The gems of your collection

Horrornews is a discussion forum for true horror fans to discuss the more obscure areas of the horror/cult/exploitation film genre as well as current theatrical horror.

Moderator: Chris Slack

chemical boy

The gems of your collection

Post by chemical boy »

Ok my fellow horror movie buffs,
I ask you to take a moment and observe your horror collection look at each film and ponder this question: Which film defines your collection in simpler terms which do you like best?
I ask this question because I finally found Thinner now I know Stephen King films are not all the rage with regurd to horror but I love that movie! And I couldn't be happier than to have it in my collection at last.
So what are your collection gems?
I know this may be a difficult question for some namely Mr. D No offense I actually enjoy your comments and am actually quite interested to to hear your response as I am to hear everyone elses
yet I do realize with your in depth observation of every film this question may actually be a difficult one for you D
Latte Thunder

Post by Latte Thunder »

Since I started going to horror cons I became an autograph junkie. Bearing that in mind, the discs in my collection that hold in the highest regard are the ones with good memories of meeting genre faces attached to them.

The one that I value most is my Dawn of the Dead box with Romero, plus the cast's sigs on it. Romero's signature is situated next to the photo of him on the outer flap and everyone else's occupy one of the four discs. Unfortunately, there's really not much associated with it outside of the fact that having all those names on it was a feat. Romero seemed very tired of doing autographs by the time I got to him and wasn't particularly social. I can understand. his table must have been swamped from the start of the show to close. Everyone else was pleasant and cordial, but with the exception of Ken Foree (who is a ham and seems to like the fan attention) you could tell that Gaylen, David and Scott were doing it for the money. Can't blame them, though. They were better than Adrienne Barbeau who took my money, signed my Escape From New York and handed it back without so much as a word. Whatever.

My number one favorite, though, is the Divimax Day of the Dead with the die-cut cover. Joe Pilato signed it and he's a god damn riot. I'd heard the guy has problems with pills and booze and I suspected that he was fucked up at the show, but he wasn't a psychopath. He was loud, very funny and really good with the fans. I got to the table, handed over the disc and pointed out where I wanted him to sign. He warned me that he writes a lot and takes up a lot of space and I might want Romero or Savini's names on there at some point. I muttered something about already having met Savini (an unpleasant experience to understate it, to summarize, Tom Savini is a giant asshole). Joe insisted that I tell him what happened when I met Tom and then he and his wife validated me. Apparently, Tom is like that all that time. Joe kept starting to sign the disc and stopping while I stood there shooting the shit with him. He would act like he forgot what he was doing, turn to Lori Cardille and then leap into a re-enactment from Day of the Dead. Eventually he signed it, "Choke on 'em". I also tried to make off with one of the oversized reproductions of the Dead Walk newspaper from the beginning of the movie that he had. I wanted to just give him a few bucks for it but he insisted he sign that, too. I stood there for a long time while he went through the process of starting and stopping the signature before he finally managed to scratch it out. It said, "To Bryan, Sit on i----" and then is followed by a length of scribbled lines and quote marks. At the bottom, he put his name. Whatever that top part was about, I don't know. I think he momentarily thought he was at a Happy Days con or something. Really funny guy, though. It could have been much worse than that.

The second runner up is my copy of the first Friday the 13th that Betsy Palmer signed. She sat alone at her table next to an equally lonely looking Irwin Keyes. It was like no one recognized her. I have a soft spot for slashers, particularly the Fridays so this was something I was looking forward to for a long time. She didn't disappoint in the slightest. Mrs. Voorhees was the ultimate grandmother. She signed the DVD, insisted that we take a photo on my friend's camera phone and gave us all a hug. We stood there and talked forever, too. She pointed out the cast of The Devil's Rejects and commented about how The Devils Rejects are such a nice bunch of people, particularly the bald one. She couldn't remember Sid Haig's name. She asked us if we saw and if we liked it, to which we replied yes on both parts. Then she asked if she should see it, because she hadn't. She reminded me of my own grandmother so I had a real hard time recommending the movie to her. We explained that it was pretty rough and she told us that she liked that sort of thing, so we said that she could probably find a copy on sale at one of the vendors selling DVDs. An hour later, while looking through some t-shirts, we spotted her asking the Poker Industries guys if they had the movie. All I could do was smile. Nicest lady ever.

