PAL to NTSC + Codefree DVD ???

The Horrornews forum has been around for years. This is where the wealth of information shared by our community over the years can be read.
AchimbaProphet

PAL to NTSC + Codefree DVD ???

Post by AchimbaProphet »

Does anyone have a working standalone player they would recommend or any experience with this?

Many of the DVDs that I want such as Red Dwarf, Futurama, and Family Guy are all being released in the UK (Region 2, PAL). Fucking movie industry. I must have them though.

I have been doing research and it seems like I have a few options:
1) Buy a Region 2 DVD player and a PAL TV
2) Buy a Region 2 DVD player and a PAL to NTSC converter
3) Buy a region free DVD player which includes the converter
4) Fuck my entertainment system and add another DVD player and another DVD decoder card to the computer.

Advice? Horror stories? Anyone?
"These gangs of bandits have sought to darken the light of the world" - Winston Churchill
gothbat

Post by gothbat »

I bought a new/modified Daewoo player from someone on ebay for about $150. I've had it for almost a year with no problems yet. Well worth it in my opinion, it was so cheap I figured it might break pretty quick but it still works and I use it alot.
/\../\

"Come on, let's pay our fuckin' respects!" - Suicide (Return of the Living Dead)
AchimbaProphet

Post by AchimbaProphet »

Is it the Daewoo DVG-3000N model? I know of that player and the Sampo DVE-612. I couldn't find any customer feedback type info on the net for these machines that I didn't suspect was contrived. Thanks for the response and the endorsement. I'll pick one of those up. So presumably you bought one that has already has had the firmware hack applied. I found a place selling this machine for $89.99 (without the hack). I suppose that's the way to go.
"These gangs of bandits have sought to darken the light of the world" - Winston Churchill
ROBERT

Free region players

Post by ROBERT »

First, welcome to the murky waters of the free region players domain. If you want a multi region player with a PAL to NTSC converter built in you have about four choices, that I know of. But,first ALL players can be rendered free region, with a hack, but only a few have the converter built in. (the actual chip,mediamatics,ZoronVss can be PAL compatible)Keep in mind that they're are virtually two dozen or so multi region players currently on the market,hacked and native free region.

Now to the four choices, First are the rivals, the JVC xv 500(or 502) and the Malata N996(or pv 5200. The JVC and the Malata share the same chipset(Mediamatics) and about 90% of the components. Both can effect Pal to NTSC conversion in PROPER aspect ratios well. The Malata N996 is a litlle better in this regard. Both have they're faults and strong points. The JVC is more user friendly has fewer menus. The Malata has more menus which have to navigate,has one strong extra feature which is X-Y scaling.

The other two are the New Jaton from Thailand! This actually has the same chipset,and is supposed to have the user friendliness of the JVC. PAL to NTSC conversion from the very few people who have reported on it say it's very good, but that it's construction is worse than the cheapest Sampo or Apex.

Speaking of which comes the most inexpensive free region play, the Apex 1200. The 1200, with the Zoron processor and a hack can actually(so it's reported)convert Pal to NTSC in it's correct aspect ratio.(through some sort of hidden 16:9 feature) Unfortunately Apex has replaced the Zoron processor with on that's not PAL compatible. However you might be able to find an older model with that processor. Hell, with the $60.00 price tag, it would be a good deal. Go here for further info, http://www.Nerd-out.com
"I don't want to be called an "artist." "Acting like an "artist" is synonymous to acting like an asshole."

Asia Argento
AchimbaProphet

Post by AchimbaProphet »

Hails to you friend. I'm on it.
ROBERT

Region Free

Post by ROBERT »

No problem. Anymore questions, post away.
"I don't want to be called an "artist." "Acting like an "artist" is synonymous to acting like an asshole."

Asia Argento