Extreme horror

The Horrornews forum has been around for years. This is where the wealth of information shared by our community over the years can be read.
gsfnw

Extreme horror

Post by gsfnw »

My curiosity has perked and i am interested in seeing a few movies that could be considered the most extreme horror movies out there. Does anyone have any suggestions?
LIVE FO RETSINIM

Post by LIVE FO RETSINIM »

The Ring 2 scared the pants off of me!!!! PG13 at it's most frightful.
[b]R.I.P. Chelsie[/b]

[b]JJGC [/b] [SIZE="6"]4[/SIZE] [b]LIFE[/b]

Hard work never killed nobody, but I ain't taking no chances.

[URL=http://www.myspace.com/vulgarizer]
[img]http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm123/jankins13/H-N.jpg[/img][/URL]

[URL=http://www.myspace.com/analjudicator]
[img]http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/72/l_5cca553825c945b796eb9cfb39a0e4dd.jpg[/img][/URL]
Angelica

Post by Angelica »

Japanese horror is the most extreme. Well, no, let me rephrase that. Japanese horror is kind of cheesy but Japanese action is pretty brutal. Try Takashi Miike, lots of gore and violence. If you do some snooping you can find fake snuff films too.... those crazy japanese!! :D
[color="Indigo"][b]NEFARIOUS PRODUCTIONS[/b][/color]

[size=75][color="DarkSlateBlue"]"The lions are out of their cages, and you may well find that they'll eat the mouthy Christians first." - S.K.[/color][/size]

[font="Century Gothic"][b][color="Purple"]Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. - Voltaire[/color][/b][/font]
gsfnw

Post by gsfnw »

Angelica wrote:Japanese horror is the most extreme. Well, no, let me rephrase that. Japanese horror is kind of cheesy but Japanese action is pretty brutal. Try Takashi Miike, lots of gore and violence. If you do some snooping you can find fake snuff films too.... those crazy japanese!! :D
Ehhhh, I'll skip the fake snuff for now. I saw an Itallian made film on a $5.99 10 horror movie DVD and it was a bit more brutal than most movies I have seen, so it made me wonder just how far people will go. I also want to see if the movies themselves are worth a damn......

I'll see what I can find by Takshi Miike though. Thanks!
MrFulci

Post by MrFulci »

Angelica, I don't agree with the Asian horror films being the most, "extreme". Though, they are pumping out some different horror. While I haven't seen much of the recent stuff ('95 - present), what I have seen is as much of a mixed bag as other countries.

Miike. I havent seen too many of his films. Audition was alright, though there were some scenes that didn't make much sense (Dog food bowl, etc), the ending isn't exactly what I thought would happen, a surprise.

I saw bits of Ichi. It was so-so. I caught bits and pieces of it when it aired on TV. It didn't interest me much, the movie seemed to follow the same style of humour as Brain Dead/Dead Alive.

It all depends upon what you consider, "extreme".

gsfnw, What was the movie on the 5.99DVD that you liked? Maybe some folks can work with that.
Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your penis out when you're cooking.
gsfnw

Post by gsfnw »

MrFulci wrote:Angelica, I don't agree with the Asian horror films being the most, "extreme". Though, they are pumping out some different horror. While I haven't seen much of the recent stuff ('95 - present), what I have seen is as much of a mixed bag as other countries.

Miike. I havent seen too many of his films. Audition was alright, though there were some scenes that didn't make much sense (Dog food bowl, etc), the ending isn't exactly what I thought would happen, a surprise.

I saw bits of Ichi. It was so-so. I caught bits and pieces of it when it aired on TV. It didn't interest me much, the movie seemed to follow the same style of humour as Brain Dead/Dead Alive.

It all depends upon what you consider, "extreme".

gsfnw, What was the movie on the 5.99DVD that you liked? Maybe some folks can work with that.
It was titled "Unholy Terror" but I don't think that was the original title because the screen that appeared when they showed the title was way different then the other credit screens. Does it ring a bell?
Angelica

Post by Angelica »

Yes, it definitely depends on how you define "extreme". A lot of the films I have seen by Miike and others in his genre are very much more "extreme" than American films in regards to gore, violence, defamation, etc. Scary, no. Excessive, maybe, but I would call it extreme.

