Caligula

Horrornews is a discussion forum for true horror fans to discuss the more obscure areas of the horror/cult/exploitation film genre as well as current theatrical horror.

Moderator: Chris Slack

stypees back

Caligula

Post by stypees back »

Was wondering if anyone out there can point me in the direction of where I can find imported versions of this movie.. I'm looking for the dutch double disc and whatever else I can get my hands on. I checked e-bay and came up with nothing :(.... I also want the documentary that was released with the American release years back, like an idiot I sold the dam thing. I'm such a fucking idiot.

Thanks in advance.....

:metalhead treasure your farts:metalhead
[color=DarkSlateBlue]ON TOUR, LIMITED CITIES[/color]

[size=134]STYPEE AND JOYCE[/size]

[color=YellowGreen]LIVE AND IN LOVE: AROUND THE GLOBE[/color]

[font=Courier New]A TOUR YEARS IN THE MAKING![/font]

[color=DarkOrange]COMING TO YOUR TOWN SOON! [/color]

[img]http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/6146/joyce8gz.png[/img]
Darth Tanner

Post by Darth Tanner »

Is this no longer in print? I know I've recently seen a few online merchants selling it. I would look around some. Also keep trying Ebay and Half.com. You can usually find good deals there. There's also Amazon, but collector's items tend to get too high for me. Don't know about import versions, but I'm pretty sure the Unrated region 1 release (which has the documentary) is about as good as it gets. But the film's 30th anniversary is coming up in a few years, so a re-release with a better transfer "could" be in the works. Just keep your eyes open and look around.:cool:
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the heavens. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and so... I am a God." - Malcolm McDowell, CALIGULA
------------------

[url=http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=ctanner5]My DVD collection[/url]
Angelica

Post by Angelica »

Try Scarecrow too. I think they had a few versions but I just rented the region 1 version because they wanted a big deposit to rent any other.
[color="Indigo"][b]NEFARIOUS PRODUCTIONS[/b][/color]

[size=75][color="DarkSlateBlue"]"The lions are out of their cages, and you may well find that they'll eat the mouthy Christians first." - S.K.[/color][/size]

[font="Century Gothic"][b][color="Purple"]Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. - Voltaire[/color][/b][/font]
Darth Tanner

Post by Darth Tanner »

Since this news hasn't been mentioned yet I thought I would chime in. Anybody who is still looking for this movie now has much reason to rejoice. It was actually announced a few months ago and the release is less than a month away, but here goes......

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Caligula Four-Disc Imperial Edition
July 12, 2007
Image is bringing out the cult classic Caligula in style on Oct. 2 (prebook Aug. 21), in a Four-Disc Imperial Edition priced at $39.99.

The movie has been remastered in high-definition from recently uncovered negatives, and two versions will be presented: the unrated, uncensored theatrical version and an alternate pre-release cut featuring never-before-released footage.

And there's more:

*Commentary tracks Malcolm McDowell (recently seen on NBC’s Heroes and HBO’s Entourage as well as starring in the Rob Zombie’s upcoming Halloween) and Helen Mirren (2007 Academy Award and Golden Globe Best Actress Winner for The Queen)

*Extensive, newly filmed interview with director Tinto Brass

*Additional interviews with cast members including: John Steiner, Lori Wagner, and the film’s on-set reporter, Ernest Volkman

*Other bonus features include two versions of the “Making of Caligula” documentary (featuring interviews with the stars and filmmakers as well as writer Gore Vidal)

*hours of never-before-seen deleted and alternate scenes and behind-the-scenes footage

*hundreds of revealing photographs from the set never seen by the public, three theatrical trailers

*a CD containing the full soundtrack release as well as 40 minutes of alternate and unreleased tracks written for the film

*DVD-ROM supplements including Vidal’s original screenplay, an interview with Bob Guccione, three magazine features and more

