Watched all the "horror" flicks at Blockbuster.

Horrornews is a discussion forum for true horror fans to discuss the more obscure areas of the horror/cult/exploitation film genre as well as current theatrical horror.

Moderator: Chris Slack

Broken_Glass_Lotion

Watched all the "horror" flicks at Blockbuster.

Post by Broken_Glass_Lotion »

Now I need to know where to go to find the indie films. Granted, I saw "Blood Drive" on the shelf at Cockbuster and yeah, I am going to rent it but, I need to know where I can rent the majority if not all of the Fangoria flicks while I buy them one by one. Them guys are the shit when it comes to special effects. I checked out a the video from Mortician on Youtube, Dead Alive, The video contains footage of a guy killing zombies with a converted lawn mower. He basically runs through the mobs of them and blood is splattering all over the place. It's just a guess at this point but that looks like something the Fangoria guys had a hand in. Any reference to the indie community of horror would be helpful.

Thanks
Just some sick fuck.
Broken_Glass_Lotion

Pardon me for being rude and not leaving a link to the Mortician video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AbPAFUN9js

Enjoy.
dr coathanger

Post by dr coathanger »

Broken_Glass_Lotion wrote:Now I need to know where to go to find the indie films. Granted, I saw "Blood Drive" on the shelf at Cockbuster and yeah, I am going to rent it but, I need to know where I can rent the majority if not all of the Fangoria flicks while I buy them one by one. Them guys are the shit when it comes to special effects. I checked out a the video from Mortician on Youtube, Dead Alive, The video contains footage of a guy killing zombies with a converted lawn mower. He basically runs through the mobs of them and blood is splattering all over the place. It's just a guess at this point but that looks like something the Fangoria guys had a hand in. Any reference to the indie community of horror would be helpful.

Thanks
Just some sick fuck.
The movie is called "Dead Alive" and Fangoria had nothing to do with it, but Peter Jackson (yes, THAT Peter Jackson) sure did. You should go out of your way to see it and while you're at it check out his first flick "Bad Taste". I don't know how hard these movies are to find. I bought them a long time ago and it is not my custom to peruse video store shelves for movies I own, but considering how big Peter Jackson is (pun intended), I would imagine they should be available at your local video store.
Broken_Glass_Lotion

dr coathanger wrote:The movie is called "Dead Alive" and Fangoria had nothing to do with it, but Peter Jackson (yes, THAT Peter Jackson) sure did. You should go out of your way to see it and while you're at it check out his first flick "Bad Taste". I don't know how hard these movies are to find. I bought them a long time ago and it is not my custom to peruse video store shelves for movies I own, but considering how big Peter Jackson is (pun intended), I would imagine they should be available at your local video store.

Well it was just a guess but damn what fantasitc gore. I'm a newb when it comes to the indie scen of horror so any leads to the treu (yeah like Bleu cheese!) path of horror would kill. Peter Jackson. No shit. didn't he have something to do with the lord of the rings? Sorry for not googling my intelligence.

Later,
T.W.
dr coathanger

Post by dr coathanger »

Broken_Glass_Lotion wrote: Peter Jackson. No shit. didn't he have something to do with the lord of the rings? Sorry for not googling my intelligence.

Later,
T.W.
Yup. Before making awesome movies like the Lord of the Rings trilogy and King Kong he was making even more awesomer movies like "Meet the Feebles".
Like I said, if you get the chance you will not be disappointed by his back catalog. As far as more indie horror, ehhh...where to start? I haven't been too impressed by anything recent.
Broken_Glass_Lotion

dr coathanger wrote:Yup. Before making awesome movies like the Lord of the Rings trilogy and King Kong he was making even more awesomer movies like "Meet the Feebles".
Like I said, if you get the chance you will not be disappointed by his back catalog. As far as more indie horror, ehhh...where to start? I haven't been too impressed by anything recent.

