PHILIP ANSELMO: 'I Would Have Taken A Bullet' For DIMEBAG - Nov. 29, 2005

Forum for Seattle Bands, Musicians and Fans. This forum is genre agnostic so all music types are welcome.

Moderators: Chris Slack, Adremelech, Seattle Metal Online, AchimbaProphet, Desert Mermaid

Project Undead Vish

PHILIP ANSELMO: 'I Would Have Taken A Bullet' For DIMEBAG - Nov. 29, 2005

Post by Project Undead Vish »

i figured that i would post this since nobody had yet. i think that he is being sincere, but i always have thought that he was being sincere about dime's death. im sure that this will get flamed like phil normally does though.

Former PANTERA frontman Philip Anselmo has spoken exclusively to Revolver magazine (web site) about the death of "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott, Anselmo's much-rumored substance-abuse problems and the role the heavy metal media has played in PANTERA's eventual demise, among many other topics. Several excerpts from the article (published in the magazine's February 2006 issue, due to hit newsstands on December 6) follow:

Revolver: Tell me about the past year.

Anselmo: "Man, this has been the worst year of my life — it's been the worst year of many people's lives. Ever since… Ever since my guitar player was taken from me, basically."

Revolver: How much do you miss Dime?

Anselmo: "I miss him more than I can even begin to say. I think of him every single waking day — every 30 minutes, if not every five minutes.

"And… [he pauses] Trying not to get choked up here. I'm trying to compose myself. I speak with Rex [Brown, PANTERA's bass player] often. We both are dealing with it… I'm in therapy. I never had to see a psychiatrist before. I see one regularly now. They tried to put me on antidepressants, but I won't take them because I don't trust drugs at all anymore. I don't trust a fucking pill, not unless it's a vitamin.

"I feel so goddamn bad for Vince [Paul, PANTERA's drummer and Darrell's brother], because during the writing of our last record, [his and Darrell's] mother passed away… I miss Vince. I miss his sense of humor. And Dime — there was no more creative, beautiful, perfect motherfucker ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever. He could make something out of nothing — if we were in Bumfuck, Anywhere, he could find some kind of something to do that would end up being fun, you know? And not to mention his music, our music. Dimebag, Vinnie, Rex — they were the greatest, and still are the greatest, musicians I've ever played with. I will always love everybody in that band, man. We had so much chemistry together. I miss it so goddamn much. You know, it took me quite awhile, but after about six months, I watched some old videos, I listened to our records, and I was just stunned, amazed, gasping for air, because I knew that I was part of something that changed heavy metal forever. And it took all four of us.

"To lose someone like Dime, and to have his brother in such pain, it kills me. I'd give one of my fingers to fix everything somehow, go back in time, or to have been there. This is a harsh thing to say, but if I saw some stupid son of a bitch coming at my guitar player with a gun, I would have knocked his block off, you know? I would have taken a bullet for that motherfucker."

Revolver: Have you tried to contact Vince?

Anselmo: "Yes, right afterwards, and I don't blame him for his isolation. I mean, it's a stunning, stunning thing. It's nothing you can just put out of your mind, it's nothing you can drink away, it's nothing you can go to a psychiatrist for a couple of months and he can put everything into perspective. I fear the worst for him, because I love him so much, you know? All I have in my heart is love, and when I say this, there's no way I can leave the fans out.

"We, PANTERA, had the greatest, the most intense, dedicated fans I've ever seen in my goddamn life. And I really hope with all my heart that one day, people — especially our fans and my friends — can see clearly enough to think for themselves and really realize that I have nothing but love for them. I've just been going through personal hell since December. Once again, it's very hard to talk about, man. You know, my heart is in a thousand pieces a day.

"But there is something very, very, very important that I've been wanting to say for a long time… and the only reason I couldn't say it before was because I always wanted that air of 'a new level of confidence and power' — you know, that 'vulgar display of power.' When I was in my middle twenties, I could walk through walls. There wasn't a man big enough to kick my fucking ass. I'd rock with anyone, and I don't remember losing a fight.

"And then I tried a drug called heroin, because deep inside of myself I thought — I knew — there was no way that any drug could conquer me. No way. But the second time I did it in my entire life, it killed me.

"Then I rebounded from that, played a show the very next night, knew that there's no way I'm messing with that garbage anymore. But I could tell something was screwed up with my back, something was not right. Pain, severe pain. So in between tours, I had an MRI, my first of six. Sure enough, the lowest lumbar disc in my back was ruptured — shattered from being onstage since I was 14 years old, jumping off the stage, off Vinnie's drum set, going as crazy as possible.