My Texas Chainsaw 2 disc is signed by Bill Moseley and he's also up there on the list of best con encounters of all time. He knows how to play the fan circuit. When you go to these shows, you can tell who's in it for the money. The people who take the time to talk to fans and interact are the ones with the biggest lines. Bill's was one of those. He introduced himself to my wife, which I thought spoke volumes, since no one else seemed to notice she was there. The disc is is signed, "Bryan, Lick my plate you dog dick!"

Jeffrey Combs signed my Re-Animator disc and he was a total weirdo, but a harmless one. I really got a kick out of it. He took the paper label out of the case and ran his fingers over it. The only thing he said was "I've seen a lot of these lately. Yours is different. It's of a higher quality."

My Henry DVD is signed by Michael Rooker who always strikes me as a really big guy, but in fact he was very short. He always seemed stacked, but he was scrawny. He looked frail and old and seemed really drunk. He was there to push Slither, but when I took out the Henry disc, a UK region 2, all he could do was marvel at the design.

I've got a lot of signed discs, but those ones really stick out as my most valued. Others have signatures, but either don't mean much because there wasn't much of an encounter or worse, the encounter sucked. Howard Sherman, who played Bub in Day of the Dead didn't say a word. He gouged me for fifteen bucks, signed the disc and sent me on my way. I should have told him that he was great in that Aflac commercial.
[url=http://www.cinema-suicide.com]Cinema Suicide[/url]
[url=http://soundtracks.cinema-suicide.com]Soundtrack Apocalisse[/url]
Chris Slack

Post by Chris Slack »

My "Phantasm" laserdisc box set autographed by Don Coscarelli, Reggie Bannister and Angus Scrimm. Reggie is a hell of a nice guy and fun to drink with.

Jim Van Bebber signed promo tape, we partied pretty much non stop for two days at a Fango con in the early 90s. Very loud and obnoxious at times but fun to hang with.

VHS of "X, The Man with the X-Ray Eyes" autographed by Roger Corman who was very cordial and not charging for autographs.

Criterion DVDs of "The Killer," "Hard Boiled," and "Robocop."

Not horror or video related:
A basketball handled by Bill Russel who I had a nice talk with, however he does not do autographs. I happened to have the ball with me at the time I met him (I was going to shoot some hoops after work) and asked him to dribble it a few times.
"Regrettable... I was hoping for a colleague, but at least we have
another experimental subject..." -Mesa of Lost Women
dr coathanger

Post by dr coathanger »

The only "horror" (and, as you may be able to tell from the quotations, I'm using the term loosely) that I have autographed is a VHS copy of 'Maniac Cop' I got Bruce Cambell to sign when he was in town a few years back.

The true gems for me would probably be all the old John Waters flicks I have on VHS. 'Mondo Trasho', 'Multiple Maniacs' and 'Female Trouble' had been out of print for many years when I went on the hunt for them and through a combination of footwork and luck I was able to acquire them. Definitely my autographed 'Desperate living'. Hell, even the Double feature DVD sets are out of print now, so I'll include them too. They may not be the most rare movies I own, but the time involved to find them makes them more special. Not to sound like an old fart ('cause I'm not...yet) but I sometimes miss those halcyon pre-Ebay days when you really had to scour every dingy video store or sci/hooror/cult/ convention to find your various holy grails. It's too easy these days and takes a bit of the fun out.
Latte Thunder

Post by Latte Thunder »

Chris Slack wrote: Jim Van Bebber signed promo tape, we partied pretty much non stop for two days at a Fango con in the early 90s. Very loud and obnoxious at times but fun to hang with.
My impression of Van Bebber is that he's a really dark guy. The only things I know about him are his movies and his history with the law, so...

Then I saw this episode of the British show Shock Movie Massacre featuring a bit about him and Charlie's Family and the whole time he's drunk, really drunk and kind of funny. He spends the entire bit talking trash and trying to grab Emily Boothe's tits.
chemical boy

Post by chemical boy »

dr coathanger wrote:The only "horror" (and, as you may be able to tell from the quotations, I'm using the term loosely) that I have autographed is a VHS copy of 'Maniac Cop' I got Bruce Cambell to sign when he was in town a few years back.

