Brokeback Mountain

As in not off. If you want to post about mainstream flicks, this is the forum.

Moderator: Chris Slack

aphrodite

Brokeback Mountain

Post by aphrodite »

I realize that inquiring about an openly gay western film on the forums might be like lighting a campfire with gasoline, but has anyone seen it? I saw a trailer for the film sometime last year and I have been waiting for the release since. It's getting amazing reviews and I'd really like to go see it this weekend. Anyone?
We read the world wrong and say that it deceives us. - Rabindranath Tagore
Irrylath

Post by Irrylath »

aphrodite wrote:I realize that inquiring about an openly gay western film on the forums might be like lighting a campfire with gasoline, but has anyone seen it? I saw a trailer for the film sometime last year and I have been waiting for the release since. It's getting amazing reviews and I'd really like to go see it this weekend. Anyone?
I wanna go! :) Let me know if you need a date.

The gay Republican at work and I have been talking about this movie lately. We're both kind of put off by all the press it's getting and how the focus is on two guys making out. Two HOT guys, by the way. We have both either seen or read interviews talking with the actors and they've been very "Grrrrr....I'm very manly, this was really hard for me, bitch, whine, moan." I want to see it before there are too many opinions (read gossip) out there so that I can watch this in a mostly unbiased manner. I want to focus on the tragic and moving love story not two dudes kissing. :D
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats.
- - - Albert Schweitzer

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v694/irrylath76/mordor.jpg[/img]
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

In all honesty, the previews for that movie make it look like a made-for-tv production. It looks bland, uninteresting. And it would still be that way if it was about a man and a women cheating on their spouses, rather than man and man. I think they're banking on the gay appeal to push it to make money.
Take a picture, trick. I'm on a boat, bitch.
Federico

Post by Federico »

As a gay man, and the only one that will actually admit it on this board... I can tell you that I'll probably wait for the DVD and rent it and even that is a maybe... but I hear ya the 2 hot guys making out...hmmmm probably the best part of the movie watchin the two heteros kiss hahahahaha!
aphrodite

Post by aphrodite »

Federico wrote:hmmmm probably the best part of the movie watchin the two heteros kiss hahahahaha!
Agreed. I can't wait. :)

I heard a review this morning that put a different spin on the movie to me. Apparently their characters are two hadworking manly men who don't necessarily know they are gay, but find themselves inexplicably attracted to each other. It's worth a shot.

Vally, I will let you know. I'm trying to sqeeeeeze it in on Sunday between two other engagements. I'll give you a ring.
Angelica

Post by Angelica »

A gay friend of mine that lives in Texas (I don't know how he does it) had the following to say about it:

"It was AMAZINGLY TRAGIC!!! Yet... subtlely triumphant."

Hmm... maybe there is actually something to this movie!
[color="Indigo"][b]NEFARIOUS PRODUCTIONS[/b][/color]

[size=75][color="DarkSlateBlue"]"The lions are out of their cages, and you may well find that they'll eat the mouthy Christians first." - S.K.[/color][/size]

[font="Century Gothic"][b][color="Purple"]Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. - Voltaire[/color][/b][/font]
aphrodite

Post by aphrodite »

Angelica wrote:A gay friend of mine that lives in Texas (I don't know how he does it) had the following to say about it:

"It was AMAZINGLY TRAGIC!!! Yet... subtlely triumphant."

Hmm... maybe there is actually something to this movie!
Awesome. I was planning on seeing it this weekend, but I got too busy. Maybe this weekend. I'm dying to check it out.
MEL

Post by MEL »

i saw this movie last night.

it was utterly disturbing-not the whole dude on dude situation, but the fact that they beat the shit outa each other and the one dude practicaly raped the other guy. it would have been equally disturbing had it been a man and a women.

violent cowboy sex-no thank you!
[url]http://www.myspace.com/seattleladymusiciansearch[/url]
Remo D

Post by Remo D »

Well, I'm still partial to HULK, but if it's an excellent, well-acted, beautifully photographed romantic tragedy you're drawn to, then by all means check out BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN.

There's a lot more to it than "violent cowboy sex," but that's part of the deal when you're dealing with two central characters who are simultaneously fighting and accepting a side of themselves that they know that noone else will accept.

Oh, so you're not gay? Well, guess what--neither am I. I also don't happen to be black, Asian, Jewish, a woman or a senior citizen, but that never stopped me from checking out movies that focus on them. Of course, I'm still (extremely) partial to horror and fantasy as opposed to romantic tragedy--see how it works?

Check it out--you know the rest of the country already has...

Remo D.
My dog's breath smells like peanut butter...

...and I don't even have a dog!
mickey brown-eye

Post by mickey brown-eye »

It was hard not to laugh when Gyllenhal was gettin g pounded by Ledger, especially when he spit on his cock first. Other than that catering to my twisted view of comedy, it was a great movie. Being a south Park fan, I was waiting for them to break out the pudding ha ha.
:headshot: [font=Comic Sans MS][size=167][color=YellowGreen][b]chunks[/b][/color][/size][/font]
[url=http://www.myspace.com/httpwwwmyspacecommickeybrowneye]Mickey Brown-eye Myspace[/url]
[url=http://www.myspace.com/umbilicalparricide]Umbilical Parricide Myspace[/url]