"So I asked my doctor, 'What can I do about this?' And he says, 'Well, you're going to have to wear a back brace,' which I've been wearing for 10 years now. [Anselmo pulls up his shirt to reveal a large back brace around his midsection.]

Revolver: Damn.

Anselmo: "Nobody's known that. Anybody who ever thought I had a beer gut or I was fat, I was holding my bones together. Then, after two, three more tours — another MRI. I got another damaged disc, and no cartilage between the bottom one and the next one, which meant bone-on-bone scraping and nerve damage, and so the painkillers got stronger, stronger, stronger just to get up on that goddamn stage and do what I do, man. I mean, I was born to do this and I've known it since I was 6 years old.

"Back in the Nineties, I went to see so many goddamn surgeons, and they all wanted to slice me open from the belly, take pieces of my hipbone out, take all my guts out, lay them on a table, and then fuse the discs from the front, use pieces of my hip to fill gaps in the bone and cartilage, then put all my guts back in, sew me up. I asked the doctor, 'Well, what's the recovery time for something like that?' And he's like, 'Oh, 10 months to a year, maybe a year and a half.' I'm like, 'No way. I gotta work, bro. We're going to Europe. We're doing Ozzfest. I cannot take a year off.' And then, on top of that, I had doctors ask me if I had been fitted for a wheelchair. That's how bad it was. And I never have let that out of the bag before. I said, 'A wheelchair?! I still jump off the damn drum riser, man.' And they're like, 'You're just going to screw yourself up.'

"And so eventually, I got put on the heaviest painkiller known to mankind — it's called methadone. Most people relate methadone to heroin, but I saved every bottle, every document — everything was for my back. And you know, it still hurt to be up there on stage, and when I woke up in the morning, it felt like an ice pick was shoved in my lower back, and the colder it got, the worse it got. And when you'd go to Europe in the middle of winter, it's like, man, I cannot do this without medicine.

"So I think people, especially journalists, took it upon themselves — and I really can't blame them, because I've never spilled these particular beans before. But I was slurring my words, I didn't have that glow anymore. It was killing my soul. You know, drugs, dope, everything you ever hear about them, it's true, man.

"So now, here we are in 2005 — medical science and neurology have come a very extreme distance. I have found an incredible doctor. He has put me through rigorous tests. They've given me my sixth MRI and nuclear testing where they make all your bones glow. [Laughs] And the worst of all was the last one. It's called the discogram — they allow no medication, no relaxants at all, and the whole purpose of the procedure is to duplicate the pain that you feel.

"So, at that point in time, I was slowly coming off this poison called methodone, which ruined my life, and another pill, which anybody who takes it is out of their mind. It's [a muscle relaxant] called Soma. That's what makes you sound like you're on the biggest amount of dope in the world — it makes you retarded, and I hated it. And so I want to apologize to all of my fans. I just wanted to play for you guys, man. And I think an apology is due for all my close friends and family, who had to endure what they didn't understand. And Dimebag, Vinnie Paul, Rex — they didn't understand the pain I was going through and the medicines and all of that. I apologize — so much. I'm not making excuses, but living with chronic pain makes you antisocial, depressed, not yourself. It changes your life, and it did mine, and now I want it back.

"And so, next month, on November the eighth [pushed back to Nov. 21 after this interview was conducted — Ed.], I'm going under the knife, and I'm getting this motherfucker fixed finally, and I will walk through walls again, and I will punch through bricks, and I will rise again. Mark my goddamn words."

Revolver: When you do tour again, are you worried at all that some crazy will try to take you out?

Anselmo: "There ain't no way I'm playing a show unless the security's tight and everybody knows the score, man."

Revolver: But as you know, some people really hate you…

Anselmo: "Man, look, there is no way anyone in this world can vicariously live through that tragedy and blame anyone but the kid who shot my guitar player, for God's sake. So many people don't even know me, and they have formed an opinion. I would suggest to every person that reads this, before you judge anyone else, make sure and check yourself out first. Because imperfection is just a human way, man. And opinions are like assholes — everybody has one. And when you assume something, yes, the ass comes out in you. Don't believe every fucking thing that you read, especially these goddamn tabloid magazines, like Kerrang! and Metal Hammer, for all the tasteless bullshit that they pulled."

