3 reviews and a question to the masses

Horrornews is a discussion forum for true horror fans to discuss the more obscure areas of the horror/cult/exploitation film genre as well as current theatrical horror.

Moderator: Chris Slack

chemical boy

3 reviews and a question to the masses

Post by chemical boy »

Slither: I didn't see this as much of a horror film, don't get me wrong I liked it and all in fact I watched it twice in a forty eight hour period which is rare for me.
Still I saw it more as a horror comedy focusing on the gross out factor as opossed to the freak out or gore factor.
Furthermore, I got a spoof feeling off this film like they were poking fun at the horror flicks of the sixties and fifties
point it didn't frighten me at all just kept me rivited with the great makeup and creature creation aka the Brenda Ball awsome scene!
am I glad I bought it yes, will I watch it again definetly

Beyond the Wall of Sleep:
A mind fuck and a half!
This had the Lions Gate lable for production so I was a little worried about the suckiness factor being overly apparent but hey sometimes they do the job right and in this case as with The Devils Rejects I was pleased.

Now a coupple of points one, this film is in black and white and made me think of Borris Karloff to an extreme degree two do not blink or you will miss some important shit! Ever see The Snake Pit? Take the patients in that movie give them Acid or Shrooms and there's your movie
by the time it was over I didn't know whether I enjoyed it or was just seriously weirded out and mentally exausted maybe a little of both
Still I would recomend it to you all.

The Hill Have Eyes: I liked it despite its mixed reviews
more gore I think would have made it better I think of it more as a texas chainsaw wanna be and that's really all I have to say towards that

Now for my question, am I the only one who thinks horror films are seriously getting watered down? In other words they aren't spilling enough blood or slipting enough skulls these days?
It's like they want you to be scared but not too scared...I mean common tramatize me for christ sake I can take it
I mean if my mind was that sensetive do you think I would watch these films no!
I'd be in the Disney section comparing The Little Mermaid to Princes Jasmine
ooooh that hurt just typing it!
Seems to me horrors going soft...maybe you guys could recomend some titles to change my mind.
C.B.
Evil Red

Post by Evil Red »

chemical boy wrote:
Now a coupple of points one, this film is in black and white and made me think of Borris Karloff to an extreme degree two do not blink or you will miss some important shit! Ever see The Snake Pit? Take the patients in that movie give them Acid or Shrooms and there's your movie
by the time it was over I didn't know whether I enjoyed it or was just seriously weirded out and mentally exausted maybe a little of both
Still I would recomend it to you all.
Hmmm... so we almost agree on something. Heh, odd.

The Snake Pit is one of my favorite black/white's and stars one of my favorite 1940's actresses; Olivia de Havilland, but I'd disagree with the Karloff reference mainly because it seems to set the wrong image if you arn't familiar with it. Plus, the charecters in that movie wouldn't have known what acid was in 1948. haha
No need anyhow. They're all in a mental institution.
There's a bunch of really fucking great b/w's that essentially are one giant mental clusterfuck. 1940's Hollywood pumped out some seriously awesome movies. ~Several that are in my all time favorites. Frankly, I'm a little surprised to see this title pop up. Not many people (these days) are familiar with it. :cheers:
I made the Devil do it.
chemical boy

good humor

Post by chemical boy »

I saw The Snake Pit about six years ago....and I suppose it would be safer to reference Cocain or Heroin as the drug of choice although I could be wrong.
Not to familar with 1940 psyco therepy really.
Still if you like films set in institutions then Beyond the Wall of Sleep is a must see I was supposed to let a friend borrow it today but parting with any of my babies is difficult for me to many of them got stolen.
So in conclusion, watch the aformentioned film and tell me what you think
C.B.