The true gems for me would probably be all the old John Waters flicks I have on VHS. 'Mondo Trasho', 'Multiple Maniacs' and 'Female Trouble' had been out of print for many years when I went on the hunt for them and through a combination of footwork and luck I was able to acquire them. Definitely my autographed 'Desperate living'. Hell, even the Double feature DVD sets are out of print now, so I'll include them too. They may not be the most rare movies I own, but the time involved to find them makes them more special. Not to sound like an old fart ('cause I'm not...yet) but I sometimes miss those halcyon pre-Ebay days when you really had to scour every dingy video store or sci/hooror/cult/ convention to find your various holy grails. It's too easy these days and takes a bit of the fun out.
The bargain bin at Wal mart sometimes contains a few goodies at cheap prices for example I found friday the 13th part 2 hidden in there, but most times I look at the bargain bin and realize there in lies the crap and I will not waste my time.
And if I am looking for a specific film then I hit Suncoast or Blockbuster.
But I agree with Dr Coathanger in that to find a good horror flick it takes luck foot work and a prayer lol
C.B.
mickey brown-eye

Post by mickey brown-eye »

Dr. Caligari
Bloodbath at the House of Death
Psychos in Love
Student Bodies
Trash, I know. Rare trash with Heart and Spirit though...

My wife and I also have: Carnival of Souls, Plan 9 from Outerspace and Little shop of Horrors autographed and commentaried on by Mike Nelson of MST3K
:headshot: [font=Comic Sans MS][size=167][color=YellowGreen][b]chunks[/b][/color][/size][/font]
[url=http://www.myspace.com/httpwwwmyspacecommickeybrowneye]Mickey Brown-eye Myspace[/url]
[url=http://www.myspace.com/umbilicalparricide]Umbilical Parricide Myspace[/url]
mickey brown-eye

Post by mickey brown-eye »

dr coathanger wrote:The only "horror" (and, as you may be able to tell from the quotations, I'm using the term loosely) that I have autographed is a VHS copy of 'Maniac Cop' I got Bruce Cambell to sign when he was in town a few years back.
That is cool! Bruce Campbell is one of my movie heroes!!
:headshot: [font=Comic Sans MS][size=167][color=YellowGreen][b]chunks[/b][/color][/size][/font]
[url=http://www.myspace.com/httpwwwmyspacecommickeybrowneye]Mickey Brown-eye Myspace[/url]
[url=http://www.myspace.com/umbilicalparricide]Umbilical Parricide Myspace[/url]
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

I'm not much of an autograph hound but:

I have one of the signed Nekromantik discs back in the States.

Richard Cardella signed my copy of Crater Lake Monster when we interviewed him for Trashfiend, and also sent a signed poster which I now have. Unfortunately, the interview is still yet to be published.

As for CDs, if you peruse around the Gravemusic site, you'll see some of my interviews, which also have pics of the autographs that came afterwards. The NME one is really important to me now, as Kurt died a few months later.
[color=Yellow]11/26/65 - 3/9/05[/color]

[b]i miss nme666 and i approve this message.[/b]
Remo D

Post by Remo D »

Wow. That is a challenge. Let's dispense with the autographed items in my case--I do, indeed, have some certain autographs that I treasure, but they're all on posters or magazines--never on the videos themselves.

As SON OF FRANKENSTEIN remains my favorite horror film of all time, the Universal Legacy Collection--FRANKENSTEIN certainly defines me properly.

Other treasures include:

VAMPIRE CIRCUS on laserdisc--there is STILL no domestic DVD! I believe the same holds true for the widescreen WILD, WILD PLANET?

THE HOWLING on laserdisc--contains some bonus material that didn't make it to the DVD

THE WICKER MAN--the original--in the wooden box

The Criterion VIDEODROME

Paul Naschy's ROJO SANGRE

And near and dear to me--basically because I got to kick some ass writing a huge article about them: The BLOOD COLLECTION (BRIDES OF BLOOD, etc: Filipino horror) from Image Entertainment.