I guess that is off topic though, being that Garrett is looking for horror....
[color="Indigo"][b]NEFARIOUS PRODUCTIONS[/b][/color]

[size=75][color="DarkSlateBlue"]"The lions are out of their cages, and you may well find that they'll eat the mouthy Christians first." - S.K.[/color][/size]

[font="Century Gothic"][b][color="Purple"]Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. - Voltaire[/color][/b][/font]
Latte Thunder

Post by Latte Thunder »

Asking for extreme horror is a really broad question and definitely tough to recommend only a few since every country around the world has been producing some high end gore since the 70's.

Recently, the real gruesome shit comes from the low end of the indie scene. A lot of shot on video stuff that is really not all that exciting to watch and you wind up skipping ahead to the kill scenes just to avoid the awful stories and acting. The August Underground movies are really tough to watch but the gore and violence are full tilt. Also, anything bearing the Sub Rosa imprint are guaranteed to make you cringe. Avoid anything by Joe Christ, though. There's a little cult around that guy and there's a lot of hype about his movies but that hype usually stems from himself. His movies are fucking trash. The idea is there, but when you're using lipstick to simulate blood, there's really no hope.

Lucio Fulci is probably the place to start. City of the Living Dead has some real nasty kills in it. Try some German stuff, too. Olaf Ittenbach runs hot and cold in my opinion, but Permutos, for all its flaws, features an actual body count meter at the end (numbering over 150 deaths) and a couple dozen messy kills before the title even appears. Nacho Cerda's Aftermath was recently released by Unearthed and it's some really heavy viewing. Grindhouse's reissue of Cannibal Holocaust came out today and that one is notorious for some downright vicious violence (be warned, real animal slaughter, too). There's really so much available that could be termed extreme.

Asia, true, has some of the nastiest, but there's something about Japanese extreme horror that has always turned me off. While most extreme horror has a comic book fantasy edge to it that you can fall back on and laugh at at times, the stuff out of Japan has always carried with it a certain cruelty that I find very disconcerting. I've spent some time examining their culture and social condition and there's something very dark lurking just beneath the surface, so movies like Entrails of a Virgin and Evil Dead Trap, not to mention the first few Guinea Pig features (also available from Unearthed) seem to carry a genuine angst and frustration that stems from the social condition of the era that they were produced in. There's an even deeper underground in Japan that carries some extremely horrifying titles like Kichiku Dai Enkai, Naked Blood and Captured For Sex 2 (which features a genuinely sick marathon of brutality). The movies are really little more than people doing very bad things to themselves and others and not much in the way of spooks. They really just turn your stomach and tune your overall mood downward. Beware.

Hong Kong's notorious Category 3 movies of the late 80's to the mid-90's are particularly nasty. I love seeing Anthony Wong in movies, but for a long time after seeing Untold Story, I couldn't really even look at the guy after a scene where he crams a handful of chopsticks up a woman's crotch. There's even a scene where slaughters an entire family, children too, that is very hard to watch. For the absolute extremes, Cat3 movies are pretty much guaranteed to make you feel really bad.
[url=http://www.cinema-suicide.com]Cinema Suicide[/url]
[url=http://soundtracks.cinema-suicide.com]Soundtrack Apocalisse[/url]
MrFulci

Post by MrFulci »

Latte, I thought Evil Dead Trap was alright during the first 20-30 minutes, then it went downhill. The idea was pretty good, much could have been done with it. However, it got too complicated and silly for me. Still, some people think the movie is awesome.

Premutos I haven't seen, though from what I've heard, some folks really like it.

gsfnw, the movie you mentioned I haven't seen before. The movie sells by itself for pretty cheap, I may pick it up sometime. What 5.99DVD set was this movie included on?
Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your penis out when you're cooking.
DylanDog

Post by DylanDog »

Speaking of Ittenbach, I recently watched his "Beyond The Limits" which could certainly be called extreme. I think that and Premutos were the only two films of his I've seen and both were legitimate bloodbaths.

Captured For Sex 2 is great, but as the title would imply, it's a sex film. Roughly (and I mean ROUGHLY) 65 minutes of nonstop bondage and torture. Basically a "how to torture girls" kind of movie. There is a literally a brief instructional interlude in the middle where one guy describes all these devices and their uses. I was pretty psyched to score an original poster for this not long ago. Nikkatsu posters ain't easy to come by!

