Interesting article about Twitter & the music industry.

Forum for Seattle Bands, Musicians and Fans. This forum is genre agnostic so all music types are welcome.

Moderators: Chris Slack, Adremelech, Seattle Metal Online, AchimbaProphet, Desert Mermaid

RockMyMonkey

Interesting article about Twitter & the music industry.

Post by RockMyMonkey »

http://jonathandeamer.com/2008/11/30/tw ... -industry/

This is just the TEXT of the article. Click the link for the full featured version.

I’ve long been a fan of Twitter, but recently have begun to use it in a semi-serious way professionally to follow what goes on in the music and media industry (rather than simply tweeting what I’m having for lunch!). Since doing this, I’ve been meaning to write a brief post on my tumblelog about some interesting music-types to follow on Twitter.

Earlier today, however, TwiTip, the blog that sets out to provide “Twitter tips in 140 characters or more”, set a challenge to construct your own ‘Top 10 Must Follow’ list related to your own “niche” or area of interest. Never one to turn down a challenge, I thought I’d take the opportunity to write a slightly longer post on this topic, especially after Twitter user @qburns left a comment on the original TwiTip post:

“I’d love it if someone could help make a list of people to follow for discussions about the music industry and digital/new media strategies as they apply to music”.

The comment went on to mention a handful of music business tweeters, but here (in no particular order) are my own favourite ones. Probably a bit of a UK bias, and not necessarily the most popular or most powerful, but the ones I most enjoy hearing from!

1. @Mark_Mulligan
Bio: “Vice President and Research Director with Forrester Research”

2. @mr_trick
Bio: “By Day: Internet & Music person @ Large Corporate Brand™… By Night: Radio DJ, Webhead and infrequent Producer person.”

3. @anthonyherron
Bio: “Muso, workaholic, label owner, app developer based in Birmingham UK”

4. @carlcorp
Bio: “The art of language and the language of art. The music of business and the business of music. Sleeveface.”

5. @artistshouse
Bio: “Helping Musicians and Music Entrepreneurs Create Sustainable Careers”

6. @dubber
Bio: “Music and Online Media”

7. @seaninsound
Bio: “Drowned in Sound“

8. @jonthebeef
Bio: “MP3 Blogger, DJ and Online Marketing bod.”

9. @MyChemToilet
Bio: “Shiny Media’s music blog - flush with musical goodness, festival frivolity and video viralosity”

10. @gleonhard
Bio: “Media Futurist, Author, Keynote Speaker & Presenter, Strategy Advisor, Blogger, Idea Curator, Musician…”

Plus some honourable mentions to: @coolfer, @creativecommons, @whatevrnvrmind, @cshirky, @fascinated and @choochootheband, who may only be one of the many bands starting to use Twitter, but are using it better than most bands I’ve seen. Their tweets are frequent, interesting, friendly, and not too self-promoting or only of interest to die-hard fans.

And don’t forget to follow me (@JonathanDeamer) for updates on digital music stuff (publishing, marketing), tunes I’m digging, and plenty o’ links. ;-)

I’m sure I’ve missed out some cool people; let me know in the comments. And do you tweet about music yourself? Say so!
All new RockMyMonkey.com Feb 1st 2008!

If your band isn't on [url=http://twitter.com/MarkCarras]Twitter[/url] then you fail at life!