The unrated and R-rated editions also will be released on single discs priced at $19.99, but then you don't get the special features.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whew! Have to admit I never imagined this film to be getting such lavish treatment. I'm definitely going to be upgrading for sure. Those extras are too good to pass up and the quality sounds like it will be a big improvement over the original DVD release. Can't wait to see that long-lost footage and also read Gore Vidal's original script (which I understand was much different than the final film). It'd also be interesting to hear what Malcolm McDowell and Helen Mirren think of the film:) This very well could be one the best DVD releases of the year.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the heavens. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and so... I am a God." - Malcolm McDowell, CALIGULA
------------------

[url=http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=ctanner5]My DVD collection[/url]
MistressSpin

Post by MistressSpin »

I heard that it is actually a three disc and that the fourth disc, a musical soundtrack, was pulled.
Law of Probability:
The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

[url=http://www.rockmymonkey.com/botb/?id=83]Vote for Ground Zero on RockMyMonkey![/url]
Darth Tanner

Post by Darth Tanner »

MistressSpin wrote:I heard that it is actually a three disc and that the fourth disc, a musical soundtrack, was pulled.
Are you sure about this? Last I heard this was still going to be a four-disc set. I never heard anything about the soundtrack being pulled. Can you tell me where you heard this news from? I actually liked the soundtrack and am glad the CD is being included in this set. Even if they do drop the soundtrack (which I can't imagine why they would this close to the release date), the extensive extras and new transfer will still be reason enough for fans of the film to snatch this up.
------------------

MistressSpin

Post by MistressSpin »

http://www.amazon.com/Caligula-Three-Di ... 539&sr=8-1

Not necessarily real reliable...but that's what I found when I pre-ordered it.....

Edit: Notice statements in reviews...
Law of Probability:
The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

[url=http://www.rockmymonkey.com/botb/?id=83]Vote for Ground Zero on RockMyMonkey![/url]
Freak Bassman

Post by Freak Bassman »

I've got this on VHS.
"Drunkenstein" :skull:

"You've brought me into this dark, dismal, blackened place...... you awful me" - Michale Graves

"I am what you say I am, and I'm nothing to you" - Chris Cavoretto

[url]http://www.myspace.com/freakbassman[/url]
[url]http://www.myspace.com/thefreaksshow[/url]
stypeeforgothispassword

Post by stypeeforgothispassword »

I'm totally stoked about this release, so much so that I actually pre-ordered it the day it was available on amazon.. I was really hoping it was going to get the four disc treatment but what can you do? The soundtrack would have been a really cool addition.
:metalhead treasure your farts:metalhead
Darth Tanner

Post by Darth Tanner »

Well I finally managed to watch "everything" on this set (which was quite a chore considering how much material I had to go through). I'll start out by saying that anyone who is interested in this movie and it's history needs to get this. For starters, the transfer is a big improvement over the previous release and is most likely as good as it will get. The alternate "pre-release" version on disc two omits most of the hardcore scenes and utilizes some cut footage and alternate takes. Some of the re-inserted footage looks soft compared to the rest of the film, but I personally prefer this version to the original theatrical release as it flows better. I listened to the three commentaries and found them to be very candid and informative. I personally thought Malcolm McDowell's commentary was the best but they are all good. There are also a bunch of deleted scenes (without sound) that are slightly interesting but don't really add anything to the film. The third disc includes documentaries on the making of the film and some behind-the-scenes footage and photos. There are also newly filmed interviews with Tinto Brass, John Steiner and Lori Wagner. Rounding out the extras are trailers and some great DVD-ROM extras (including two versions of the script, the novelization, publicity materials and the Penthouse pictorials covering the making of the film). The only thing missing is the soundtrack CD which was most likely dropped for legal reasons. But that is just a small disappointment in what is otherwise a great set. This could very well be one of the best DVD releases this year despite the fact that it may be overshadowed by the upcoming BLADE RUNNER set (which will be even more exhaustive in itself considering it has five(!) versions of the film among other things). Anyone who is a fan of CALIGULA should definitely bag this set as it is worth every penny.

Note: I should point out that the John Steiner and Lori Wagner interviews were directed by our very own Bruce Holecheck. I've always wondered what happened to him and now I know:) It's nice to see that one of our old forum members is obviously doing very well for himself:cheers:
------------------