I think I have found a new obseission. I will undergo this course of study. Thanks DcH!
gothbat

Post by gothbat »

While watching that music video I realized that it has been far too long since I've seen Dead Alive/Braindead, it's so stale in my memory that I now really miss it after seeing the vid. Don't get me wrong, that was a pretty shitty music video (no offense), but seeing a few highlights from that movie after not seeing it for so long makes me REALLY want to re-watch it!
/\../\

"Come on, let's pay our fuckin' respects!" - Suicide (Return of the Living Dead)
Broken_Glass_Lotion

gothbat wrote:While watching that music video I realized that it has been far too long since I've seen Dead Alive/Braindead, it's so stale in my memory that I now really miss it after seeing the vid. Don't get me wrong, that was a pretty shitty music video (no offense), but seeing a few highlights from that movie after not seeing it for so long makes me REALLY want to re-watch it!
I just like the part where he runs through the mob with that lawn mower thingy. I dunno, that sounds like something I could see myself doing if we we over run with zombies someday. You know, like after this nuclear war we are going to have.
MrFulci

Post by MrFulci »

BGL, a good place to find information on other films to track down, that may be of interest to you, are books and the internet.

There are many sites out there with reviews for many horror films, recent, and not so recent (Mortado's page of filth?)

There are some hefty review books out there, flipping through those should present you with plenty of prospects.

Renting, I haven't done much of that in a while. Though, from what I hear/read, "rent by mail" services tend to offer quite a wide selection of films.

PLENTY of stuff is available for purchase on DVD's, and not only through "specialty" retailers.

Dead Alive is decent, it's along the same line as Shain of the Dead.

Trivia about Dead Alive!

During the mid 90's, when it was a new film, a movie theatre in Laurel, Maryland played the movie (Laurel shopping centre, the place where George Wallace was shot).

I didn't catch the movie while it was playing there, though from what I was told from someone who saw it at that theatre, it didn't play very long (Week or two), and the person I know who went to see it said he was one of 3 people in the theatre. He also mentioned that they played the uncut "Brain Dead" version of the film!
Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your penis out when you're cooking.
dr coathanger

Post by dr coathanger »

Broken_Glass_Lotion wrote:I dunno, that sounds like something I could see myself doing if we we over run with zombies someday. You know, like after this nuclear war we are going to have.
http://www.randomhouse.com/crown/worldwarz/
Broken_Glass_Lotion

Right on. I dig zombie stories. Hell, I want to write one but the hard part of that is figuring out a unique way to make them a reality. Radiation/ mutation is overdone. The "gas" thing in night of the Living dead series sorta made sense but still a bit lame for what I am going for. Then, after all that I have to come up with a variety of ways to kill them from the most practical to the downright sick and demented, like acquiring an 18 wheeler and doing a 15-20 minute sequence of driving through literally 1000's of zombies. The main character would be laughing hysterically as he/she swerved to the left and right to make sure not to miss any. And maybe that character will crack a few jokes to pretty much confirm the insanity they were in. Blood, guts, heads, and brains would be obnoxiously splattering all over the windshield. Yeah, something like that.
chemical boy

Post by chemical boy »

Try S.I.C.K. true indie I hated it!
But it's probley what you are looking for, and if you are really into indie crap then creepies is the stuff for you it's so bad I wanted to dig my eyes out of my skull!
There's also Fear of Clowns lame but true indie
oh what can I say I really dislike most indie films!
and you can quote me on that
C.B.
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

Dead Alive/Braindead isn't really indie, it's more...foreign.

The Locals was a pretty good ghost flick out of the same country, once you get past the first 15 minutes or so.

But if you're just looking for low budget gore, look to Germany and the works of Andreas Schnass, and also the much more professional Olaf Ittenbach.

If you just want GORE there're a few volumes of the Guinea Pig series to check out, as well.
[color=Yellow]11/26/65 - 3/9/05[/color]

[b]i miss nme666 and i approve this message.[/b]