Annual health question thread (Multiple Sclerosis)

Anything that doesn't fit into the subject of other forums goes here. Guns, drugs, religion, politics whatever. No flames!

Moderator: Chris Slack

Jonathan

Annual health question thread (Multiple Sclerosis)

Post by Jonathan »

The little bit I've asked around, I've been surprised to find that many people know of others, or have themselves, Multiple Sclerosis. I have no idea about this disease, other than what I've been told the last week or so and what I've read up on, in that time. But that stuff is textbook shit, most likely written by doctors influenced by drug companies.

For anyone on here that may have it, or know someone pretty well that has it...
My questions are these:

1. Are there naturopathic medicines and therapies that work? (in some degree or another)

2. The side effects of MS drugs that I've read about, are fucking scary. For the people on these drugs, how does it affect the quality of life?

Any input is much appreciated.
Take a picture, trick. I'm on a boat, bitch.
-deathboy-

Post by -deathboy- »

i'll point the gorewhore your direction after work (she's really freakin busy today). her mom has had it since the mid/late 80's. she may be able to answer some of your questions!
:cheers:
[align=center][font="Comic Sans MS"]
[color=red]G[/color]ore [color=red]O[/color]bsessed [color=red]L[/color]ittle [color=red]F[/color]reak
[/font]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/-deathboy-/bloodbar4gr.gif[/img][/align]
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

-deathboy- wrote:i'll point the gorewhore your direction after work (she's really freakin busy today). her mom has had it since the mid/late 80's. she may be able to answer some of your questions!
:cheers:
that would be awesome. Even if it's a book or two that I can pick up to learn more about it, would be helpfull. Especially anything alternative medicine-like.
Gore Whore

Post by Gore Whore »

Jonathan wrote:that would be awesome. Even if it's a book or two that I can pick up to learn more about it, would be helpfull. Especially anything alternative medicine-like.

My mom was diagnosed in 1980 after months of being told that she was a nut job. Once they figured out that it was MS they put her on mega high doses of Prednisone. It seems to be the mainstay for treatment of auto-immune diseases. At the time of her diagnosis she was numb from her breastbone down to her toes, after several weeks of the steroids the inflammation went down and she got the feeling back in her body. She doesn't have as much strength but she does alright. The docs told her she would be in a wheelchair within 5 years. It's been almost 30 years and the old lady is still walking just like she did back then. She does get tired more easily but she manages. She has been through a couple of expreimental treatments but they didn't really do anything but make her sick. She finally said enough and said no more drugs. She doesn't take anything on a regular basis anymore. It is more about diet, exercise and healthy mental status that keeps her up and active. She refuses to give into the disease and just tells herself that she can beat it. I would check the MS Society, that's where we got a lot of our info back in the day. I will send more info as I can, right now I have to get back to work..
What, are you gonna fuck me when I'm when dead?

[b]Turns out sex is messy[/b]. After good sex? Whew... all sorts of sticky funk goin' on. Girly fluids and cherry flavored love lube and spermicide and semen and saliva all over everything. It's like a rape kit exploded or something equally insane. Reeks like sweat and latex and lust. Damn, gettin' kinda turned on here.
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

That's helpful. Thank you Erin.
Just got off the phone with my friend and, indeed, the doc diagnosed her with MS today. She's going to get a second opinion over at U.C. San Francisco.

She's in extremely good physical shape, snowboards and rock climbs every other day. She's sound mentally, a biologist in the Sierras. Almost 33 years old. And pretty much the most important person in my life for the last almost 20 years.

She's determined to not let this get the better of her. So that's good. But I'd like to arm myself with as much knowledge about this as possible. Not just conventional medicine but other forms of therapies and treatments. The daily yoga and weekly physical therapy seems to help quite a bit for the pain.
-deathboy-

Post by -deathboy- »

i really need to look into some of that naturalistic and holistic type of treatment for my sarcoid. nothin else is doin jack squat for the past 5 years. maybe thousands of years of natural knowledge might help...
[align=center][font="Comic Sans MS"]
[color=red]G[/color]ore [color=red]O[/color]bsessed [color=red]L[/color]ittle [color=red]F[/color]reak
[/font]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/-deathboy-/bloodbar4gr.gif[/img][/align]
pimp_randy_mack

Post by pimp_randy_mack »

I am sorry to hear that about your friend Jonathan. I wish her the best of luck.
[img]http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Station/9622/img69.jpg[/img]
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

I appreciate it.
And Chris, it couldn't hurt to find what's out there.