Revolver: So what did those magazines pull? And how big a role did it play in things going so wrong with PANTERA in the end?

Anselmo: "You know, after the SLAYER/MORBID ANGEL tour [in 2001] that we did, I thought it was wisest to take a break. I wanted to get the second DOWN album done, and I wanted to release the SUPERJOINT [RITUAL] album, because both of them had been on ice for so long. Never did I think that before interviews would even start, I'd have guys come in and tell me how much Darrell and Vince hated my guts. Or I would say something in jest, or I would say something that would be taken so completely out of context, like, I would kick Dimebag Darrell's ass or something like that." [see previous BLABBERMOUTH.NET story]

"Look, man, the world knows that I probably wouldn't be the easiest guy to fight, but I would never raise a hand to Dimebag Darrell. That would be like raising a hand to my own family, and it would never happen. Ever. No way.

"And goddamn, man, I would never quit PANTERA. Are you crazy? I mean, that was my home. That was my real band, you know? And now, yeah, I'm starting from scratch, and all I know how to do is play music. That's all I know how to do. But if there's any silver lining within all these clouds, it's that our music does live forever within our records. That is immortal. As is the strength of our fans and the faith that I have in our fans to realize that Dime's murder was the action of a psychotic motherfucker who believed in the media too much and fell into this hype thing. Our fans are hardcore, and it kills them, what happened, but it's not going to do any good to take sides, because there is only one side, you know?

"So goddamn the effects of drugs, goddamn the fucking media personnel who toy with words and don't expect consequences. And goddamn anyone who thinks that I had anything but love for Dimebag Darrell. A part of me, a gigantic part of me, is destroyed, and I am a different man."

Philip Anselmo's entire interview with Revolver can be found in the magazine's February 2006 issue, due to hit newsstands on December 6.

(BLABBERMOUTH.NET would like to thank Shawn Thompson of http://www.VinnieAndDime.com for providing the scans that were the basis for this story)
Hate the religion and pity the believer.
[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a50/VishDonkeyPunch/thlohanboobies.gif[/img]
MetalGoddess

Post by MetalGoddess »

Wow. I had no idea. We all thought he was strung out on heroin. My hubby went through a herniated disc and back surgery last year, so I can totally relate to what he is saying. Phil sounds very sincere in this interview. I hope he makes a quick recovery.

Project Undead Vish wrote:"We, PANTERA, had the greatest, the most intense, dedicated fans I've ever seen in my goddamn life."
Hell, yeah!!! I am one of them!!! :metalhead
[color="Magenta"][font="Century Gothic"][b][i][SIZE="2"][url]http://www.myspace.com/metalgoddesscarrie[/url][/SIZE][/i][/b][/font][/color]
Project Undead Vish

MetalGoddess wrote: Hell, yeah!!! I am one of them!!! :metalhead
ditto. always will be. phil has hinted in the past that being in pantera has destroyed his body, especially his back, so i had always figured that he always acted so strung out was because of chronic back pain. im sure that there are a ton of folks that are going to shit on him anyhow and not believe what he says or whatnot. but yeah, fuck em.
[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a50/VishDonkeyPunch/thlohanboobies.gif[/img]
MetalGoddess

Post by MetalGoddess »

Project Undead Vish wrote:ditto. always will be. phil has hinted in the past that being in pantera has destroyed his body, especially his back, so i had always figured that he always acted so strung out was because of chronic back pain. im sure that there are a ton of folks that are going to shit on him anyhow and not believe what he says or whatnot. but yeah, fuck em.
Oh, and happy to see that your Lindsey Lohan signature is working again! :D ;)
[color="Magenta"][font="Century Gothic"][b][i][SIZE="2"][url]http://www.myspace.com/metalgoddesscarrie[/url][/SIZE][/i][/b][/font][/color]
Project Undead Vish

me too. it just never gets old!
Scott

Post by Scott »

Back problems and painkillers? That explains a lot. Doesn't surprise me at all. As for the media and Pantera's demise, who knows what the real story is.
Vocaltremors

Post by Vocaltremors »

Fuck, that's so scary because I am dealing with the pain from Central Spinal Stenosis (narrowing of the spinal canal, usually caused by bone spurs), and my pain management doctor has suggested methadone treatments.
Project Undead Vish

wow, i expected some serious flaming on this. glad to see that there isnt and there can be some sympathy on these forums. when i was 16, i slipped while squatting 425 lbs in weight lifting class and my back has never been the same. it doesnt help that i weigh 300 lbs (though i have lost 50 lbs in the last year), because being heavy doesnt help the situation.
Six6VI

Post by Six6VI »

Because I'd rather be thought of as a heroin addict over coming out and telling people that I have massive back problems and totally zonked on pain killers.

