Happiness of the Katakuris

The Horrornews forum has been around for years. This is where the wealth of information shared by our community over the years can be read.
I am 138

Happiness of the Katakuris

Post by I am 138 »

My favorite (so far) Miike film has got official DVD release in the US. I just got my copy in the mail. It has an interview with Miike, a making of, and a commentary (in Japanese w/ English subs). Pretty cool. There may be a few other extras as well, that's just what I remember.
[color=Yellow]11/26/65 - 3/9/05[/color]

[b]i miss nme666 and i approve this message.[/b]
Chris Slack

Post by Chris Slack »

What label is this on?
"Regrettable... I was hoping for a colleague, but at least we have
another experimental subject..." -Mesa of Lost Women
Nocturnaloner

Post by Nocturnaloner »

I think it's Ventura, but also involved are American Cinematheque and Chimera Entertainment, none of which I have ever heard of.

Great disc btw, and a hilarious movie. Highly recommended.
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

It appears to be part of a Chimera/American Cinematheque line put out by the Ventura label.

I got mine through Best Buy online for $20 including shipping. The Lynnwood Best Buy didn't have it in stock, and Suncoast didn't even have it listed as available. Scarecrow probably have some.

Extras:

Commentary
Making of (61 minutes)
TV Spots
Interview with Miike (33 minutes)
Theatrical trailers for upcoming releases through Chimera (haven't watched yet, so don't know if Happiness is on there).

Chris Slack

Post by Chris Slack »

Thanks, sounds like a worthy addition to my Region 3 disk which is as barebones as they get.
"Regrettable... I was hoping for a colleague, but at least we have
another experimental subject..." -Mesa of Lost Women
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

Update: The commentary is available in Japanese or in an English translation. The translation is pretty well done, but it's not Miike talking. He also has a film critic join him; the critic has the honor of being the first guest to die and the first to sing a song in the movie. There are no subs for the Japanese audio commentary.

Nocturnaloner

Post by Nocturnaloner »

I started cracking up when I heard the dubbing from the Miike interview, because it's like, "Hey, let's get the community college acting class to voice this!" but after you get used to it, they do a decent job.

The making of doco is good too. It's subtitled, and it seems like everyone had a great time making the movie, which shows in the finished product. The interplay between Miike and 'Grandpa' is a riot.