problems w/Ginger Snaps special edition DVD?

The Horrornews forum has been around for years. This is where the wealth of information shared by our community over the years can be read.
Valgamon

problems w/Ginger Snaps special edition DVD?

Post by Valgamon »

I bought the special edition off of ebay. The back of the box claims that it's widescreen, as do all the reviews I've read of it. However, it plays full-frame on both my Apex and Pioneer players. Anyone else have this problem? Is mine defective??
http://www.currentfilm.com/dvdreviewsmark/gingersnapscedvd.html

[This message has been edited by Valgamon (edited 11-28-2001).]
ROBERT

Post by ROBERT »

When I rented the Special Edition DVD, it came out widescreen(1:185) on my player. But I've heard of this fullscreen problem in a review. One other guy said both a widescreen and Pan+ Scan version exists on the dual layer disc. Yet another said there are seperate full screen and widescreen versions of the film, and that some editions are not labeled. All I know for certain is that the disc I rented came out widescreen.
"I don't want to be called an "artist." "Acting like an "artist" is synonymous to acting like an asshole."

Asia Argento
Valgamon

Post by Valgamon »

I just wrote to TVA (the company who produced the DVD) and asked about a replacement. I'm also bitching to the guy who sold it to me on ebay. Image

The disc is indeed dual layer, but I see no way to select widescreen rather than pan-and-scan. I went through pretty much every menu option, no dice. Image

Oh well. At least I've got the entire Macross Saga on DVD, on its way to me. Image
ROBERT

Post by ROBERT »

Go to you're player's menu, select 4:3 Letterbox mode. It should then be widescreen. For some reason it's pan&scan on some players until you access the menu and widescreen, automatically on other players.(Such as mine)
"I don't want to be called an "artist." "Acting like an "artist" is synonymous to acting like an asshole."

Asia Argento
Valgamon

Post by Valgamon »

Dude, you're a friggin' genius. Thanks!!

I had no idea how to do this on my Panasonic player (don't have the manual) - so for anyone in the same boat, go here:
http://www.pasc.panasonic.com/OperMan/FindManual.asp
ROBERT

Post by ROBERT »

Not really. I just take it as a given that these fucking quality control people are not doing their job.

------------------
Wherever you go,there you are.

Asia Argento
Valgamon

Post by Valgamon »

Never been a huge fan of Panasonic, but I have to admit, their website really came through in the clutch here. I would still be pulling my hair out, if not for their online manual retrieval system.

Who would hvae thought that the "action" button on the remote would get you into the menu to switch the DVD player's screen mode?
ROBERT

Post by ROBERT »

I dislike Sony even more. They're electronics never seem to go beyond the 18 month mark, without some serious problem.I've owned several of their products. Panasonic still makes the best dollar for dollar DVD player on the market.The RP91. The absolute best sound and picture,for $600.00 U.S. Certainly not cheap,but it matches the Pioneer Elite series that costs double and up.

Asia Argento