Nacho Libre

As in not off. If you want to post about mainstream flicks, this is the forum.

Moderator: Chris Slack

Remo D

Nacho Libre

Post by Remo D »

Well, well, well... this one's going to be very hard for me to explain.

Let's start with NAPOLEON DYNAMITE. Never "got" it, not sure I ever will. For all its reputation, I was confronted with a film in which I simply could not locate the "funny." It just went on and on doing the "quirky" thing--and sure, I could find some bits I enjoyed ("Rex Kwon-Do," the appearance of Jonathan Gries from my guilty pleasure TERRORVISION)--and of course, we're all building up to the big dance finale. But I never laughed and I kept wondering when the hell I would. It's not THAT hard to make me laugh, after all. My daughter hated it. Ah, but then she watched it again on the urging of her friends, and now she loves it (and the quotes continue to drive me buggy). I looked again. Still didn't do it for me.

But when I saw the trailer for NACHO LIBRE? I saw Jack Black, and I saw a genuinely loving, humorous look at the Lucha Libre phenomenon in the offing. Wrestling nut that I am, something told me right away that this was one I was going to go out of my way to catch. Only later did I notice that it came from the director of NAPOLEON DYNAMITE.

Then came the reviews. And I'm not talking about Roger Ebert and others who have no understanding of pro wrestling--I'm talking about trusted friends who were greatly looking forward to it and then just... didn't... get it. They described the same awkward timing and lack of payoff that NAPOLEON DYNAMITE served up to me. I had to wonder.

But I took my daughter anyway.

And I laughed so hard I cried, I kid you not. It was one of the best times I've had at the movies in years. Jack Black was hysterical, the Lucha Libre was treated with respect (not to mention accuracy), and there's that CORNCOB!!!

Oh, man... I ate some bugs, I ate some grass, I used my hand to wipe my

Look. I can't tell you whether or not you'll like it or not. Plenty of people have shut this one out just like I shut ND out. Apparently Jared Hess makes movies with VERY specific audiences in mind. And it won't be the same audience for each movie.

So I'll tell you what. I'm going to tell you straight up that I loved NACHO LIBRE. And that I'll understand completely if you don't. And that I still don't like NAPOLEON DYNAMITE. And that I'll understand completely if you do.

Fair enough?
My dog's breath smells like peanut butter...

...and I don't even have a dog!
Born in a Casket

Post by Born in a Casket »

OK, I will 100% agree with you, ND SUCKED BALLS! Not funny... and honestly, not only did I not get it, but I found it rather repulsive.... it's one of those movies that I will never understand why it was such a huge deal... like... it seriously made me feel like I needed to take a shower just watching it.... when I saw the trailer for Nacho Libre.... I knew immediately that there wasn't a chance in hell I would even give it the benefit of a doubt... so call me close minded (which i'm usually not) but... I can't deal with another ND... oddly enough, thats not my main reason for not seeing this film.... the MAIN reason is I've always had a problem with Jack Black movies because Jack Black bears an insanely identical resemblence to my dead beat excuse of a "father." and if you knew the history behind my "dad" you'd understand just why I don't want to watch him for an hour in "stretchy pants" clentching his ass cheeks together!!!! Infact, the commercials are almost tramatizing enough...
RockMyMonkey

Post by RockMyMonkey »

I hated NAPOLEON DYNAMITE. One of the worst moveis I have seen in years...and I go through Netflix like TP during a new years day hangover. I have also found that I hate anything where Jack Black is a lead. He is great in a supporting role, but when he tries to do lead he just seems like he is trying to hard and good funny needs to be a natural thing. I might Netflix this one just for the train wreck, but I hated NP so much that it might keep me from ever giving this one a chance too.
All new RockMyMonkey.com Feb 1st 2008!

If your band isn't on [url=http://twitter.com/MarkCarras]Twitter[/url] then you fail at life!
ZXRO

Oh yeah!!!

Post by ZXRO »

I saw this on Friday night. I started laughing, hard and loud, within the first couple of minutes, and I didn't stop there. It is hee haw, pee in your pants funny.
[color=DarkRed][i]"Oh James, I am getting away with murder and you're just jealous" -Michael Alig[/i][/color]

[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/ZxRO+MBM][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/recessed/plate/ZxRO+MBM.png[/img][/url]