Midnight Meat Train

Horrornews is a discussion forum for true horror fans to discuss the more obscure areas of the horror/cult/exploitation film genre as well as current theatrical horror.

Moderator: Chris Slack

Chris Slack

Midnight Meat Train

Post by Chris Slack »

I just got back from Ryuhei Kitamura's (Versus, Godzilla Final Wars) adaptation of one of the many great stories from Clive Barker's "Books of Blood." While a little bit felt line padding (not much) to make the short story a feature length film overall it was pretty damn good.

A photographer sets out to capture the "real" big city and comes across a mysterious man who he suspects is related to a murder. He follows him around and finds out some pretty messed up stuff. I can't go into much more detail without spoiling things though.

Kitamura delivers some awesome visuals and a decent mixture of CGI and traditional FX brings the sauce one would expect. The acting is convincing though at times some of the cast goes a little too over the top to be really believable. Vinnie Jones is awesome as the baddie in this and MMA fans will enjoy the cameo from Quinton "Rampage Jackson." Ted Raimi also gets some decent screen time in a supporting role.

Unfortunately Lions Gate is being particularly odd regarding the distribution of this film, only opening it on 100 screens and all of them at discount theaters. There has also been little promotion, I have not seen a single TV spot. Although it is cool that I got to see a great movie on opening weekend for two bucks I can't see it getting a decent box office when people are only paying a buck or two to see it. The limited distribution forced me to drive 50 miles to see it (Starplex in Federal Way) but it was worth the trip.

Check this one out before it disappears. Barker fans will love it, others should definitely enjoy it as well.
"Regrettable... I was hoping for a colleague, but at least we have
another experimental subject..." -Mesa of Lost Women
Evil Red

Post by Evil Red »

OH! OH! OH!!!!!

I'm not even reading what you wrote (yet) simply to not hear any takes on it yet, but we discovered this was playing last night and are hitting it up next weekend!!!

Good god, I'm so excited! I'll have NEVER driven so damn far just for a movie before, and with the iffy release, it was looking like I wasn't going to see it in the theatre at all, so YEAY!!!!

VIVA CLIVE BARKER!!!

https://starplex.tstickets.com/starplex ... treid=1012
I made the Devil do it.
Chris Slack

Post by Chris Slack »

I hope it's still playing next weekend :)
Evil Red

Post by Evil Red »

It is. I called the theatre in a mad-panic this morning. :)
I made the Devil do it.
Remo D

Post by Remo D »

If the damn thing ever gets near me... why do you think I'm in semi-retirement?
My dog's breath smells like peanut butter...

...and I don't even have a dog!
Evil Red

Post by Evil Red »

I just re-re-re-RE read the story again in antici.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... pation of this weekend. :cheers:
I made the Devil do it.
Evil Red

Post by Evil Red »

I LOVED it and was especially happy to see Clive's paintings' featured in the gallery scene. I'll be buying this as soon as it's for sale and am really hoping that he tosses in a bunch of extras.

GO SEE IT BEFORE IT LEAVES! :metalhead
I made the Devil do it.
Remo D

Post by Remo D »

Evil Red wrote:I LOVED it and was especially happy to see Clive's paintings' featured in the gallery scene. I'll be buying this as soon as it's for sale and am really hoping that he tosses in a bunch of extras.

GO SEE IT BEFORE IT LEAVES! :metalhead
I'd settle for it SHOWING UP!!!!!!

Chris Slack

Post by Chris Slack »

Comcast cable subscribers: This is on Fearnet OnDemand for free right now. I just turned on the HD version so I am not sure if they have an SD version. Check it out if you missed it's crappy theatrical run or if you just want to see it again.
Remo D

Post by Remo D »

Yes, indeed--caught me completely by surprise and I must say I enjoyed the hell out of it--nice expansion of the story without any of the nasty business being downplayed!

Evil Red

Post by Evil Red »

Watched it again the other day. Fuck yeah! :metal:

But... when the hell is the DVD being released???
I made the Devil do it.
MuC

Post by MuC »

caught this on demand...some good stuff fo sho...definatly gonna check it out again...:metalhead
[url=http://www.myspace.com/dissonance]dissonance[/url]
[url=http://www.myspace.com/pillbrigade]pill brigade[/url]

ABORTION KILLS!!!! isnt that the point?...i love [url=http://www.bountyhunterinc.com/]bounty hunter[/url]

...with glowing pride I'll wear my scars...I'm honored by your hatred...

M-u-C...see you real soon...
MetalGoddess

Post by MetalGoddess »

MuC wrote:caught this on demand...some good stuff fo sho...definatly gonna check it out again...:metalhead
Me too. F'in awesome!
[color="Magenta"][font="Century Gothic"][b][i][SIZE="2"][url]http://www.myspace.com/metalgoddesscarrie[/url][/SIZE][/i][/b][/font][/color]
Irrylath

Post by Irrylath »

heeeeeey. I just read this story. Uhhh....hopefully, I'll see this movie someday.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats.
- - - Albert Schweitzer

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v694/irrylath76/mordor.jpg[/img]
Evil Red

Post by Evil Red »

Irrylath wrote:heeeeeey. I just read this story.
Haha. It's about time! ;)
I made the Devil do it.
steven_millan

Post by steven_millan »

Remo D wrote:Yes, indeed--caught me completely by surprise and I must say I enjoyed the hell out of it--nice expansion of the story without any of the nasty business being downplayed!

Same goes for me,for the splatter and gore here was extremely nasty(even if most of it is CGI),Vinnie Jones made a nice and creepy silent baddie(since he's practically become the British Richard Lynch[of this deacde]),and the finale was an absolute knockout(and quite a grim and dark one,too),for major shame on Lionsgate for not properly releasing this film(like it fully deserved) :headshot::machine::chainsaw::chainsaw:.
Irrylath

Post by Irrylath »

Loved it.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats.
- - - Albert Schweitzer

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v694/irrylath76/mordor.jpg[/img]