Rockband

This forum is for discussion of console and PC games.

Moderator: Chris Slack

skankdrummer

Rockband

Post by skankdrummer »

its ok i guess. the drums are not that great . but the other stuff is ok. the songs are not as cool as Guitar Hero. anyone else pick this up ?
[url]http://www.myspace.com/skankdrummersdemos[/url]
DRUMS - Motley Ju.

Availible for Studio Work.
Latte Thunder

Post by Latte Thunder »

I played it at a friend's place yesterday. I've been desperately wanting it since I first heard about it back in March.

I thought it was outstanding. We had a four person band playing and the entire experience was a little chaotic since my friend Mike and I were the only ones really familiar with Guitar Hero and the system. I got a little time on all the instruments minus bass and loved it all. The Guitar Hero formula has changed a little bit and it took some getting used to to recognize when you could hammer on and pull off. The vocals were fun but not entirely engaging since most of the time I was on key even when singing Run To The Hills. I still can't figure out how the mic knows what you're doing. There's obviously some kind of tuner in there to figure out your pitch and judge flat or sharp based on what you're supposed to be singing.

The drums, though. Man, that was some fun shit. I've played for a long time and it was a real challenge to hold back and only hit what I needed to hit on the lower difficulty settings since it doesn't always prompt you to hit the kick drum on every kick. Giving you license to improvise fills every now and then was cool as hell, though. My only real gripe with the drum set is how every pad is joined together so you can't move the pieces around to positions that you feel comfortable with. If I had that option, I would have moved the hats/ride/crash into places I usually play with the snare pad between my legs like I've always had. That would have been a major improvement but a logistical nightmare from a manufacturing perspective. I can only hope for a more diverse third party controller that will probably never get made. The pads are also a little too small and I found myself hitting the rims and missing notes because I was too busy watching the screen to see what came next. I also can't tell you how many times I hit the X button accidentally when trying to hit a tom pad. I just wonder what kind of a beating those things can take before they stop working. I naturally hit hard and even when I was trying to rein it in. I also played the kick like I usually do with my heel off the floor and wound up slamming down on the pedal on every kick. It seems a little flimsy and suggests that you're usually supposed to keep your foot all the way on the floor so as not to destroy it. At $80 for a separate drum set and the demo units at Best Buy having a reputation for crapping out quickly after a lot of use from drummers and non-drummers alike, I can see this game becoming a real investment.

I love the set list, too. There are plenty of songs that I liked a lot less nu-metal than Guitar Hero 2 (I didn't bother with 3) but some pop stuff that I just don't give a shit about (Chili Peppers, Smashing Pumpkins) but that's a real minor gripe. Most of the songs I didn't like in GH2 turned out to be some of the most fun to play. With the DLC coming out fairly frequently, though, there's probably plenty of options for everyone. I already have high hopes and requests for some of their whole-album downloads (I want ALL of Queens of the Stone Age Songs For The Deaf).

I won't get this until after christmas, most likely, but I have my eyes on the prize. Harmonix managed to take a perfect formula make it better, add infinite replayability and create the ultimate social game. Now if they could just reel it in a little and focus on support rather than developing another sequel to be released a few months down the line. Between the Live Marketplace and whatever PS3's equivalent is, they could make a killing on microtransactions.
[url=http://www.cinema-suicide.com]Cinema Suicide[/url]
[url=http://soundtracks.cinema-suicide.com]Soundtrack Apocalisse[/url]
Morbid

Post by Morbid »

The drums could be better, I'm used to my snare being so far off to the left and my high hat right in front of me... but oh well, for a video game it is acceptable.

I think it would be better if the notes you hit were just guides, and you can freestyle it more like some drummers do, it would actually be a lot more fun.
Morbid

Post by Morbid »

I'm loving Band World Tour, especially trying to sing and play guitar at the same time ahahaha, I've got some pretty amazing bands...

KUHVOLT
Love Cannon Surprise!
The Blastbeats
GoatCraftTorment
Boxer Head