"This must be settled the way nature intended...with a vicious, bloody fight!!"
Onyx Blackman
Principal
Flatpoint High
[url=http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Nekrodave&type=A]DVDS[/url]
[url=http://www.collectiondx.com/gallery/Collections/Nekrodave/]TOYS[/url]
[url=http://www.myspace.com/nekrodave]MySpace[/url]
stypees back

Post by stypees back »

DylanDog wrote:Speaking of Ittenbach, I recently watched his "Beyond The Limits" which could certainly be called extreme. I think that and Premutos were the only two films of his I've seen and both were legitimate bloodbaths.

Captured For Sex 2 is great, but as the title would imply, it's a sex film. Roughly (and I mean ROUGHLY) 65 minutes of nonstop bondage and torture. Basically a "how to torture girls" kind of movie. There is a literally a brief instructional interlude in the middle where one guy describes all these devices and their uses. I was pretty psyched to score an original poster for this not long ago. Nikkatsu posters ain't easy to come by!

Can't say that bondage does anything for me but that box is sort of hot in a sick and twisted way. What exactly are AUGUST UNDERGROUND flicks? I'm not a fan of Japenese Horror, I find them particuarly boring. SUB RUSA has been rather mediocre lately and appear to be releasing just about anything shot with a camecorder and lots of kyro syrup.

Where are the days of films like "AfterMath"?
[color=DarkSlateBlue]ON TOUR, LIMITED CITIES[/color]

[size=134]STYPEE AND JOYCE[/size]

[color=YellowGreen]LIVE AND IN LOVE: AROUND THE GLOBE[/color]

[font=Courier New]A TOUR YEARS IN THE MAKING![/font]

[color=DarkOrange]COMING TO YOUR TOWN SOON! [/color]

[img]http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/6146/joyce8gz.png[/img]
BILE

Post by BILE »

Go to http://www.rotten.com and check out the movie section.Nothing is more brutal than real death recorded on video.
[img]http://www.metalunderground.com/images/bandlogos/Strapping_Young_Lad_logo.jpg[/img][img]http://forumsextreme.com/imgs1/aFu_PenguinWack.gif[/img][img]http://forumsextreme.com/imgs1/aHa_MC-Dance.gif[/img]
Savage

Post by Savage »

We just got one shipped to us that is a documentary from like the 70's (the name escapes me at 5:35am) and it's about a cannibal tribe in Africa.....pretty cool. The cover shows a woman impaled and the pole coming out of her mouth. It's a true/real thing and supposedly the filmmakers were not allowed to release it...did time in jail or something after filming it. I'll post the name unless someone else remembers the name of it.
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance....baffle them with bullshit"
~my husband

Hell Froze Over on 6/4/06
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

Savage, sounds like you've fallen for Cannibal Holocaust's gimmick. If so, it's not real. Deodato was taken to court over the FX, though.

I second everything Latte Thunder said, but would add that SOMETIMES CATIII is lame stuff like The Record while I've seen CATIIB movies which featured prominent stills of real death scenes.
[color=Yellow]11/26/65 - 3/9/05[/color]

[b]i miss nme666 and i approve this message.[/b]
gsfnw

Post by gsfnw »

Well I appreciate you guys giving me some answers. I'll have to check some stuff out.
gsfnw

Post by gsfnw »

MrFulci wrote:Latte, I thought Evil Dead Trap was alright during the first 20-30 minutes, then it went downhill. The idea was pretty good, much could have been done with it. However, it got too complicated and silly for me. Still, some people think the movie is awesome.

Premutos I haven't seen, though from what I've heard, some folks really like it.

gsfnw, the movie you mentioned I haven't seen before. The movie sells by itself for pretty cheap, I may pick it up sometime. What 5.99DVD set was this movie included on?
It was on one of those 5 - 10 disc sets that you can get at Best Buy, it was titled like "horror classics" or something. I can look tonight and get you the concrete details.
MrFulci

Post by MrFulci »

Yeah, let me know the title of the DVD set, I may pick it up. From what I saw, Unholy Terror is about $5-$8 by itself, if 10 movies cost about the same as that one movie....
Kimberly

Post by Kimberly »

Savage... Totally sounds like Cannibal Holocaust

Stypee... August Underground is okay. August Underground Mordum is a steaming pile of shit!! It's nothing but annoying kids screaming... it's a pseudo snuff film, as is the first one... the first one has the annoying screaming and crap, it's just a little more tolerant

