The Golden Compass-most amazing movie no one is watching!

As in not off. If you want to post about mainstream flicks, this is the forum.

Moderator: Chris Slack

RockMyMonkey

The Golden Compass-most amazing movie no one is watching!

Post by RockMyMonkey »

Me and Sherri just got back and that had to be one of the best fucking fantasy movies I have ever seen. Absolutely amazing.

Did anyone notice that a gay guy plays a bear? Am I the only one who found that to be an entertaining (and unintentional) coincidence?

He of course had the perfect voice for that and only maybe Sean Connery could have pulled it off as well. I just find that connection to be kind of funny. :shrug

Seriously though. This is a must see. The bible thumpers are all pissed off about it, so it has to be good...and it is!
All new RockMyMonkey.com Feb 1st 2008!

If your band isn't on [url=http://twitter.com/MarkCarras]Twitter[/url] then you fail at life!
AchimbaProphet

Post by AchimbaProphet »

I liked it. I thought that it was entertaining. The movie was really quite tame. I can not say that I understand what the religious conservatives think but I definitely do not understand why this particular movie is so unwholesome.
"These gangs of bandits have sought to darken the light of the world" - Winston Churchill
Evil Red

Post by Evil Red »

RockMyMonkey wrote:Me and Sherri just got back and that had to be one of the best fucking fantasy movies I have ever seen. Absolutely amazing.

Did anyone notice that a gay guy plays a bear? Am I the only one who found that to be an entertaining (and unintentional) coincidence?

He of course had the perfect voice for that and only maybe Sean Connery could have pulled it off as well. I just find that connection to be kind of funny. :shrug

Seriously though. This is a must see. The bible thumpers are all pissed off about it, so it has to be good...and it is!

Did you already forget? ;)

http://mortado.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52459

As for the Ian McKellen's reference, yeah... that actually DID cross my mind and I thought if anything, most of the people bitching would bring up his lifestyle. God, I love that guy! He's absolutely one of my favorite actors! :D

Really good movie and probablly great fucking books. I plan to pick them up soon, actually.
I made the Devil do it.
Remo D

Post by Remo D »

AchimbaProphet wrote:I liked it. I thought that it was entertaining. The movie was really quite tame. I can not say that I understand what the religious conservatives think but I definitely do not understand why this particular movie is so unwholesome.
It's not "this movie" so much as the "His Dark Materials" trilogy of books which goes on to build up quite the anti-Church, anti-fundamentalist allegory. Were they ever to film the third book, this tempest teapot would be nothing by comparison. Or so I've heard.

In all honesty, I've been told "skip the movie and read the books instead" (this from fans of the books who have no moral problems regarding the movie), but from what I'm reading here, I'm more interested than I was before...
My dog's breath smells like peanut butter...

...and I don't even have a dog!
RockMyMonkey

Post by RockMyMonkey »

Evil Red wrote:Did you already forget? ;)

http://mortado.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52459

As for the Ian McKellen's reference, yeah... that actually DID cross my mind and I thought if anything, most of the people bitching would bring up his lifestyle. God, I love that guy! He's absolutely one of my favorite actors! :D

Really good movie and probably great fucking books. I plan to pick them up soon, actually.
No, I didn't forget. That was more about the "controversy" then the movie it's self. I wanted to just bring up that the movie it's self was awesome and should not be missed...even if you don't care about the controversy either way.

Yes, Ian McKellen just plain rules. I just found it funny that a gay guy who is not a "bear" is playing a bear. :D

Remo: Thanks for the extra info. I totally didn't know that. If I have time I might have to check those books out. They sound totally up my alley. :cheers:
All new RockMyMonkey.com Feb 1st 2008!

If your band isn't on [url=http://twitter.com/MarkCarras]Twitter[/url] then you fail at life!
Project Undead Vish

Post by Project Undead Vish »

im going to have to check this flick out as well as the books. Ian McKellen is one of my favorite actors as well and i didnt even know he was in it. i'll watch anything with him in it, so i must check this out soon.
Hate the religion and pity the believer.
[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a50/VishDonkeyPunch/thlohanboobies.gif[/img]