Tucker & Dale vs. Evil

Horrornews is a discussion forum for true horror fans to discuss the more obscure areas of the horror/cult/exploitation film genre as well as current theatrical horror.

Moderator: Chris Slack

Remo D

Tucker & Dale vs. Evil

Post by Remo D » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:09 pm

HERE it is, folks--the best time I've had at the movies all year. And unless PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 3 turns out to be some sort of surprise super-masterpiece, here's the one that's almost certainly going to get my annual top honor, comedy or not. You want everything old to be new again? Step right up.

The less you know going in, the better. So here's this much. Tucker and Dale (Alan Lubyk and Tyler Labine) are a pair of hillbilly best friends. They've got themselves a "vacation home" at the site of a twenty-year-old massacre. Vacationing college students show up to party in the area and suspect that T&D are bent on their destruction. *(potential spoiler below)

Just sit back and watch what happens--the combination of graphic splatter and convulsive comedy that follows is nothing short of brilliant (courtesy of writer/director Eli Craig, making his feature film debut)--and that's because it has so much more to offer on top of the gore and the gags--you might not expect it coming from such a film, but this is also one of the best ACTED films of the year. Some of you may be familiar with Lubyk, Labine and female lead Katrina Bowden from their television work, but they were all new to me, and they were all terrific... the true standout being Labine, whose Dale offers far, far more than what you see on the surface.

Okay--they should have dropped the pre-credits sequence (which sets up a potential spoiler) and the "Three Years Earlier" tag, because there's absolutely no follow-up. But that's an easily disposable mistake.

TUCKER & DALE VS. EVIL had me in near-hysterics throughout its running time--it's a cathartic, hilarious splatterfest with a huge human element to make it even better. Do NOT miss this one.

*(potential SPOILER) I have to spell this out somewhere. If you were ever a fan of THREE'S COMPANY, imagine the show at its very best... then imagine it as an unfettered gore movie. Yeah. It's like that.

Chris Slack

Re: Tucker & Dale vs. Evil

Post by Chris Slack » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:44 pm

I liked this a lot. Good, silly fun :)