I'm sure I could come up with more, but that's what comes to mind at first asking!
My dog's breath smells like peanut butter...

...and I don't even have a dog!
MrFulci

Post by MrFulci »

The msot recent surprise I had was Death Wish Club (Carnival of Fools). Awesome little movie. A unique film, hahaha. Good stuff. Not exactly a gem, but surprises can be just as fun.

THE gem for me would be, "The Pit". After I first saw it on telvision, it took YEARS for me to locate a copy. Reason being, that I COULDN"T REMEMBER THE TITLE!

Mid 90's, I saw the tape box at a video store "out of business" sale, I flipped over the box cover, read the description, looked at the screen capture, and knew it was the film.

Another gem, similar situation to "The Pit" was "Sword of the Valiant".... hahah, it's not horror, but it wasn't something I saw on TV and could not locate! Early 90's I had to rely on books and catalogs to locate movie information. I knew the movie starred Sean Connery. After looking over a list of his movies, I noticed Sword of the Valiant! Knowing the title helped, however it was not in print (DVD was not available yet). About ten years later, I was lookign through some DVD's and noticed it had been released onto DVD! The movie is a bit warped, oddly watchable. Silly stuff.
Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your penis out when you're cooking.
chemical boy

Post by chemical boy »

Remo D wrote:Wow. That is a challenge. Let's dispense with the autographed items in my case--I do, indeed, have some certain autographs that I treasure, but they're all on posters or magazines--never on the videos themselves.

As SON OF FRANKENSTEIN remains my favorite horror film of all time, the Universal Legacy Collection--FRANKENSTEIN certainly defines me properly.

Other treasures include:

VAMPIRE CIRCUS on laserdisc--there is STILL no domestic DVD! I believe the same holds true for the widescreen WILD, WILD PLANET?

THE HOWLING on laserdisc--contains some bonus material that didn't make it to the DVD

THE WICKER MAN--the original--in the wooden box

The Criterion VIDEODROME

Paul Naschy's ROJO SANGRE

And near and dear to me--basically because I got to kick some ass writing a huge article about them: The BLOOD COLLECTION (BRIDES OF BLOOD, etc: Filipino horror) from Image Entertainment.

I'm sure I could come up with more, but that's what comes to mind at first asking!
This brides of blood series can I get some details it sounds awsome is it rare?
or can I find it at any video store?
anyways some details would be nice
C.B
chemical boy

Post by chemical boy »

Ok Slither, loved it watched it twice in 48 hrs
rare for me usually I watch the film wait a few weeks till the horror jones kicks in then watch it again.
But Slither, I had to watch it twice real good!
C.B.
Latte Thunder

Post by Latte Thunder »

Remo D wrote:The Criterion VIDEODROME
I have that, too. It's a sweet set. I've also got the Criterion Fear and Loathing. It's a must-own.

I've got a boot of the Criterion Robocop. I'd love to own the original, but it fetches quite a bit on Ebay. The other two John Woo's that Chris has are also pretty valuable. edit: Just checked. Apparently they're not that expensive. The Woo's tend to get Bootlegged like crazy, though.
DylanDog

Post by DylanDog »

I don't really have anything rare or signed, but there are definitely some discs in my collection that I just couldn't live without or that I like because they represent me pretty well. I've mentioned the Monsters Crash The Pajama Party Spookshow Spectacular in the past so that would be one. Others are the Val Lewton box set, Universal Monster Legacy Box set, the Criterion The Blob, the Coffin Joe stuff, my japanese Wild Zero dvd, Luther the Geek, Daughter of Darkness, etc... Also, until it's released on dvd, Blood And Donuts remains my only VHS tape not in storage.
"This must be settled the way nature intended...with a vicious, bloody fight!!"
Onyx Blackman
Principal
Flatpoint High
[url=http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Nekrodave&type=A]DVDS[/url]
[url=http://www.collectiondx.com/gallery/Collections/Nekrodave/]TOYS[/url]
[url=http://www.myspace.com/nekrodave]MySpace[/url]
dr coathanger

