Serious Killer

The Horrornews forum has been around for years. This is where the wealth of information shared by our community over the years can be read.
Chris Slack

Serious Killer

Post by Chris Slack »

Serious Killer (AKA Asesino en Serio) (2002)
Mexico
North American Premiere
Director: Antonio Urrutia

Jesus Ochoa plays a cop assigned to find the perpetrator of a series of hooker killings in which each of the prostitutes dies with a smile on her face, the victims of “el ultimo orgasmo”, the ultimate orgasm. The murder trail leads towards a corrupt priest (played with great restraint by Santiago Segura) who promises the solution to the murders so long as he agrees to keep the techniques leading up to the deaths a secret.

This movie reminded me a lot of the European sex comedies of the ‘70s (ludicrous comedic plot and lots of nudity) but with better looking ladies and a visual flair reminiscent of De La Iglesia or Almodavar. Ochoa did a fine job as the morally ambiguous cop wrestling the temptation to learn the secrets of providing the “ultimate pleasure” to women. I was expecting the usual over-the-top performance by Santiago Segura (who, along with Guillermo Del Toro, co-produced the movie) but was surprised at how subdued his portrayal of the priest was. Don’t get me wrong, he did a great job but when I think of Segura I think of a raving lunatic, not a mellow (but still zany) priest. All in all it was an entertaining 84 minutes. I wouldn’t recommend shelling out big money for an import of this but would strongly suggest checking it out if it comes to a local cinema or video store.
"Regrettable... I was hoping for a colleague, but at least we have
another experimental subject..." -Mesa of Lost Women