PS3 or 360?

This forum is for discussion of console and PC games.

Moderator: Chris Slack

Vocaltremors

Post by Vocaltremors »

Ok, let's get one thing straight, I don't hate Bill Gates himself, per say, because I don't personally know the man. As for his company's ethics, which start with him because he is the founder of the company, I personally see as questionable. Hence the reason the EU and the Justice Department have gone after Microsoft. Like you said, he employs 60,000. Ok, how many thousands has he unemployed because his competitors were not allowed to play on the same playing field as MS. I'm all for competition in a free market trade environment, but at least play nice in the sandbox.
Insane Wayne

Post by Insane Wayne »

Okay I'll chime in

I own all 3 next gen systems. Each of them have their strengths and weakneses.

360 has a good lineup of games and shows no signs of slowing down, but I had mine brick (3 lights of death.) At least they repair the thing. My only beef with Live is the pricey microtransactions. What they are missing is the HD-DVD built in; they would have had some good sized storage for games on that format but that's just a minor gripe Oh and let's not forget Halo 3. We have the running joke at work of calling it the Xbox 747 because of the noise it gives off. Still it's a solid gaming machine and MS has some deep pockets to nab some quality gaming content for their system.

PS3 while being slow out of the gate, shows quite a bit of potential with their upcoming lineup (Heavenly Sword, Lair, MGS4 [yes still exclusive], etc.) but the system is pricey; people are anticipating a price drop to stay competitive (65nm processor, diodes are being cheaper to make, it looks like that could be a reality) The PSN is nothing to brag about at the moment, but Home is coming in fall and it does look cool and the downloadable games are fun (next week, you'll be able to download PS1 classics and play them on you PS3, no PSP needed). Another thing that's holding Sony back is the lack of a killer app like MS. They need to have one and soon; maybe one of the summer's releases will be it.

The Wii (I know, we're not talking about it, but I figure it does fit into the discussion) is definately a fun system. It's nice to throw Wii parties and all, but it is a little gimmicky. Don't get me wrong there are some good games for it, and more to come (Zelda, Super Paper Mario, Wii Play are already out, Mario Galaxy and Pokemon still to come.....Satan help us all/)

If you have to pick a system, pick the one that you think suits you best. Eventually have all 3 is my thought.
EFFLUVIA
MySpace: [url]http://www.myspace.com/effluviawa[/url]
The MySpace is UPDATED!!!! AT LAST
Vocaltremors

Post by Vocaltremors »

Thanks Wayne for your insight. Also, great way to get us back on topic. Thanks for letting me know about the noise level from the 360. My gaming setup is in the bedroom, so QUIET late night playtime while the wife sleeps is important.
Not That Steve Harris

Post by Not That Steve Harris »

A buddy of mine bought a 360 and, I have to say, so far I'm not impressed. We don't do the war games or adventure stuff, we are team sports and racing nuts. The hockey seems a bit glitchy and the moto-gt 4 does not have the level of display controls I like. The graphics are great, but my over all enjoyment of the game play is less than what I get from a PS2. Guess I'll take a look at the PS3.
It's not the numbers of strings you play that counts....It's the GIRTH.

Bass players make the booty wiggle and the titties giggle.
Chris Slack

Post by Chris Slack »

Did your friend get the EA hockey game? If so I strongly recommend NHL 2K7 instead. What exactly didn't you like about Moto GP 2006? I fucking love the game although it can be a bit difficult. Give it another month before making a decision as by that time Forza 2 will be out which looks to be the single greatest console racing sim EVER.
"Regrettable... I was hoping for a colleague, but at least we have
another experimental subject..." -Mesa of Lost Women
ZXRO

Word!..

Post by ZXRO »

Forza 2!!! I can't effing wait! WOO!!!
[color=DarkRed][i]"Oh James, I am getting away with murder and you're just jealous" -Michael Alig[/i][/color]

[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/ZxRO+MBM][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/recessed/plate/ZxRO+MBM.png[/img][/url]
Adremelech

Post by Adremelech »

4G wrote:It really comes down to which console maker you like Microsoft or Sony. The one thing I don't get is the Evil Empire label people give Microsoft when Sony is worse for a lot or reasons.
Agreed. I am not a fan of certain aspects of Microsoft, but I sure as hell never jumped on the bandwagon of people who rip on the entire company. Although they have produced a lot of fertilizer, Microsoft does in fact make some great technology too.