Post by dr coathanger »

chemical boy wrote: But I agree with Dr Coathanger in that to find a good horror flick it takes luck foot work and a prayer lol
C.B.
Used to be the case, C.B. Nowadays all you need is an ebay account. "Good horror"? I have no idea where to find that. A few years ago I would have said Japan, but now I have too much hair clogging up my drain, so to speak.
dr coathanger

As in raccoon, you racist fuckers

Post by dr coathanger »

DylanDog wrote: Also, until it's released on dvd, Blood And Donuts remains my only VHS tape not in storage.
Wow! I haven't thought about that movie in a ****'s age. Good one!
Remo D

Post by Remo D »

chemical boy wrote:This brides of blood series can I get some details it sounds awsome is it rare?
or can I find it at any video store?
anyways some details would be nice
C.B
The "Blood Collection" encompasses six films released in the U.S. by Hemisphere Productions under the auspices of exploitation producer/distributor extroadinaire Samuel L. Sherman (all six films are now owned by Sherman's Independent-International Pictures).

The collection starts off with "The Blood Drinkers" (TV title: THE VAMPIRE PEOPLE)--a Filipino horror/vampire/God vs. Satan deal--but Sherman has unearthed the most complete and color-corrected copy available, along with plentiful deleted footage and other bonuses.

Then we get the crown jewels known as the "Blood Island Trilogy"--John Ashley against radioactive mutants and the one and only Chlorophyll Man in BRIDES OF BLOOD, MAD DOCTOR OF BLOOD ISLAND and BEAST OF BLOOD.

Up next--Al Adamson (DRACULA VS. FRANKENSTEIN) created an unofficial companion piece that many people thought really was a Filipino film--BRAIN OF BLOOD.

And finally, BLOOD OF THE VAMPIRES (originally CURSE OF THE VAMPIRES) bookends the set with a film that--while not actually last in original sequence--is the perfect choice to wind things down.

The beauty part of the entire collection is the audio commentary from Sam Sherman--if you listen to all six discs in sequence, you get the definitive history of Hemisphere and so much more. Image Entertainment really did fans a favor by pulling out all the stops for this collection--no matter how "cheesy" we might call the individual movies, this is one of the most generous gestures ever offered to the horror-fan public.

Remo D.

gothbat

Post by gothbat »

I’m surprised that there are not more responses that include old and out of print VHS. This board is what got me started collecting things like that back in the day and I remember always reading about peoples scores from the bargain bins at their local Mom and Pop video stores (back when things like that existed and bargain bins had stuff that was worthwhile in them…), I guess a lot of those people are gone now or have sold off their tapes before they became too damaged by gravity and the gradual loss of the tapes magnetic properties.

Anyway, my favorites include my Thriller Video VHS release of Buried Alive. I got this signed by Joe D’Amato when I met him at a con a few months before he died. Another gem I have is a Japanese laserdisc of The Beyond. The cool thing about this (aside from the awesome cover that I may someday frame) is that when I first saw The Beyond the dub I got was probably from this edition, it is uncut and has embedded Japanese subs. I believe the only domestic releases of that movie back then were the Thriller Video and the LD Video releases which they cut and titled 7 Doors to Death (my favorite Thriller Video box by far!).

Also worth noting are autographs from Cassandra Peterson (Elvira) and Jorge Buttgereit.
/\../\

"Come on, let's pay our fuckin' respects!" - Suicide (Return of the Living Dead)
MrFulci

Post by MrFulci »

gothbat,

Yeah, finds at "out of business" sales, bargain bins, trades, etc used to be great. I found a lot of good stuff that way, for a reasonable price.

I had lots of fun with VHS, the hunt for tapes, looking for out of print tapes, out of business sales, etc. However things have for the most part, changed for the better.

Laser Disc I never got into, it was always priced too far out of my range, however I do recall the fun of looking at the sleeves and such. Still, it was priced too far out of my range at the time. $50-$90 a Disc.... I'm glad that's no longer the case with DVD!

Funny thing, thinking about laser disc and it's cost, is how sometimes folks who are not familiar with laser disc, have difficulty grasping what Laser Disc used to cost. VHS was similar for a while, up until DVD was popular it still was that way for the most part (Rental window, pay-per-view window, sell-through window).

