Apollo 18

Horrornews is a discussion forum for true horror fans to discuss the more obscure areas of the horror/cult/exploitation film genre as well as current theatrical horror.

Moderator: Chris Slack

Remo D

Apollo 18

Post by Remo D » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:04 pm

Well, I'm glad I finally caught up with this one. You may have heard of it, and you may have heard about the delay in its release (typical Weinstein/Dimension).

It seems that the Apollo moon landings did NOT end with Apollo 17 in the 1970s. You just weren't supposed to KNOW about Apollo 18. Now, we've got ourselves a new CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST/BLAIR WITCH "found footage" documentary (though exactly how this footage was recovered, we're never told--you're invited to go to www.lunartruth.com to learn more).

What can I say about the plot? It's immediately post-Watergate. Astronauts Anderson, Walker and Gray are invited to participate in a secret moon landing (though only two of them get to walk on the moon). Bad things happen. And there are cameras EVERYWHERE. Why?

Why, indeed? Two reasons. First: check the first part of that set-up. It's right after Watergate as we get ready for another Cold War. Whaddya mean, the Russians got there and didn't tell us? There's no sign of the Apollo/Soyuz "handshake in space" cooperation mission (hey, I'm old enough to remember Neil Armstrong himself making that one small step, and my uncle worked for NASA all along, so I've always been fascinated by the space program)--what could our government be hiding? Oh, this is no retro-paranoia movie, make no mistake... APOLLO 18 belongs on a double bill with BURIED. If you've seen either one, you'll know just what I'm talking about.

And reason #2? We've reached the point where nasty contemporary special effects can be blended into retro-70s footage... convincingly.

This movie wouldn't have worked twenty years ago. It works now. Very well, indeed.

If it's still playing near you? SEE it.