The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning

Horrornews is a discussion forum for true horror fans to discuss the more obscure areas of the horror/cult/exploitation film genre as well as current theatrical horror.

Moderator: Chris Slack

DrownJay

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning

Post by DrownJay »

I posted here a few months ago stating that this movie would be a waste of time, based on the re-make of the original. However, after reading a few reviews; I may have spoke to soon. This review in particular, makes me want to go and check it out. Read for yourself:

Review
gsfnw

Post by gsfnw »

DrownJay wrote:I posted here a few months ago stating that this movie would be a waste of time, based on the re-make of the original. However, after reading a few reviews; I may have spoke to soon. This review in particular, makes me want to go and check it out. Read for yourself:

Review
Everything I have heard about this movie is absolutely postitive. I can't wait to see it.
DrownJay

Post by DrownJay »

Angelica

Post by Angelica »

Oh, I need no convincing....

STOKED, I am. (as yoda would say)
[color="Indigo"][b]NEFARIOUS PRODUCTIONS[/b][/color]

[size=75][color="DarkSlateBlue"]"The lions are out of their cages, and you may well find that they'll eat the mouthy Christians first." - S.K.[/color][/size]

[font="Century Gothic"][b][color="Purple"]Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. - Voltaire[/color][/b][/font]
Latte Thunder

Post by Latte Thunder »

I had no interest in seeing this until I started seeing ads for it. The original did nothing for me. I didn't hate it but it was definitely time wasted. This one has a look about it that I can get into. If it's in the vein of the recent mainstream brutalities like Devil's Rejects and The Hills Have Eyes remake, I'll be there.

R. Lee Ermey also played a large part in selling me on this.
[url=http://www.cinema-suicide.com]Cinema Suicide[/url]
[url=http://soundtracks.cinema-suicide.com]Soundtrack Apocalisse[/url]
Remo D

Post by Remo D »

Well, THIS one had no problem holding my attention. It knows exactly what it's about and why it was made... and considering the shellacking DARKNESS FALLS took, this ought to wipe out any PG-13 memories.

Yep, it's another "how the hell did THAT get an R?" extreme film. The answer is simple: Michael Bay has clout. Sure, there'll be a token "unrated" version, but rest assured that it's just going to let a few bits and pieces go on for a few more token frames that they could "pretend" to cut for an R. You'll get the full effect in this version, no two ways about it.

The previously cited reviews get it right--this one isn't quite as "handsome" as the Marcus Nispel remake (which I thought was better than it had any right to be even if it didn't quite hit the heights), but there's something at work here that transcends "gore for gore's sake."

For one thing, it fulfills its duties as a prequel by providing clearly defined answers to the plentiful questions that the Nispel film left hanging. And not just where Leatherface came from in the first place (although there's a rather convincingly disturbing origin to be had). I recall that the "original" failed to define whether we were dealing with an actual family or a entire townful of crazies, whether R. Lee Ermey was a duly-elected (albeit insane) sheriff or not, etc. The prequel fills in all the gaps without ever slowing down or making it feel like "exposition" at the expense of shock value.

(And oh, yes, Ermey OWNS this one, too. Leatherface may be the icon, but do you notice how he's almost never the dominant character?)

Then there's the prequel "curse." You know BLOODY well that none of the villains are going to be killed. And it's at the very least EXTREMELY unlikely (but not out-and-out impossible) that any of the other principals will survive. And yet you keep watching because despite all that, you can't tell ahead of time just how it's all going to play out. Sure, there are some stalk-and-slash cliches--how can you NOT have them with a series like this? But it's just not that... simple. You'll see.

The prequel also knows damn well how timely it is. It's set in 1969, Vietnam is in full flare, we've got reluctant draftees, we've got determined re-enlistees, and we have scarred veterans of previous wars--none of it is gratuitous in the least. But if you think that this is just historical detail, pay attention to a scene in which two principal characters KNOW that they've been caught in a lie that's going to make their predicament worse. One of them wants to own up. And the other says... "Stay the course." Sound familiar?

