Asian Zombie films on DVD(NTSC) ever?

The Horrornews forum has been around for years. This is where the wealth of information shared by our community over the years can be read.
razorbackattack

Asian Zombie films on DVD(NTSC) ever?

Post by razorbackattack »

Does anyone know if any North American companies will ever release movies like JUNK, WILD ZERO, VERSUS, etc. on region 0 or region 1 NTSC? I bought one of those Sampo players with the loophole menu and it was a total piece of crap. All the best DVD's these days are coming out in the PAL format or region 2 so I'm out of luck and stuck buying movies like SLUGS!
ROBERT

Post by ROBERT »

For an inexpensive free region player, stick with the Shinco 860,Razor. Or Malata N996 if you want the best. As for the movies you mentioned,if there's North American demand, you'll see them picked up. It just takes awhile.

------------------
Wherever you go,there you are.
"I don't want to be called an "artist." "Acting like an "artist" is synonymous to acting like an asshole."

Asia Argento
Latte Thunder

Post by Latte Thunder »

I'm in the same boat, Razor. I never got a player with the loophole menu and the first oppotunity I get to buy a region free player, I'm going to take it.

It would be nice if someone like Mediablasters would buy the rights to some of these movies and put them out on Region 1 discs but that's pretty expensive and complicated.
[url=http://www.cinema-suicide.com]Cinema Suicide[/url]
[url=http://soundtracks.cinema-suicide.com]Soundtrack Apocalisse[/url]
razorbackattack

Post by razorbackattack »

Thanks for the info Robert, I'll look into those players! I guess I just have to be more patient with these films. I mean, it's not like I'll be able to afford all of them at once anyway. I still really want to see Audition also and many other newer films I've been reading about so much lately.
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

Actually, a lot of Asian horror gets released in Asia on Region free DVD. I know Versus has a region free disc, and I would expect that a lot of the others do too. It's just a matter of finding them.

------------------
"Anarchy means crossing when it says 'Don't Walk'" - TISM
[color=Yellow]11/26/65 - 3/9/05[/color]

[b]i miss nme666 and i approve this message.[/b]
Chris Slack

Post by Chris Slack »

I've looked all over for a region-free DVD of "Versus" to no avail. If you happen to run across one for a reasonable price ("Wild Zero" is too spendy for me at $50+) let me know.

------------------
"Regrettable... I was hoping for a colleague, but at least we have
another experimental subject..." -Mesa of Lost Women

Don't forget to check out our music site Gravemusic.com
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

I've only seen Versus at $50 plus so far too. It's supposedly a bootleg, though, so an offical Asian release will hopefully crop up and lower the price. I can't pay $50 for any DVD, really...no, I guess I payed close to that for my signed Nekromantik DVD, but that's SIGNED, so it's a little different.

------------------

DylanDog

Post by DylanDog »

Well, I rented Versus today and I thought it was crap so I certainly can't recommend dropping $50 on a dvd of it. I didn't even finish watching the movie. I guess if you're an action/martial arts fan, you may like it, but I found it to be rather boring and very stupid. It tries to be way too hip, like a guy at a party hitting on all the girls, but everyone can see how desperate he is, y'know? Kinda sad...Anyway, that's the impression I got from it.

------------------
"In the end they will lay their freedom at our feet and say to us, 'Make us your slaves, but feed us.'" (Dosteovsky's Grand Inquisitor.)
"This must be settled the way nature intended...with a vicious, bloody fight!!"
Onyx Blackman
Principal
Flatpoint High
[url=http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Nekrodave&type=A]DVDS[/url]
[url=http://www.collectiondx.com/gallery/Collections/Nekrodave/]TOYS[/url]
[url=http://www.myspace.com/nekrodave]MySpace[/url]
Latte Thunder

Post by Latte Thunder »

Chris,

you can buy the region free Verus at www.adrenafilm.de -- I think they're in Denmark as the URL would suggest so all the prices are in Deutchmarks and I'm not sure what the going exchange rate is. I do know that the disc is the bootleg and I've also heard that it has some problems playing on ALL DVD players... but that was an issue the company was aware of a while back and they may have fixed it. If you're really interested in it, drop a line over to them and ask what's up with it.

Also worth noting, that site sells a lot of great movies, mostly asian, but they always have a ton of worthwhile movies. They're advertising the Brotherhood of the Wolves DVD right now.
[url=http://www.cinema-suicide.com]Cinema Suicide[/url]
[url=http://soundtracks.cinema-suicide.com]Soundtrack Apocalisse[/url]
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

I didn't see Versus there. I believe DM are worth about 50 cents to the dollar, so half the listed price (though who knows what they'd charge for international shipping). They had Junk, but it was only in PAL.

------------------

Muncher666

Post by Muncher666 »

They also had Wild Zero there, yet another flick I've been searching for. But the DM is only about 5 cents less than the Australian dollar, and it's pretty fucking expensive, particularly WZ which was like 120 DM. Can't you get Junk and WZ from any nice, cheap Asian stores that stock these? Image

Allan.

------------------
"Smoosh the fishy on the bready boardie!" - Swedish Chef
"I pitched the WB a show where Daffy Duck and Bugs Bunny were teenagers, and I was a teenager too, and we were all pirates, but every week we would have different jobs and identities. And they called back and said it was stupid! And that I was stupid too! And let me tell you something. There's nothing stupid about a teenage rabbit teaching good hygiene! NOTHING!" - Space Ghost.
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

If your in Aus, I'd look to e-bay, as many people don't have region free players in America, and so don't bid on PAL discs as much. Don't know how much they go for there, though.

------------------

Muncher666

Post by Muncher666 »

I'm not too fussed about the Region of it, it's the price! Some of the DVD's I want to get are RIDICULOUS, including Wild Zero which is about $110 Australian. Yowch.

Allan.

------------------
"Smoosh the fishy on the bready boardie!" - Swedish Chef
"I pitched the WB a show where Daffy Duck and Bugs Bunny were teenagers, and I was a teenager too, and we were all pirates, but every week we would have different jobs and identities. And they called back and said it was stupid! And that I was stupid too! And let me tell you something. There's nothing stupid about a teenage rabbit teaching good hygiene! NOTHING!" - Space Ghost.
ROBERT

Post by ROBERT »

Christ, and I thought some DVD prices in Canada were a raw deal! Not even close. Wild Zero is going for $29.95 Cnd at Asian stores here.Too bad they're sold out most of the time.Won't have any copies in till December,so I've been told. Ring and Battle Royale are available for 22.95-24.95.CND All region 3 discs. But Ring is like wise very difficult to find, anymore. Collectors pick up multiple copies and sell them on Ebay.ca for 60 bucks or more.

------------------
Wherever you go,there you are.
"I don't want to be called an "artist." "Acting like an "artist" is synonymous to acting like an asshole."

Asia Argento
Chris Slack

Post by Chris Slack »

I bought my region 3 "Battle Royale" DVD at yesasia.com for 10 bucks.

Robert- If you manage to get one of those "wild Zero" DVDs hook me up! I'll give you $29.95 US for it Image
ROBERT

Post by ROBERT »

Chris, I've been trying for a month to snag a copy!(I'll look into more copies,for you) It's just a matter of time.(and availability)These Asian stores,never seem to order enough copies. Guess they think the demand isn't there.

[This message has been edited by ROBERT (edited 11-01-2001).]

Asia Argento