I enjoy DVD, in that most things are pretty cheap compared to what they used to be and so many previously difficult to find films are now available. Quality is generally better, also. The most expensive DVD's (not including box sets) I've ever purchased are $50. I think I only have 2 of those.
Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your penis out when you're cooking.
gothbat

Post by gothbat »

Yeah, things have gotten better in terms of quality. The picture and sound are potentially better on DVD and the DVD is less destructible since it has no moving parts. On the other hand, imo, no DVD case I’ve ever seen has ever come close to capturing the charm that an old VHS tape, complete with video store labels, in a somewhat dented, oversized box with rough edges possesses. With a few exceptions, DVD just doesn’t have the character that VHS had. Then again, once you get the movie on I guess the format doesn’t really matter provided the copy is watchable.
It’s odd that the days of hunting these tapes are for the most part over, one would think that they are just beginning with most video stores dumping their VHS stock but there seems to be significantly less on ebay and the only stock that stores that sell used VHS by me are getting in is the porn they sell in the back. I guess maybe most stores throw them away or something but I like to imagine there is a whole warehouse full of them waiting for me. Every now and then the stack shifts or settles and a copy of Frankenhooker propositions an empty room for a date… I still look for this stuff. :)
/\../\

"Come on, let's pay our fuckin' respects!" - Suicide (Return of the Living Dead)
chemical boy

Post by chemical boy »

DAMN ME DAMN!
I was in Oahu this weekend I had the blood series in my hand! But I wasn't sure it was what I wanted Damn me!
If I had the internet at home I could have checked this an had the whole series right now!
Now I'm gonna have to wait 4 fucking months before I go back to oahu and sam goody's
This Island sucks!
ok ok it wasn't a total bust I finally got Hellraiser 2 Hellbound now I must have Hellraiser 3
I love the Hellraiser collection
so D you got any ideas where I can get the 3rd film without having to jump on a plane and fly to a different island?
and once again Damn me!
*Bangs head against the wall*
C.B.
chemical boy

Post by chemical boy »

gothbat wrote:Yeah, things have gotten better in terms of quality. The picture and sound are potentially better on DVD and the DVD is less destructible since it has no moving parts. On the other hand, imo, no DVD case I’ve ever seen has ever come close to capturing the charm that an old VHS tape, complete with video store labels, in a somewhat dented, oversized box with rough edges possesses. With a few exceptions, DVD just doesn’t have the character that VHS had. Then again, once you get the movie on I guess the format doesn’t really matter provided the copy is watchable.
It’s odd that the days of hunting these tapes are for the most part over, one would think that they are just beginning with most video stores dumping their VHS stock but there seems to be significantly less on ebay and the only stock that stores that sell used VHS by me are getting in is the porn they sell in the back. I guess maybe most stores throw them away or something but I like to imagine there is a whole warehouse full of them waiting for me. Every now and then the stack shifts or settles and a copy of Frankenhooker propositions an empty room for a date… I still look for this stuff. :)

I disagree goth...DVD does have one drawback scratches so you can't leave em out of the case somthing I do sometimes
bad habbit but it does happen
C.B.
Remo D

Post by Remo D »

chemical boy wrote:DAMN ME DAMN!
I was in Oahu this weekend I had the blood series in my hand! But I wasn't sure it was what I wanted Damn me!
If I had the internet at home I could have checked this an had the whole series right now!
Now I'm gonna have to wait 4 fucking months before I go back to oahu and sam goody's
This Island sucks!
ok ok it wasn't a total bust I finally got Hellraiser 2 Hellbound now I must have Hellraiser 3
I love the Hellraiser collection
so D you got any ideas where I can get the 3rd film without having to jump on a plane and fly to a different island?
and once again Damn me!
*Bangs head against the wall*
C.B.
I couldn't honestly tell you what the island would have and not have, but what I can tell you is that HELLRAISER 3: HELL ON EARTH was the last film in the series to finally squeak out on DVD, and it's a fairly recent release, so you ought not to have much trouble finding it. Let me know how it goes...

chemical boy

Post by chemical boy »

not a problem I get paid on Friday so..horror time!
maybe suncoast will have it

cross your figures guys
C.B.