Mr. Fulci... I loved the first Evil Dead Trap, although I thought it should of ended about 20min. earlier then it actually did. Thought it should of ended at a certain point and then they pulled another ending out of their ass and it went on for too long. If you haven't seen the sequel you should do so, as it's actually really good... I liked it better then the first one

Latte... Some great recommendations there. I'll throw in (even though I hated it) Murder-Set-Pieces... it looks great, it sounds great... there's some good gore in it too... but it's a polished turd. The acting is terrible, the story is crap and most of the scenes (like in the August Underground films) were too long and meh... nothing spectacular

In regards to Miike films... be careful as he can make some pretty crappy films.
[img]http://i38.tinypic.com/juz953.jpeg[/img]
llapman

Post by llapman »

Here's my quick list.

In A Glass Cage
Nekromantik 1 & 2
Cannibal Holocaust
Audition
Last House On The Left (old school, but still shocking)
Death Weekend (more 70's from Ivan Reitman)
Cannibal Ferox
House By The Edge Of The Park (Ruggero Deodato)

I'm going off memory, so hopefully I got the details right.
[font=Century Gothic]Brian Llapitan[/font] :dsmoke:
MrFulci

Post by MrFulci »

Kimberly, I feel almsot the same way about Evil Dead Trap, however I felt after 20 minutes had passed, the best stuff was over. I especially tired of the movie when the girl goes back to her car, then decides to explore more. It was funny, and made me laugh, other than that, it didn't help much.

llapman has a good list.

"Extreme" is a broad subject, . I looked up unholy terror, seems to be more like a hammer film.

gsfnw, based upon you liking Unholy Terror, I suggest:
Straight on 'til Morning
And soon the Darkness

Those 2 aren't exactly gory, though they may be a bit simialr to Unholy Terror and are somewhat "off" in their own special way.
Latte Thunder

Post by Latte Thunder »

DylanDog wrote:Image
Jesus, Dave, where do you find these things? There are several posters for overseas stuff that I'd love to have (I especially love the designs for Kaiju and Sentai movies) but I can never find them.
[url=http://www.cinema-suicide.com]Cinema Suicide[/url]
[url=http://soundtracks.cinema-suicide.com]Soundtrack Apocalisse[/url]
gsfnw

Post by gsfnw »

MrFulci wrote:Kimberly, I feel almsot the same way about Evil Dead Trap, however I felt after 20 minutes had passed, the best stuff was over. I especially tired of the movie when the girl goes back to her car, then decides to explore more. It was funny, and made me laugh, other than that, it didn't help much.

llapman has a good list.

"Extreme" is a broad subject, . I looked up unholy terror, seems to be more like a hammer film.

gsfnw, based upon you liking Unholy Terror, I suggest:
Straight on 'til Morning
And soon the Darkness

Those 2 aren't exactly gory, though they may be a bit simialr to Unholy Terror and are somewhat "off" in their own special way.
Right on! I'll have to check those out.
DylanDog

Post by DylanDog »

Latte Thunder wrote:Jesus, Dave, where do you find these things?

The funny thing is, I used to have a search saved for "Nikkatsu" on Yahoo!Japan auctions, but never found anything at all. So I was shocked when I found it on eBay. I also got the poster for part 1 which I think I like even better, but I haven't seen the movie. Also had a chance at a large size, 2 sided Beautiful Girl Hunter poster, but passed on it.
Onyx Blackman
Principal
Flatpoint High
llapman

Post by llapman »

A few more additions that I forgot:

Guts of a Virgin

Centipede Horror (not too extreme, except for the scene of a chick barfing up these nasty looking live centipedes. From Hong Kong)

Man Behind The Sun (and sequels)

Entrails of a Beautiful Woman

Salo: 120 Days In Sodom

All Night Long Series

Guinea Pig Series

I think this should give you a few to keep you going for awhile.

Happy Nightmares!
[font=Century Gothic]Brian Llapitan[/font] :dsmoke:
DylanDog

Post by DylanDog »

Also, not horror at all, but if it's extreme you want, you gotta see The Sweet Movie. Probably the weirdest, nuttiest movie out there.
Onyx Blackman
Principal
Flatpoint High