No Country For Old Men

As in not off. If you want to post about mainstream flicks, this is the forum.

Moderator: Chris Slack

Remo D

No Country For Old Men

Post by Remo D »

Sorry--I would have posted about this one sooner, but my computer died for about a week...

In a nutshell, the rumors are true--this is one of the very best from the Coen Brothers--but not for a weird sense of humor, not for wild and wooly camera tricks or any other "quirks." This one goes for the throat--and gets it--with richly believable characters, near-unbearable suspense and violence, and an attitude that's coming home to stay.

You're probably aware of the specifics--Josh Brolin (so good as the zombified Dr. Block in GRINDHOUSE/PLANET TERROR) could stand to improve the quality of living for himself and his wife, and fate just happens to lead him to a fortune in drug money. He had nothing to do with the deal that went sour, but he was first on the scene, so why not just help himself to the satchel?

(This would make a perfect double bill with BEFORE THE DEVIL KNOWS YOUR DEAD in its 'what could possibly go wrong' chutzpah.)

Long story short, one of the most compellingly remorseless sociopaths in the history of the movies--Javier Bardem as Sigurh--is soon on the case. And maybe--just maybe--Sheriff Tommy Lee Jones might be able to run interference here (don't count on Woody Harrelson).

As if the story and performances weren't gripping enough, the Coens infuse plenty of cinematic innovation along the way (again, no wild and crazy camera, no Bruce Campbell or Sam Raimi cameos that I could spot), but Sigurh's weapon of choice is thoroughly original (as are many other details), the stalking scenes and bursts of graphic violence are masterfully twisted... oh, and once again, the best "jump" moment of the year is NOT to be found in a horror movie. No spoilers.

Spoilers, in fact, would do this movie a greater disservice than others. You may have heard frustration expressed regarding the film's ending? Well, you may not WANT it, but in the end, you're likely to accept it. The movie is bold, uncompromising and COMPLETELY unapologetic.

And yet it found both an audience AND critical respect.

Imagine that.
My dog's breath smells like peanut butter...

...and I don't even have a dog!