Here is Maddox's take on Sony
. It's a good read!
[color=#000000][font=dotum][b][size=100][color=Yellow]
[/color][/size][/b][/font][/color]
Vocaltremors

Post by Vocaltremors »

Chris Slack wrote:Did your friend get the EA hockey game? If so I strongly recommend NHL 2K7 instead. What exactly didn't you like about Moto GP 2006? I fucking love the game although it can be a bit difficult. Give it another month before making a decision as by that time Forza 2 will be out which looks to be the single greatest console racing sim EVER.
Of course it will, that is until Gran Turismo HD comes out....
Chris Slack

Post by Chris Slack »

Vocaltremors wrote:Of course it will, that is until Gran Turismo HD comes out....
With no damage model and AI cars that run rails without any regard to the position of other cars?
eDonovan

Post by eDonovan »

First of all, hey Steve, whats up!?

Secondly... I own an XBOX360. I've had it for a good while now, and I'm rather happy with the experience. I think we're encountering a situation where the graphics are better, but the games aren't necessarily better. I think if you're just in it for the gaming, a 360 is a better choice. If you're in it for community, and you're a hardcore gamer, you may want to go with the PS3. As far as Blu-ray/HD DVD, just wait for dual-format players is my honest opinion.
Bam! Fruit Cocktail!
[url]http://www.donovancomic.com[/url]
ZXRO

Word...

Post by ZXRO »

Chris Slack wrote:With no damage model and AI cars that run rails without any regard to the position of other cars?
Yeah, totally. Some people are still way into GT, even though I thought the first Forza game blew away all other racing sims. The livery editor alone makes it more robust than anything else on the market.

Sent off my 360 to Texas for repair yesterday. Hopefully it's get back soon. I need to enjoy the new DLC for Crackdown as well as the Forza 2 demo, and maybe a little Halo 3 beta action. My tv stand looks so empty, the spot where the 360 was is just a gap with some cables. :(
[color=DarkRed][i]"Oh James, I am getting away with murder and you're just jealous" -Michael Alig[/i][/color]

[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/ZxRO+MBM][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/recessed/plate/ZxRO+MBM.png[/img][/url]
skankdrummer

Post by skankdrummer »

FORZA 5 more days !!! Whooo Hoooo I pre bought this back in December lol
[url]http://www.myspace.com/skankdrummersdemos[/url]
DRUMS - Motley Ju.

Availible for Studio Work.
Chris Slack

Post by Chris Slack »

skankdrummer wrote:FORZA 5 more days !!! Whooo Hoooo I pre bought this back in December lol

Actually the ship date is the 29th...
skankdrummer

Post by skankdrummer »

Chris Slack wrote:Actually the ship date is the 29th...
I called EB alderwood and they said they would have it on the 29th... Keeps fingers crossed..
DRUMS - Motley Ju.

Chris Slack

Post by Chris Slack »

skankdrummer wrote:I called EB alderwood and they said they would have it on the 29th... Keeps fingers crossed..

It's still not 5 days :)
skankdrummer

Post by skankdrummer »

Chris Slack wrote:It's still not 5 days :)
Thanks :( Ive been patiently waiting since November for this game. Ok 6 days :)

Ill keep playing testdrive unlimted for now.
DRUMS - Motley Ju.

Chris Slack

Post by Chris Slack »

skankdrummer wrote:Thanks :( Ive been patiently waiting since November for this game. Ok 6 days :)

Ill keep playing testdrive unlimted for now.

12 days. Testdrive Unlimited is pretty damned fun :)
skankdrummer

Post by skankdrummer »

Chris Slack wrote:12 days. Testdrive Unlimited is pretty damned fun :)
hellyeah TDU is fun. :) i guess it really is 12 days lol
DRUMS - Motley Ju.

eDonovan

Post by eDonovan »

Errrm. My Xbobx360 just died. And its gonna be a month or so before I get it back. Nothing like a $400 paperweight. And a week before Forza 2. I'll be damned.
Bam! Fruit Cocktail!
[url]http://www.donovancomic.com[/url]
Chris Slack

Post by Chris Slack »

eDonovan wrote:Errrm. My Xbobx360 just died. And its gonna be a month or so before I get it back. Nothing like a $400 paperweight. And a week before Forza 2. I'll be damned.

When mine died I bought one from Costco and returned it when I got mine back from the repair center. They have a great return policy :)