hear more instrumentals instead. The gore and FX was pretty much all bad CGI, except for the few key scenes.

As a whole I thought The Devils Rejects was an average film.

PS> What happened after the credits, I'm pretty sure I missed something?