Pulse--I was in the neighborhood...

Horrornews is a discussion forum for true horror fans to discuss the more obscure areas of the horror/cult/exploitation film genre as well as current theatrical horror.

Moderator: Chris Slack

Remo D

Pulse--I was in the neighborhood...

Post by Remo D »

...and I was in a very good mood, having wrapped up the eighth season of MANOR and what I thought was an excellent interview for Carmel Magazine (scheduled for November).

PULSE was playing. No real anticipation, but I had NOT seen the Japanese original--perhaps there was a decent surprise or two to be had with this--or at least some harmless fun? Why not take a chance and rejoin the mainstream for a spell?

Did I ever tell you that I was thinking of becoming a plumber? They make decent money, and when THEY stick their heads into toilets, THEY have a good REASON.
My dog's breath smells like peanut butter...

...and I don't even have a dog!
chemical boy

Post by chemical boy »

LOL!
Good luck dude..remember without you folk really wouldn't have a pot to piss in! lol!
Remo D

Post by Remo D »

Thanks, man.

Okay, SINCE somebody responded, I can give a bit more detail.

Like I said, I have not seen the original and will deliberately avoid comparisons. Nonetheless, I was well aware that this WAS a remake of a Japanese film... and I've seen most of them from RING to DARK WATER--some work better than others, etc. etc.

The new PULSE made me want to walk out in the first ten minutes--it was painfully obvious from the first "scare" that there weren't going to be any. All too familiar phantoms lurking in the corners, reflecting in windows, gone when you look directly at them... then they finally pop out and go "Yabba Dabba Doo" or something as they pounce.

Bad stuff finding a way from the world of the dead to the living through electronic means. Yeah, you know. POLTERGEIST, FEARDOTCOM, WHITE NOISE, etc. etc., some came before the original PULSE, some came after. I'm not going to knock the lack of originality. You can still pull it off if you've got the savvy. But this was just so routine it was literally painful (first they don't believe it, then they start finding clues that the machines start spitting out, then they start to believe, but it's too late, but maybe if we plaster the walls with red tape, but maybe if we can find the guy who wrote the original program.... JU-ON (or THE GRUDGE). THE RING. THE RING TWO. STAY ALIVE.

Just too many of them. It's run into the ground, and this one has NOTHING fresh to offer. NOTHING. Meanwhile, it's toned down to a PG-13 (but I doubt an R would have helped), Wes Craven sacrifices the reasonable good will that RED EYE gave him after the CURSED debacle, and this thing goes out there looking like too many other films and marketed to draw the same crowd with a "you liked that, so you'll like this, no matter how little effort we actually make."

BIG mistake for me to check this out--I really should have known better. Don't count on me to be standing in line for THE COVENANT, either. Black leather/goth look, MATRIX computer tricks, "From the people who brought you UNDERWORLD," rated PG-13. Unless a LOT of people I trust tell me that it's REALLY something special, I'm giving it the miss that PULSE deserved.

And in the meantime, the public at large shuns THE DESCENT--maybe partly because of THE CAVE, but I'm guessing because Lionsgate basically tried to sell it as the next SAW or HOSTEL.

The actual MOVIES have become the afterthought... that's why I'm so much happier playing host/historian than I am putting up with the newest, "hottest" horror...

Remo D.
My dog's breath smells like peanut butter...

...and I don't even have a dog!
Irrylath

Post by Irrylath »

Thanks, man. I knew that looked crappy. ;)
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats.
- - - Albert Schweitzer

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v694/irrylath76/mordor.jpg[/img]