Whatever.

Sorry, I'm still a bit suspect of half of the shit that comes out of Anselmo's mouth.

Lee
[font=Franklin Gothic Medium][color=white]Lee[/color][/font]

[align=left][font=Franklin Gothic Medium][color=#ffffff][url=http://www.myspace.com/brewcityldb][b]MyCrack[/b][/url]
[/color][/font][font=Franklin Gothic Medium][color=#ffffff][url=http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1230685414][b]Facecrack[/b][/url][/color][/font][/align]
Demolition Hammer

Post by Demolition Hammer »

Project Undead Vish wrote:wow, i expected some serious flaming on this. glad to see that there isnt and there can be some sympathy on these forums.
Only out of respect for the dead, despite what I think of their band. Though I will say Anselmo is and always has been a douchebag.
I have to return some videotapes.

Fallen Angels new CD "Rise From Ashes" available now from [url=http://www.metal-on-metal.com]Metal On Metal Records,[/url]. Visit our Myspace page [url=http://www.myspace.com/fallenangelsthrash]here[/url] for samples.

[url=http://www.tulalipchampionshipwrestling.com]TCW - Tulalip Championship Wrestling[/url]
MaggotExistence

Post by MaggotExistence »

Demolition Hammer wrote:Only out of respect for the dead, despite what I think of their band. Though I will say Anselmo is and always has been a douchebag.
Agreed.
"Judge me not, as you don't understand my way
Law equals justice, for those who conspired it
Judge me not, every word is a shade of grey
Law equals justice, and freedom is but a lie"
xryanvkm

Post by xryanvkm »

Well I loved Phil when he was not on dope he was an amazing singer in his day! Now he blows, but songs like "Cemetary Gates" and so many others show his talented vocal skills. For what reason people whine about him over and over and over I will never know!!! Dimebag Darrell R.I.P I have been sick so I was watching 2 hours of Pantera videos tonight on T.V. and the video for "5 minutes along" has up close multi angle shots of DIME's guitar picking, its worth watching for someone who is learning guitar or somethings.
Demolition Hammer

Post by Demolition Hammer »

xryanvkm wrote:Well I loved Phil when he was not on dope he was an amazing singer in his day! Now he blows,
He definitely was a good singer, but he squandered his ability.
I have to return some videotapes.

Fallen Angels new CD "Rise From Ashes" available now from [url=http://www.metal-on-metal.com]Metal On Metal Records,[/url]. Visit our Myspace page [url=http://www.myspace.com/fallenangelsthrash]here[/url] for samples.

[url=http://www.tulalipchampionshipwrestling.com]TCW - Tulalip Championship Wrestling[/url]
Nichole

Post by Nichole »

Six6VI wrote:Because I'd rather be thought of as a heroin addict over coming out and telling people that I have massive back problems and totally zonked on pain killers.

Whatever.

Sorry, I'm still a bit suspect of half of the shit that comes out of Anselmo's mouth.

Lee
Agreed! I call Bullshit! I can't see not wanting to tell people about my pain but to instead have them think I was a junkie. Most people never shut up about their pain because they are IN pain so it's on your mind. And I'm sorry but if that is the case you have to do what you have to do and he should have gotten it fixed, no matter what tour was coming up...then maybe there could have been another one. Dick. Not doubting that he misses Dimebag R.I.P. or being in Pantera (who wouldn't?) but this just sounds like him pointing the finger at everything/everyone but him.
Six6VI

Post by Six6VI »

Nichole wrote:...but this just sounds like him pointing the finger at everything/everyone but him.
Hmmmmm... Yup, sounds like Phil Anselmo.

Sorry, I respect what he accomplished while in Pantera but I've always thought the guy was Grade A dickshine.

Lee
[font=Franklin Gothic Medium][color=white]Lee[/color][/font]

[align=left][font=Franklin Gothic Medium][color=#ffffff][url=http://www.myspace.com/brewcityldb][b]MyCrack[/b][/url]
[/color][/font][font=Franklin Gothic Medium][color=#ffffff][url=http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1230685414][b]Facecrack[/b][/url][/color][/font][/align]