One can pursue that line as far as one would like, even though it isn't necessary to do so for the film to work--I personally felt that the film showed respect for the soldiers themselves while acknowledging the hopelessness of their situation--it didn't blame them for being there (Vietnam or any OTHER war you'd care to name). "Support our troops--bring them home!"

This one's going to be another critical darling--if Roger Ebert weren't hospitalized, you'd be assured of another zero-star review. And yes, this film IS as hopeless, nihilistic, grisly and downright horrifying as anyone who hates it has said. So why MAKE such a film? Money? Damn right. But consider this in light of the above... can you think of such horrific things happening in real life? Or of anyone who's taking every possible step to make sure that you DON'T see it?

The "rub it in your face" approach usually doesn't work on me. This time I think it's justified.

Oh, on a side note? I was INFURIATED during the screening I attended. Did I miss the announcement? Was it "Bring Your Baby to a Horror Movie" day? Not one, but TWO infants in the audience. They cried a bit, but THEY weren't so bad. But one of those infants had a FIVE-YEAR-OLD SISTER in attendance, brought to THIS film by a couple of IDIOT PARENTS!!!!

You might remember my similar rant a few years back with the EXORCIST re-release. Same thing but worse here. They let the baby crawl around in the THEATRE and kept chasing after it. And the little girl was subjected to this EXTREME movie--and thanks to the "R" rating, there was NOTHING I could say about it.

They always said that when I was a parent, I'd feel differently about horror films. Wrong. NOT the movie's fault, not the filmmakers' fault. And I STILL don't buy into any of that "it's going to turn her into a sociopath" crap. It's not going to "make" her do anything. But it's far more than she needs to see! What about simply UPSETTING her? SCARING her?

Hey, Mr. and Mrs. IDIOT. Can't find a sitter? Then SKIP THE MOVIE and wait for the freakin' DVD. Yeah, you bought your ticket, and you're entitled to bring children of all ages because you're the "adult guardians." So I can't tell you what to do. I can't stop you, and I won't try. But I think you're a couple of rotten, irresponsible, insensitive parents based on what I saw that day. And I'm a parent myself, so I get to say that! Nyeah.

Okay--back to the grownups. The stories are true, and in my humble opinion, the CHAINSAW prequel really is one of the best horror films of the year.

And I'm surprised as you are to hear me say that.

Remo D.
My dog's breath smells like peanut butter...

...and I don't even have a dog!
goddess_7371

Post by goddess_7371 »

Went and saw this movie the other night. I loved it thought it was a little too short we went to the drive in and saw it. the movie was other before my 6 month old was asleep in the back seat. but the thing that bothered me was the family of four with two children not even over the age of ten. sitting and watching this movie. i just dont think you should take little kids who are actually going to watch the film to a movie like this.
"Cage goes into salsa, sharks in the salsa, our shark"~ clerks
hodgy

Post by hodgy »

Saw this yesterday, and really enjoyed it. I probably would've liked it even more if I hadn't woken up so drunk. I had one problem big problem with it though- When the kids are driving near the beginning, 'Vehicle' by the Ides of March is playing. Even an idiot knows that song wasn't released until 1971, and the film is set in 1969.
[url=http://www.buttafuko.com/]Hey, Buttafuko!![/url]

[url=http://www.myspace.com/buttafuko]More Buttafuko!![/url]

[url=http://www.myspace.com/hodgy666]Who, me?[/url]

[url=http://www.thebraindead.com]Lick it, Slam it, Suck it.[/url]

[url=http://www.myspace.com/clawmusic]CLAW[/url]

[url=http://www.myspace.com/devilsfood1/]Devil's Food!![/url]
Sister Khaos

Post by Sister Khaos »

fuck... am I the only person sick of these movies....? Even though it is a prequel to a very good movie, it was still too reminiscent of most of the horror movies I have seen the past while now. Deserted town, two couples, dessert and forest areas, car scenes, creepy house, inbred family, last girl left (horrid actress). blah. Boring fucking boring. I am going to go rent some more Asian horror and have more nightmares about weird creepy hair and ghosts that ooze along the floor.
[url=http://www.myspace.com/charliedrown]http://www.myspace.com/charliedrown[/url]

[url=http://www.charliedrown.com]http://www.charliedrown.com[/url]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/charliedrownofficial]http://www.youtube.com/charliedrownofficial[/url]
DrownJay

Post by DrownJay »

It was ok.

