Day of the Dead (R1 vs. R2)

The Horrornews forum has been around for years. This is where the wealth of information shared by our community over the years can be read.
Nocturnaloner

Day of the Dead (R1 vs. R2)

Post by Nocturnaloner » Mon Nov 26, 2001 7:01 pm

I was wondering which version of Day of the Dead is the best to buy.

I know that the Anchor Bay version is widescreen and has some extras but I also know it was one of the first generation of Anchor Bay titles meaning lesser quality than the newer ones (noticable compression artifacts). There are two releases in the UK. The newer one seems to have the same stuff on it as the AB version, but does it have a better picture?

(Yes, this post was ripped almost entirely from the horrordvds.com board. Of course, the people here actually know what multi-region dvd is, so it stands a chance of getting answered.)

Griff [Mola]

Post by Griff [Mola] » Tue Nov 27, 2001 2:42 am

Well, I know there is now a R4 version out which sounds similar to those releases you've mentioned. Its PAL but quite possibly a half-arsed conversion from NTSC. Its got the behind-the-scenes doco, too. Non-anamorphic and dual layered.

The only thing of note is that the audio is apparently 2.0 whereas Anchor Bay's was mono.

You'll probably find that the R2 (UK and not Japan, I presume?) is the same.

REVIEW: http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Reviews/Reviews.asp?ReviewID=761

[This message has been edited by Griff [Mola] (edited 11-27-2001).]

David Austin

Post by David Austin » Tue Nov 27, 2001 12:58 pm

If anyone can correct me on this one, go right ahead...but I'm pretty sure the UK disc (from Arrow, right?) is cut.

If you're a fellow Region 1 dweller, I'd go with the Arrow disc if you can get it cheap. Anchor Bay has made some rumblings about revisiting DAY in the future, or at least after the DAWN OF THE DEAD "Ultimate Edition" with all three versions.

------------------
"Pat yourself on the back and be sure to let your board buddies know what
a Keyboard Commando you are."
"Pat yourself on the back and be sure to let your board buddies know what
a Keyboard Commando you are."