I don't feel the reviews shadow how I perceived the movie. I thought the brutality was something that made it stick out a little more.

I don't know about you, but when the slaughterhouse owner gets clocked in the face, I felt it.

In my opinion the movie didn't really get going until Leatherface started the chainsaw up for the first time and the bloodfest began.

I'd say this beats the re-make but it doesn't outdue the original.
dr coathanger

Post by dr coathanger »

I can't speak too badly of this film. When I go to see a movie with the words Chainsaw Masscare in the title all I can hope for is chainsaw put to flesh as much and as explicitly as possible and it certainly delivered in that department. It's not as though I expect a sequel, remake, or prequel to a remake(!) to overshadow the original. That said, I couldn't help feel a tinge of disappointment when all was sawed and done (sorry, I really couldn't help it :p ). Maybe it was the reviews I read first, which is atypical for me, here and elsewhere that alluded to "surprises". It's just more of the same, though that's not a necessarily a bad thing. The only thing mildly surprising was how such a shitty actress got the lead in any kind of feature film. Her direct-to-dvd performance ruined the climactic *SPOILER ALERT* dinner scene, though the dialogue didn't help much either. And I hate to say it, but a little too much of a good thing with R. Lee Ermey; it's hard to get into a horror movie when you're chuckling at his schtick every three minutes. Still one of the best movies in the franchise (take that for what it's worth) but in my opinion it's beat out by both The Hills Have Eyes and The Descent for best of the year consideration.
chemical boy

Chainsaw The Begining

Post by chemical boy »

Ok so here are my thoughts on this film...it rates about a five million on my fucked up shit o meter good stuff classic chainsaw action major death and slaughter which is always a plus.
One quick thing though who else would just love to Kill that sherif man I walk out of that film full of ideas on how I would make him suffer and enjoy it!
I mean lets be honest Tommy wasn't really the bad one it was that fuckin sherif he must die!
and that's all I have to say about that
Although if a film inspires emotion it must be good most films just leave you thinking "where did I park my car?" or "holy shit I gotta piss" or "damn I need a cigarette"
but not this film no sir this film leaves you thinking damn that was fucked up and awsome!
C.B.
chemical boy

Post by chemical boy »

ok....I still dug this flick and I gotta say it makes Devils Rejects look tame as a spade kitten
Don't know what to jump to next though like I said no good horror comming soon usually I wait till it hits the dollar theater in downtown Hilo what can I say I'm cheap but hey if the movies sucks I only blew a dollar right so no loss
I still haven't seen slither to be honest I've been watching old kung fu movies for the last month you know the kind with the bad voice overs lol
gotta love em
still lookin for good horror flicks though
keep me posted
C.B.
gsfnw

Lame!!!!!

Post by gsfnw »

After hearig all of the hype, I was sorely disappointed with this movie. I hated the characters, not nearly enough gore for what was hyped, and the ending was so predictable.

To me it seemed like a worse remake than the first remake.

Plus, I have a very hard time sympathizing with Vietnam draft dodgers, as my father is a Vietnam veteran. I was rooting for Hoyt!

I mean when Leather got the draft dodger with the chainsaw and picked him up, I wanted to see the fucker cut in half with guts everwhere. Instad he just got tossed off. Lame!
chemical boy

Good ole Cell

Post by chemical boy »

An extreme variation in topic...however, I must say that my faith in horror was re ignighted by this flick there is nothing like a good ole fashion mind fuck to get one in the mood for halloween agreed?
aaaaaaaah last halloween drunk and in a wheel chair smokin a cigar
what more could you ask for and oh yeah I got laid that night too!
tuff act to follow
C.B.
Gorified

Post by Gorified »

I thought this one was pretty good but, nothing special. I thought the remake of the original was better though. I really liked the remake, not sure why so many people around here are so bitter about it. Then again, I tend to see value in a lot of movies that people hate. Maybe it's just cool to bash horror in general these days. :rolleyes:
4 out of 5 losers agree, you're cool!